Maybe Folkstyle State tournament has simply just outgrown its current format. The tournament may have been ran well considering the number of athletes and the limited amount of mats used but in todays world time is very important and people will focus on it.
Maybe its time we went to regions and had actualy qualifying tournaments. Then those top 8 wrestlers advance to the state tournament.
If Folkstyle continues to grow, then we made need to evaluate the way in which we do things simply beause the numbers may get to big for one venue on one day.
I just want to make a few points:
1. The ISWA used to have sectionals to qualify for the state tournament. This seems like a reasonable approach. I haven't really thought much about how it would affect middle school schedules etc.
2. If you think Ohio runs great tournaments, you haven't wrestled much in Ohio.
3. I think the ISWA runs some of the finest youth tournaments in the country. In fact, IMO one of the faults of the ISWA is that they may be too accommodating to people, e.g.; people sprawled out all over the hallways where coaches have to run (now single-file) from gym to gym for 10 hours, people congregating at the entrance/exits, people mobbing the floor, people planting their chairs in one place and then standing all day in the walking areas, people with queen size blow-up mattresses in the damn hallways, psycho coaches arguing calls while the 7-year-olds stand and watch etc etc etc etc et cetcetcetcetcetectcetectectec!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw at least 10 guys who should have been thrown out and probably 400 that should have been forced to move their camp sites.
4. I love the same mat pairing.
5. This was supposed to be a two day event and I feel like if it was more people would be raving about it.
6. Venue... there simply isn't any venue that can accommodate the number of mats we need with any quality of seating. So if seating and crowd control are a big part of the problem, we should think about further separating the age groups in to different events. I actually think this might add to the notoriety and prestige of winning one of the tournaments, as more of a focus could be made of the final matches. Again, I'm not sure how feasible that is, but it makes sense to me.