NCAA Nationals

32 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Very nice to see Lee and Red place 5th and 7th repsectively. 

Crazy that they never wrestled but each beat someone the other lost to!

SIAP

Here's how close it came this weekend.  
- If Lee won his first match and lost his second, he would have dropped down to face Red.
- Once they both earned all-america status, a loss by both in any round would have matched them up, or wins by both all the way to 3rd/4th, of course.  

Instead, Lee was upset his first match which kept him in the top half of the bracket and  after AA round, Red lost to Jack and Lee won.  

So we just missed a couple of ways!

1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

Day 3 - Medal Round 

3rd - Nathan Tomasello, OSU wins 8-6 SV1 over Ethan Lizak of Minnesota.  Got the TD with :10 left
5th - Darian Cruz, Lehigh with a 7-4 dec over Sebastian Rivera, Northwestern - Cruz
 shows he has some offense for the 1st time this tournament
7th - Ronnie Bresser, Oregon St. wins by MFF over Zeke Moisey, West Virginia

3rd - Tariq Wilson, NC St. 17-8 over OSU's Luke Pletcher in a fun match to watch!
5th - Kaid Brock, OK St. 10-1 over Scott DelVeccio Rutgers
7th - Scott Parker, Lehigh 5-2 over Montorie Bridges, Wyoming

3rd - Joey McKenna, OSU with a 7-2 win over Missouri's Jaydin Eierman
5th - Nick Lee wins 9-7 over Kevin Jack, NC St in sudden victory!
7th - Chad Red wins by fall at 7:00 over Sa'Derian Perry, Eastern Michigan!

3rd - Matthew Kolodzik, Princeton 3-2 dec over Troy Heilmann, UNC
5th - Brandon Sorenson, Iowa 4-0 dec over Grant Leeth, Missouri
7th - Jason Tsirtsis, Ariz St with a tight 2-1 dec over Boo Lewallen, OK St.  Wins on riding time.  Congrats JT!

3rd - Tyler Berger, Nebraska wins by injury default over Iowa's Michael Kemmerer
5th - Alec Pantaleo, Michigan wins 6-3 over Micah Jordan, OSU
7th - Josh Shields, Ariz St 11-5 win over Luke Zilverburg, South Dakota St

Edited 37 minutes ago by SWINfan

3rd - Evan Wick, Wisconsin by fall over Chance Marsteller, Lock Haven
5th - David McFadden, Va Tech by fall over Alex Marinelli, Iowa
7th - Jonathan Chavez, Cornell 10-5 dec over Chandler Rogers, OK St

3rd - Myles Amine, Michigan 4-2 SV1 over Daniel Lewis, Missouri
5th - Bo Jordan, OSU MFF over Jordan Kutler, Lehigh
7th - David Kocer, San Diego St 7-2 dec over Jacobe Smith, OK St

3rd - Emery Parker, Illinois 8-1 win over Taylor Venz, Nebraska
5th - Domenic Abounader, Michigan 8-2 dec over Zachary Zavatsky, Va Tech
7th - Chip Ness, UNC won 6-3 over Max Dean, Cornell

3rd - Kyle Conel, Kent wins 5-3 over Kollin Moore, OSU
5th - Jacob Holschlag, Northern Iowa wins by fall over Ben Darmstadt, Cornell
7th - Shakur Rasheed, Penn St major dec 11-3 over William Miklus, Missouri

3rd - Amar Dhesi, Oregon St wins by fall over Jacob Kasper, Duke
5th - Sam Stoll, Iowa won by fall over Mike Hughes, Hofstra
7th - Nick Nevills, Penn St 7-5 dec over Youssif Hermida, Maryland

Ohio State leads the team race after the consolations 130.5 - 124.5.  Wins by Nick Lee, Shakur Rasheed and Nick Nevills, combined with losses by Kollin Moore and Micah Jordan kept the Buckeyes lead from being even greater.  With 5 Nittany Lions in the finals vs. 2 for the Buckeyes, Penn St is likely the favorite to win.  But a Bo Nickal vs. Myles Martin match could have a huge say in who wins the title.  Other factors to look for are:
- Will Zain Retherford get bonus points?  A major is nearly a given.  Will he get more for a TF or Fall?  I'd say better than 50/50
- Will Jason Nolf beat the undefeated Hidlay?  My guess is that is very likely.
- How will Vincente Cenzo and Mark Hall fare against IMAR and Valencia?  Both winning again isn't likely.  If they do, then the title is pretty much a done deal.  
- Nickal vs Martin - head to head.  
- Snyder vs Coon - the final match and one not to be missed!  

1 hour ago, Alduflux said:

Has a MD wrestler ever placed higher then Lee?  Coughlin perhaps?

Coughlin places 7 or 8 I believe as a freshman and never AA’d again. I think he was 160 his senior year and they had him at 149 at IU. He struggles with weight from what I remember. 

My predictions....  
125 - Spencer Lee - really flipping a coin here.  One of the matches I am most excited to watch!
133 - Stevan Micic - Kind of a homer pick here, but he has been wrestling really, really well.
141 - Yianni Diakomihalis - He's so good physically, scrambles well and I think he's on a level mentally different than most.
149 - Zain Retherford - There will be lots of paid administered
157 - Jason Nolf - Seeding was bullshit.  Hidlay may be good, but he's not ready for this moment.
165 - Isaiah Martinez - Think it will be exciting, but IMAR is one of the all-time greats.  He'll avenge last year's fall
174 - Mark Hall - Another coin flip.  I think Hall feels like he has something to prove after losing the exhibition match before the season.  Defending champ, undefeated, yet ranked #2 all year.
184 - Bo Nickal - Nickal has won 6 of 8 matches against Martin.  I see the trend continuing.
197 - Jared Haught - Flipping again, but with a little history on my side.  Haught has won twice, 2-1 and 6-4 TB2 this year.  Decided to go with the guy who got the wins, rather than the tough to beat a guy 3x theory.
285 - Adam Coon - More flips!  Maybe Snyder is that great.  Maybe part of him being great is learning to adjust?  But he gives up so much weight and Coon is very athletic for his size.  Feel weird going against a World and Olympic Champ, but I think the weight difference is the key and it's Snyder's choice to wrestle closer to his freestyle weight.  Not sure if he could be better in folkstyle carrying more weight or not, but weight can't be an excuse for him if he doesn't win.  

Penn State wins by 10-12 points if Snyder loses.  6-8 if Snyder proves me wrong.

Edited by SWINfan

Start of 3rd 

Gross is down and release by Micic 

Micic with a flurry of takedowns but not enough  

Final 13-8 Gross over Micic

Giving up the 4 point near fall on the tilt and an injury point was the deciding factor. Great season 

Edited by 1prouddad

Yianni and Meredith at 141. 

Yianni with a 2-1 lead after 2. 

Meridith with an escape to tie it up 2-2 in the 3rd. Meridith with a quick takedown and up 4-2. Escape by Yianni   Then a take down with 2 near fall on a crack back to a cradle  and the true freshman takes the title. 

Edited by 1prouddad

Escape for Hidlay in the 3rd but not before Nolf rides him enough to get the bonus. Nolf had great head and hands defense to stay away from Hidlays underhook. 

Nolf wins 6-2

Hidlay is gonna be a force for the next few years. 

Edited by 1prouddad