Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
stateorbust

Shawn Streck

Recommended Posts

He got in trouble for threatening his ex girlfriend. He was arrested and suspended from school. He's out now, but there is an ongoing investigation. This happened about a month ago, so I'm not sure where everything stands right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That stinks. I hope everything turns out ok. I don't understand the guilty until proven innocent approach that the university is taking tho. I know that Purdue has become an extremely liberal college as of lately, but if he is proven innocent in a court of law, then what about the time he has missed in the class room and on the mat because they treated him as guilty from the start. But, if he is guilty, then I hope he gets the help he needs to move past this and learn to deal better with his emotions. Either way it's sad to hear.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stateorbust said:

That stinks. I hope everything turns out ok. I don't understand the guilty until proven innocent approach that the university is taking tho. I know that Purdue has become an extremely liberal college as of lately, but if he is proven innocent in a court of law, then what about the time he has missed in the class room and on the mat because they treated him as guilty from the start. But, if he is guilty, then I hope he gets the help he needs to move past this and learn to deal better with his emotions. Either way it's sad to hear.  

Part of it is that he sent a picture of himself holding a gun to this girl, which he admitted to. So there is guilt here, there’s a few more things to look into. Here’s an article about it. https://www.purdueexponent.org/campus/article_566f70bc-d3d6-11e8-94df-ffe9ffc3bb22.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stateorbust said:

That stinks. I hope everything turns out ok. I don't understand the guilty until proven innocent approach that the university is taking tho. I know that Purdue has become an extremely liberal college as of lately, but if he is proven innocent in a court of law, then what about the time he has missed in the class room and on the mat because they treated him as guilty from the start. But, if he is guilty, then I hope he gets the help he needs to move past this and learn to deal better with his emotions. Either way it's sad to hear.  

Agree it is sad. Purdue is relatively conservative and by the book, not extremely liberal. The Purdue President Mitch Daniels is former Republican Governor or Indiana and was going to be the guy running for president a few years back.  He went after the cost of college education by freezing tuition costs for last 5 years with cuts to dead weight - that was not so popular with the liberal teaching/indoctrination crowd, but he has steadfastly won over alumni, parents, students in his time. Very visible on campus and supporter of wrestling.

Now as to the original post of Streck, very disappointed in the incident; most importantly, let's hope he gets help needed, and he and the young woman can safely move on. No excuses, it's a tough situation to lose your wrestling & academic career over. With technology & social media today, videos, emails, Snapchat, texts, etc. far more complex issues than years before to make some really stupid mistakes and have it recorded. Reminder to teach our children relationship management, but we are all not innocent of being hurt or verbally hurting others in love & war.   Would not be surprised of other outside stress issues impacting as well.

 On the mat, he was a round-of-12-guy this year IMO.

Not a great situation for the coach either. Rumblings of restless alumni in output and program handling last few years. Recruiting rankings only go so far. Bewilderment of weight class bouncing, bumping/cutting and management has been one issue heard. Bringing in Tanelli as assistant was viewed as a big mistake.  But there is a real solid assistant in Todd, and let's hope the Schopp hiring works well, on paper seems good. But at the end of the say, results will matter. 

Dylan Lydy's growth could be a job saver. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Powerline said:

Agree it is sad. Purdue is relatively conservative and by the book, not extremely liberal. The Purdue President Mitch Daniels is former Republican Governor or Indiana and was going to be the guy running for president a few years back.  He went after the cost of college education by freezing tuition costs for last 5 years with cuts to dead weight - that was not so popular with the liberal teaching/indoctrination crowd, but he has steadfastly won over alumni, parents, students in his time. Very visible on campus and supporter of wrestling.

Now as to the original post of Streck, very disappointed in the incident; most importantly, let's hope he gets help needed, and he and the young woman can safely move on. No excuses, it's a tough situation to lose your wrestling & academic career over. With technology & social media today, videos, emails, Snapchat, texts, etc. far more complex issues than years before to make some really stupid mistakes and have it recorded. Reminder to teach our children relationship management, but we are all not innocent of being hurt or verbally hurting others in love & war.   Would not be surprised of other outside stress issues impacting as well.

 On the mat, he was a round-of-12-guy this year IMO.

Not a great situation for the coach either. Rumblings of restless alumni in output and program handling last few years. Recruiting rankings only go so far. Bewilderment of weight class bouncing, bumping/cutting and management has been one issue heard. Bringing in Tanelli as assistant was viewed as a big mistake.  But there is a real solid assistant in Todd, and let's hope the Schopp hiring works well, on paper seems good. But at the end of the say, results will matter. 

Dylan Lydy's growth could be a job saver. 

Where are you hearing all this about the program? Surprising, after the past few years have been better and first class which was only decent are redshirt juniors, with Lydy and Limmex being ranked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Purdue wrestling is going in the right direction,  another top 20 Dual Ranking, and wrestling a tough schedule with CK in Vegas, South Beach Duals, and obviously the rigors of the BIG10 Schedule.  FLO has Purdue kids Ranked at 125, 141, 157, 174, 197, (and would be HWT).  That would be 6 (depending on the outcome of Streck).  May not beat PSU, IOWA or OSU, but guessing will be pretty competitive with the remainder of the Big10,  Improved results, will improve recruiting - and it is a cycle - Ersland has not even had time yet to complete a 4 year cycle.  The kids coming in now - want to be there, and understand what it takes, and the momentum is definitely going upward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Thor said:

Where are you hearing all this about the program? Surprising, after the past few years have been better and first class which was only decent are redshirt juniors, with Lydy and Limmex being ranked. 

Purdue has always had guys ranked and been a perennial top 20-25 team ranking due to wrestling in the Big Ten. But last AA was in 2013, with some tough losses in round-of-12 since then.

"Ersland has not even had time yet to complete a 4 year cycle"? This is year 5, hired in year 2014. His stalwarts were previously recruited guys except for Lydy, who was always a Purdue lean.... Your 4* 157lb face of the recruiting class was pinned 5 times last year, and you are about to lose grip on Indiana's best with Angel at IU, etc.....It's time for results..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 5:00 PM, Powerline said:

Purdue has always had guys ranked and been a perennial top 20-25 team ranking due to wrestling in the Big Ten. But last AA was in 2013, with some tough losses in round-of-12 since then.

"Ersland has not even had time yet to complete a 4 year cycle"? This is year 5, hired in year 2014. His stalwarts were previously recruited guys except for Lydy, who was always a Purdue lean.... Your 4* 157lb face of the recruiting class was pinned 5 times last year, and you are about to lose grip on Indiana's best with Angel at IU, etc.....It's time for results..

I believe he came into head coach position late 2014 - so his full recruiting class was class of 2015 which would have wrestled in 2016.  Assuming redshirts - his first FULL year of recruiting would be RSSophs right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Boilerwrestling said:

I believe he came into head coach position late 2014 - so his full recruiting class was class of 2015 which would have wrestled in 2016.  Assuming redshirts - his first FULL year of recruiting would be RSSophs right now.

This is his 5th year of coaching - signed 5/23/2014 for the 2014-2015 season  and his 5th recruiting class.

His first recruiting class are either RS-JR's or true Seniors this year. 

 https://purduesports.com/news/2014/5/23/Tony_Ersland_Named_Head_Wrestling_Coach.aspx?path=wrestling

  • Year 1 = 2014-2015
  • Year 2 = 2015-2016
  • Year 3 = 2016-2017
  • Year 4= 2017-2018
  • Year 5 = 2018-2019

Guys in bold are still on roster or finished all 5 years, cross out means quit or transferred. Red are projected starters

Class of 2013 - (Freshman 2013-2014)  Coach = Hinkel - graduated 2018

Garth Lakitsky

PA

285

Luke Welch

IN

125/133

Cody Pae (graduated early)

MO

133/141

Josh Farrell

IN

149/157

Andrew Geers

IL

285

Aaron Assad

OH

125

Jacob Morrissey

WI

174/184

 

Ersland Year 1 - Class of 2014 - (Freshman 2014-2015) (RS Seniors)

Earsland Coached (Hinkel signed 5 of 6)

Peter Andreotti

IL

165

Austin McCloskey

IN

165/174

Ben Thornton

WI

125/133

Jonathan Marmolejo*

IL

125/133

Mario Leveille

IL

141/149

Jacob Aven

IN

197

 

 

Ersland Year 2 - Class of 2015 - Freshman 2015-2016  (RS-JR’s or Seniors)

Cole Wysocki

IL

141/149

Angus Arthur

MI

197

Austin Nash

NJ

133/141

Nate Limmex

MI

141 

Jonathan Morales

IN

184/197

Dylan Lydy

IN

174/ 

James Ford

OH

285

Gavin Murray

NJ

157

 

Ersland Year 3 - Class of 2016 - Freshman 2016-2017 (RS-So’s or Juniors)

Christian Brunner

IL

197

Shawn Streck

IN

285

Griffin Parriott

MN

157

Kobe Woods

IN

197/285

Devin Schroder

MI

125

 

Ersland Year 4 - Class of 2017 - FRESHMAN 2017-2018  (RS Freshman or Sophomores)

Tanner Webster

IN

174/184

Parker Filius

MT

141/149

Alec White

IN

133

Anthony Falbo

CT

174/184

Abdullah Assaf

IL

141

Max Lyon

IA

184

 

Ersland Year 5 - Class of 2018 - Freshman 2018-2019 (True Freshman)

Terrin Machart

MI

125

Kendall Coleman

IL

149/157

Zach Melloh

IN

149

Emil Soehnlen

OH

184

Nathan Cummings

IL

125

 

Ersland Year 6 - Class of 2019 - not enrolled yet - Freshman 2019-2020

Eli Pokorney

IN

285

Travis Ford-Melton

IL

133

Michael Leveille

IL

125/133

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.