USA Folkstyle Nationals-University of Northern Iowa

Perseverance

Looks like Mendez has an Iowa State runner up in the semi finals. If he wins, he’ll face two time state champ from Florida who pinned Jesse last year. I believe Jesse was winning and the kid caught him somehow. 

silas is at 195 with a tech and a pin so far. Winnable match in the semis and finals. 

Yeah......Allred & Drousias won soundly.  

The Deters match was easily the best Cadet final.  They did everything possible to make him earn it!  Questionable stall call, didn’t award a borderline takedown......then he wins in UTB on a stall call!  The kid kept legs locked as Deters easily got to his feet off bottom twice. Desperation.  I was not only impressed with Deters skill set.....but his mental toughness and gas tank to grind out that W and become a National Champ was a privilege to watch. 

2 hours ago, Bruins2013 said:

Is that score/ result correct Mendez lost 15 to 2 ?????

Physical maturity was an overwhelming factor.  Jesse also attempted an ill-advised throw early in the match that he seemed to never fully recover from psychologically.  But I can guarantee you this......Knowing Hector and Jesse as I do, they are probably in the weight room today and counting down the days until Jess can get some redemption. 

19 minutes ago, Perseverance said:

Physical maturity was an overwhelming factor.  Jesse also attempted an ill-advised throw early in the match that he seemed to never fully recover from psychologically.  But I can guarantee you this......Knowing Hector and Jesse as I do, they are probably in the weight room today and counting down the days until Jess can get some redemption. 

Most likely within a month or two.

That kid is a two time Florida State champion. Undefeated one year and one loss to a Blair kid the other year. While Jesse is an 8th grader. I believe Jesse has a win over him and that kid has 2 or 3 wins over Jesse... though I could be wrong

27 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Interesting. I saw he win Florida state finals twice. That must have been for middle school??

I believe Florida allows MS to wrestle in their HS state tournament, at least in one or two of the small classes.  

5 hours ago, Bruins2013 said:

So the Florida kid is a sophomore and he is wrestling an 8th grader I'm confused are they both cadets and the same age?? 

As mentioned earlier he is an 8th grader too.

However, sophomores can wrestle in the cadet ages group.  The ages group extends two calandra years which would include older 8th graders all the way to younger sophomores.   So pretty impressive they both topped tough freshman and sophomores with a year or two of HS experience.   

Edited by MattM

4 hours ago, navy80 said:

Interesting. I saw he win Florida state finals twice. That must have been for middle school??

He won the 1a 106lb HS state title as a 7th grader. Then came back as an 8th grader and pinned his way through in 1a for his 2nd title. From what I've read on this stud, he comes from a very accomplished wrestling family. His father was a 3x champ and wrestled at Clemson prior to a neck injury. His brother was slated to be very good, but his career cut short due to a very serious car accident. In addition to getting the best of a very good Jesse Mendez, he's also beat Kysen Montgomery at folkstyle nationals schoolboy division by a 1st period fall and a decision over Fargo and Ky state champ Zeke Escalara. 

11 hours ago, 1prouddad said:

He won the 1a 106lb HS state title as a 7th grader. Then came back as an 8th grader and pinned his way through in 1a for his 2nd title. From what I've read on this stud, he comes from a very accomplished wrestling family. His father was a 3x champ and wrestled at Clemson prior to a neck injury. His brother was slated to be very good, but his career cut short due to a very serious car accident. In addition to getting the best of a very good Jesse Mendez, he's also beat Kysen Montgomery at folkstyle nationals schoolboy division by a 1st period fall and a decision over Fargo and Ky state champ Zeke Escalara. 

Kid is a stud!! He next mark hall?

Nic and Jesse have wrestled each other 5 times in the last few years.  Jesse won the first match 8-1, but has since then lost the last 4 meetings.  I was hoping Jesse was closing the distance after looking really good against him at the Grappler, but Nic had a game plan against Jesse and just put it on him.  Jesse definitely should not have tried to throw a much stronger Bouzakis, but hopefully he learned something from the beat down.  Jesse might only have to wait a week to see him again at FloNationals.  

4 hours ago, Sig40 said:

Nic and Jesse have wrestled each other 5 times in the last few years.  Jesse won the first match 8-1, but has since then lost the last 4 meetings.  I was hoping Jesse was closing the distance after looking really good against him at the Grappler, but Nic had a game plan against Jesse and just put it on him.  Jesse definitely should not have tried to throw a much stronger Bouzakis, but hopefully he learned something from the beat down.  Jesse might only have to wait a week to see him again at FloNationals.  

Best of luck to Jesse

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.