Goldman had enough time?

I think this has come up in previous years, but don't you think its time for IU to make a change?   Other Big Ten schools have made changes recently, even Michigan State finally got a new coach last year.  Purdue is noticeably better after their change.  Goldman has been there 25 years.  It doesn't seem like they are in better shape or even headed in a better direction.  Surely there would be a young coach out there ready to take on the challenge to make them competitive in the conference.  I think top half of the conference would be a big improvement.  Humphrey and McFarland had success before him.  I think the right coach could get it done.

The Lock Haven coach is someone who came to my mind.  Young guy.  Big improvement and results at a smaller school.  You would think IU would be seen as a step up for him. 

I don't agree its just on the kids or the conference.    I am not saying they should win Big 10s.  I do think they could do a lot better though and I think it has gone on too long with results I think of as under performing.  

Edited by doctorWrestling

2 hours ago, Tubbyscambler said:

It's not always the coach it possibly the kids and the conference that have put them in a bad position as far as program success. 

The coach is recruiting the kids, therefore he is responsible for developing them.  He has failed.  Either he has recruited kids that were not Big 10 caliber or he hasn't developed them.  Either way, he has failed and it is time for a change.

It blows my mind that someone who wrestled for Gable in some of the pinnacle Iowa days could be so content with mediocrity. Especially given his own successes on the mat. I've heard rumblings that he essentially self sustains the program with donations. With the successes of soccer and swimming and the focus on basketball, Fred Glass really has no incentive to get him out of there. Seems like they are out of sight out of mind. 

22 minutes ago, Disco said:

Come on here. Don't get this started! You jokers have to be kidding? All of you on here. You really follow D-1 wrestling? 

Lol. Was wondering when you'd chime in. I'm assuming you don't check this area that's why it took so long. Welcome to the high school board Disco! 

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:38 PM, UncleJimmy said:

Lol. Was wondering when you'd chime in. I'm assuming you don't check this area that's why it took so long. Welcome to the high school board Disco! 

LoL, Uncle, It doesn't take much to get my dander up about the whole program situation. But I do have a sense of humor, and you have to, when discussing the Indiana wrestling program. LoL!

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:18 PM, regionrat1 said:

Time for a change - like 15 years ago

As bad as everyone wants a new coach, my worst fear is Fred Glass hiring someone, or elevating assistants. Pray to God he reaches out, if and when the time comes. Or hopefully Indiana gets, an in touch athletics director.

On 3/29/2018 at 12:58 AM, Disco said:

As bad as everyone wants a new coach, my worst fear is Fred Glass hiring someone, or elevating assistants. Pray to God he reaches out, if and when the time comes. Or hopefully Indiana gets, an in touch athletics director.

In my opinion Escobedo would be a great fit! Home grown and got it done at IU. That is a huge recruiting tool. He is very well liked in the state and around the nation. I'm not sure why he came back under Goldman but hopefully he doesn't take another coaching position. 

1 hour ago, Cosgrove said:

IU..... GOLDMAN $$$$$

Maybe, no proof that I know yet.

16 hours ago, MicahelAspen said:

In my opinion Escobedo would be a great fit! Home grown and got it done at IU. That is a huge recruiting tool. He is very well liked in the state and around the nation. I'm not sure why he came back under Goldman but hopefully he doesn't take another coaching position. 

Indiana needs to hire a proven successful head coach to get this dismal program back to respectability. Promoting any of our assistants to take over is asking for another failure.Head coach job at this level, D1, is more administrating than coaching. A. Hiring and keeping good assistants, who do most of the coaching and training of the athletes,B. Promoting the program on campus and off, to keep fans in the seats.C. Get and keep a rapport with in state wrestling coaches, to keep as many elite in state wrestlers home, Angel while a recruiting tool for the program has no experience in any of theses head coaching areas. And him staying at a program, where the head coach Goldman, doesn't do any of these things well, is bad for Angel. He needs to be around a successful program so as to learn how things are to be done. 

Edited by Disco

7 hours ago, Disco said:

Maybe, no proof that I know yet.

Indiana needs to hire a proven successful head coach to get this dismal program back to respectability. Promoting any of our assistants to take over is asking for another failure.Head coach job at this level, D1, is more administrating than coaching. A. Hiring and keeping good assistants, who do most of the coaching and training of the athletes,B. Promoting the program on campus and off, to keep fans in the seats.C. Get and keep a rapport with in state wrestling coaches, to keep as many elite in state wrestlers home, Angel while a recruiting tool for the program has no experience in any of theses head coaching areas. And him staying at a program, where the head coach Goldman, doesn't do any of these things well, is bad for Angel. He needs to be around a successful program so as to learn how things are to be done. 

Very true points! I just don't think good/great head coaches will want to come to Indiana. Small programs are investing as much as big ten programs. Plus you are truly fighting for the middle of the big ten. To me it's a hard sell to Big time coaches because they have a better shot winning at other conferences.  It's not like Indiana has invested in wrestling so why  would you trust they would change. They don't care about wrestling. Escobed was at Ohio State during the time they turned things around. He was on staff at Iowa State. Those are two big time programs. So hopefully he learned some things good &bad. I've heard Tom Ryan say some really great things about him.

S

10 hours ago, MicahelAspen said:

I just don't think good/great head coaches will want to come to Indiana. Small programs are investing as much as big ten programs. Plus you are truly fighting for the middle of the big ten. To me it's a hard sell to Big time coaches because they have a better shot winning at other conferences….

Several VERY big time coaches came for the Wisconsin job…  It isn't hard to imagine Hahn (Cornell) or Snyder (Nebraska) considering the possibility of Indiana:  Bloomington is a great college town smack in the middle of Ohio, Illinois, and Michigan…if a new coach could start landing Indiana talent, perhaps nearby blue chippers would take notice.  Would Bono have looked at it?  I have no idea, but to think there isn't a huge upside to IU is off base... if the right person took over.  Sadly that ain't happening until some things change at the top.   

Edited by matts

Not disagreeing with you Fabio, but who needs to care and in what ways?  Are you just saying the AD needs to care enough to get a better coaching staff?  They already wrestle in the best conference and don't seem to be at any disadvantage with scholarships or travel budget.  I am unclear if the new facility is for practicing or just competitions, but to me the missing piece is a better coach.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.