Nick Lee vs Chad Red 2018- College

navy80

Who had the better season?

Lee 3rd at big tens and 5th at ncaa 

Red 7th at big tens and 7th at ncaa 

Lee has the better showing obviously. But let’s look at quality wins. 

Red beat two time national champion dean heil!! Lee beat Kevin Jack!!

big ten and NCAA common opponents

Red beat Diehl 8-3. Lee lost to Diehl by fall  

Lee beat Perry 12  Red beat Perry by fall 

Lee beat Jack on overtime  Jack beat Red in overtime

Lee beat Limmex 15-5. Limmex best Red 6-3  

Lee best Turk 8-3. Turk best Red 5-4

Lee finished 33-7  

Red finished 26-11 

Lee wins 2018 via better record, better finishes, and more wins against common opponents.

its amazing they never wrestled this year...

1 hour ago, navy80 said:

Who had the better season?

Lee 3rd at big tens and 5th at ncaa 

Red 7th at big tens and 7th at ncaa 

Lee has the better showing obviously. But let’s look at quality wins. 

Red beat two time national champion dean heil!! Lee beat Kevin Jack!!

big ten and NCAA common opponents

Red beat Diehl 8-3. Lee lost to Diehl by fall  

Lee beat Perry 12  Red beat Perry by fall 

Lee beat Jack on overtime  Jack beat Red in overtime

Lee beat Limmex 15-5. Limmex best Red 6-3  

Lee best Turk 8-3. Turk best Red 5-4

Lee finished 33-7  

Red finished 26-11 

Lee wins 2018 via better record, better finishes, and more wins against common opponents.

its amazing they never wrestled this year...

It's not even close....   A few additions/corrections to your list:

• Lee beat Limmex twice, both majors; Red lost to Limmex twice
  • Lee beat Josh Alber twice, once by fall; Red lost to Alber
  • Lee beat Cole Weaver by major; Red lost to Weaver
  • Lee beat Vince Turk; Red split two matches with Turk
  • Red beat Diehl twice; Lee split two matches with Diehl, won by major, lost by fall
  • Lee beat Jack; Red lost to Jack twice
  • Both lost to: Michael Carr of Illinois and to Brock Zacherl of Clarion

Red finished strong in the NCAA Tournament with a nice 7th place finish after entering unseeded (I thought he should have been in the teens)

Lee finished strong in the NCAA Tournament, winning finishing 5th.  

Both lost their first match in the NCAA Tournament and battled back well.  

But when evaluating the full season, it's not close.

I was hoping you would chime in! I threw something together to get the convo started. 

I do think chad red at the end of the season was much better than beginning of the season. 

I’d take Lee 8-5 but you never know! 

I got to a chance to watch them close up several times this year and I thought they really did a great job of representing Indiana and their schools. I was able to watch them after they won and lost matches and they were very even minded and showed great poise for young men. I say Indiana won a lot of respect by all of the boys from Indiana competing. They all had great a year and I look for them to do even better next year.

3 hours ago, navy80 said:

I was hoping you would chime in! I threw something together to get the convo started. 

I do think chad red at the end of the season was much better than beginning of the season. 

I’d take Lee 8-5 but you never know! 

My only other notes:

While I believe Nick had a better season, and I DO think it is more impressive doing so as a true frosh as opposed to a redshirt frosh (yes, i know what Nick did last year, but there is also still a year difference in physical maturation for Red that counts), that does not translate to me predicting a score if they wrestled.  Until the result changes, I still see their first result and have zero doubt Chad would have all the focus and motivation he would need facing Lee again, so I'd refrain from going there.  It's still a true toss up until I am proven wrong.  

And while I think comparing the resume of the entire season is not close, they both finished strong and my preference of Lee's results does not diminish the fact that Chad is a helluva wrestler and had a great year as well.  I'm sure there are some matches he'd like back, but the same with Nick.

Lastly, I said in in the NCAA Tournament thread that I thought a win over Heil might just become a catapult for Chad to higher achievements.  A win like that could boost his confidence and focus moving forward.  That was a huge win and he should be proud of it.  

Like others have said.  Both have given IN wrestling fans reason to be proud and there is only better days to come with the these two and others coming.

Edited by SWINfan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.