Weight Classes, just for discussion

Coach Mikesell

Hypothetical, what would your team look like with these weights?  I am putting 15 weights, makes more sense to me, no chance for a tie if you have 15 and I would rather add a weight to get to 15 than go to 13.  

110, 117, 124, 131, 138, 145, 155, 160, 165, 175, 189, 215, 235, 285. 

Just for discussion, thoughts? 

Mikesell

31 minutes ago, Coach Mikesell said:

Hypothetical, what would your team look like with these weights?  I am putting 15 weights, makes more sense to me, no chance for a tie if you have 15 and I would rather add a weight to get to 15 than go to 13.  

110, 117, 124, 131, 138, 145, 155, 160, 165, 175, 189, 215, 235, 285. 

Just for discussion, thoughts? 

Mikesell

When you say no chance for a tie, what are you referencing?  There could still be a tie score -- do you mean the 1st TB could become matches won and that would decide the team winner?

Our team would increase the number of forfeits in most years considering you're adding a bigger weight. Also the theres a lot of 106s are struggling to make 100 and I don't see that considering most 113 pounders are already cutting to get there that they would continue to cut to make 110. I think 14 weight classes is perfect. I also don't see the point of having 3 weight classes above 200 considering there's only 1 in college.  This is all just opinion. 

Good point with only having one class above 200 in college. Maybe adding a weight class somewhere else or possibly adjusting a couple of lower classes would  be beneficial. But until they add another wieght to college 14 is perfect. Imagine how different Kyle Snyder would be if there was a weight class for him in the lower 200s.

22 hours ago, Coach Mikesell said:

Yes, win 8 weights is first criteria 

My 106 is 88 as well, but that is pretty rare, what is the statistics for FF"s at 106?  I have three kids who can get to 109, but not 106.  So the 88#er gets spot by default.  Just wondering what national stats are.  any insight? 

Mikesell

I get that its the most forfeits - but this is the one different weight class - turns into a safety issue, and the possibility of that 88lbs quitting and creating even more forfeits that weight - its about giving him an opportunity to wrestle that we have the weight class - to me the # of FF's there don't matter --- he gets to wrestle, he likes it, he keeps wrestling and becomes your 132 in a few years........or, he wrestles, hates it due to this, and quits creating more forfeits at 106, and in a few years more forfeits on a team cause he isn't there to wrestle an upper weight one day.

1 hour ago, dstruck said:

I get that its the most forfeits - but this is the one different weight class - turns into a safety issue, and the possibility of that 88lbs quitting and creating even more forfeits that weight - its about giving him an opportunity to wrestle that we have the weight class - to me the # of FF's there don't matter --- he gets to wrestle, he likes it, he keeps wrestling and becomes your 132 in a few years........or, he wrestles, hates it due to this, and quits creating more forfeits at 106, and in a few years more forfeits on a team cause he isn't there to wrestle an upper weight one day.

Amen!

This strikes a nerve with me. My freshman son is 85lbs soaking wet, but he's a pretty decent wrestler. He can compete with bigger kids, but giving up +20lbs is a stretch (particularly to the Cottey's, Dalton's, & Nelson's, etc). 

Competing on a level playing field was the whole reason that I encouraged him to wrestle. He wrestles year-round in the academies, and I can assure you there are a number of very good kids at or around his weight. Many parents just hold their kids back; who can blame them. We can't, in good conscience, do that, so one way or the other he's going to take his lumps. It is what it is. I understand the rationale, but given how hard he (and the other little guys) have worked; the idea of 110 as the lowest class gets me a bit frosty.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.