Micic at European Championships

I know Joe already tweeted updates but...

Stevan Micic started his first tournament wrestling for his father's native country of Serbia this morning at 57kg at the European Championships in Russia. He lost a tight one 6-4 in the Round of 16 to the Russian. However, the Russian advanced to the final so Stevan will be in the repechage tomorrow morning. In the repechage, he'll have a solid Frenchman who's beaten some top guys in the past, including an upset over a Georgian today. He'll wrestle a Spaniard for bronze if he wins that. The Russian beat the Frenchman 6-0 and teched the Spaniard so it would seem Stevan has a good chance to medal at this loaded event.

Edited by maligned

Micic came out and dominated El Ouarraqe of France for the first 3 minutes this morning, heading to the break up 6-0. But he could barely stand up during the break because he was so exhausted. He hung on for dear life in the second period and advanced with an 8-4 win. He looked fantastic in his first match against the Russian yesterday; but if he's always struggling like he was today after making weight on back-to-back days at 57kg/125lb, I wonder if he'll consider wrestling closer to his college weight in the future in the 61kg/134lb division. 

He'll be first on the mat for his bronze medal match when finals start at 11am eastern time. His Spanish opponent was hammered by the Russian but does own a couple of wins over the Frenchman in the past couple years, so it will be a difficult match. 

Edited by maligned

27 minutes ago, MattM said:

Micic takes 3rd with a fall in his medal match.  

Yeah, he gets the takedown to make it 10-0 for the tech and the guy just lies back flat and gives up. Ha. Very solid match by Micic...looked much more hydrated than this morning. :)

Thanks for the updates Maligned.  All I was getting was the final scores    Good to hear the added details  

Hopefully after this weigh in experience he can develop a better management plan so his body recovers a little smoother going forward.  That two day cut can not be fun, but with a little tweaking to his current plan it maybe more manageable.  I’m guessing several athletes will have to make similar tweaks if they want to put up their best showing on day two.   

Edited by MattM

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.