Mason Parris and Company @ MSU Open

navy80

Mason wins the tournament with scores of 10-1, fall, 10-4, and fall over defending MAC champ who went 28-15 last year. 

Darden Schurg of Wabash won 174lbs. Drew Hughes of MSU took 3rd. They did not meet up.Last year Schurg went 39-4 and finished 4th in D3. Hughes I believe had several good wins in D1 but got injured?

Several other Indiana wrestlers competed and placed.

As mentioned, 14-second fall in the final over MAC champ and NCAA #16 seed at nationals, Matt Stencel. 

Semi's win was 10-4 over redshirt senior Zack Parker of Ohio, who had a D1 winning record last year and picked up quarterfinal and 3rd-place match wins in this tournament over the D2 national runner-up. 

Quarters win was a 36-second fall over Michigan State's backup heavy who went 12-6 unattached last year.

First round win was 10-1 over Central Michigan backup Jenkins who was a Michigan 285 state champ a couple years ago and won half his matches last year wrestling unattached.

11 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Is Mason looking at redshirting this year for sure or is that still to be determined?  I don't see a better option on their roster.

Should be interesting. As much as Michigan is bringing back, I'm sure it will be super tempting to lift his redshirt when the only other two options on the team probably will have very limited chances of scoring points in important duals or at Big 10's.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.