Notre Dame

doctorWrestling

Hahaha. That’s funny. They have the one of the largest endowments in the country. It is like $12B. They could fund full scholarships for everyone on the team and their siblings. 

It was a title IX issue in 1993 when they dropped it originally. I imagine wrestling still maintains step-child status as they have booming female sports that need equity. 

Here you go: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1992-04-14-9202030488-story.html 

If you read between the lines, it is about equal number of male/female sports scholarships and nothing to do with the $300k it takes to fund the program. Adhering to athletic governance to protect any possible impropriety far outweighs adding a program that would put the university in the crosshairs with anything NCAA IMO. 

ND originally had an endowment to support the wrestling program, but some of the powers in charge convinced the mans widow that the money could be better used if it was allocated elsewhere.  After that problem gram didn’t have the support to keep going.  I’m not sure our state can support another DI program until we first get IU and Purdue consistently in the mid-levels of Big10 with a good amount of home grown talent. 

It would do wonders for the area to have a D1 program available.  Especially if the staff and wrestlers were available for camps or instruction at ISWA RTC's.  Michigan for example offers training through their Olympic level RTC for youth who qualify.  I actually don't know where the nearest D2 or D3 program is to South Bend - probably Manchester which isn't exactly close.  I know it will probably never happen, but there is a real need in the area for that level of instruction and opportunity.  With more programs adopting women's wrestling when starting their programs it seems money and effort are all that are missing and they have the money.  I wouldn't care if they got every kid from NJ if it benefited the kids in the area.

Edited by doctorWrestling

Once Notre Dame lost the wrestling endowment, the program was folded.  ND would not dilute other Indiana D1 programs since most students are from out of state.  

Title IX killed most college wrestling programs.  These are the former Indiana college wrestling programs lost to Title IX (off the top of my head): Franklin, Hanover, DePauw, Evansville, Valpo, Indiana State (lost coach and endowment to ND), Huntington, Taylor, and Anderson.  Ball State and Earlham lost their programs prior to Title IX.   

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:15 AM, FC118 said:

Once Notre Dame lost the wrestling endowment, the program was folded.  ND would not dilute other Indiana D1 programs since most students are from out of state.  

Title IX killed most college wrestling programs.  These are the former Indiana college wrestling programs lost to Title IX (off the top of my head): Franklin, Hanover, DePauw, Evansville, Valpo, Indiana State (lost coach and endowment to ND), Huntington, Taylor, and Anderson.  Ball State and Earlham lost their programs prior to Title IX.   

Such a shame how all the programs folded.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.