NCAA Nationals

Not a good start for "Team Indiana" in Round 1.

125 - 14-Seed Luke Welch comes from behind in the 3rd to win 10-5
125 - Brock Hudkins drops a 3-2 decision to favored 7-seed Taylor Lamont

133 - 2-Seed Stevan Micic gets a major as expected 15-5 over Zachary Sherman of UNC

141 - 8-Seed Nick Lee loses by Fall to Ryan Diehl of Maryland.  Lee had taken him down twice early.  Got reversed and lost balance and taken to back.  Lee had previously beaten Diehl 22-10.
141 - Chad Red drops a 4-2 decision to 7-Seed Brock Zacherl of Clarion.  Red just couldn't get any offense going.

149 - 10-Seed Jason Tsirtsis does what JT does... wins in OT.  2-1 TB1 dec over Dane Robbins of Air Force.  

285 - Shawn Streck defeats 13-Seed William Miller of Edinboro 11-5.  

Overall, a 5-4 mark for Hoosier wrestlers in the first round.  Here are the 2nd round match ups with brief notes:

125 - Luke Welch vs. 3-Seed Spencer Lee of Iowa. Yikes, Lee is good.  Really good.
125 - Brock Hudkins vs. Ibrahim Bunduka of George Mason.  A win lands him a bout against the loser of Ronnie Bresser (Rios) and Ethan Lizak.  Would be tough to get past that spot.

133 - Stevan Micic - vs. Anthony Tutolo of Kent.  He should handle this one.  His quarterfinal match could be interesting.  He'll face either Virginia's Jack Mueller or Drexel's Austin Desanto.  

141 - Nick Lee vs. Josh Alber of Northern Iowa.  Most people thought this would be a tough battle between two ranked wrestlers in the other side of the bracket.  Lee WBF over Alber at the Southern Scuffle with a pin in the final seconds after neutralizing a throw attempt with an inside trip.  The match was 6-5 Lee at the time and close from start to finish.  This will be a tough one for Nick and one of these guys will go home way too early. A win and he could see IU's Cole Weaver in the next round. 
141 - Chard Red vs. Tommy Thorn of Minnesota.  Red beat Thorn 5-3 in SV in the first tournament of the year.  Thorn, outside of his dominating win over Joey McKenna, really hasn't had a great year.

149 - Jason Tsirtsis vs. Ryan Deakin of Northwestern.  I'll make a prediction here.  Deakin will beat Tsirtsis unless it goes to SV/OT!  First one to 3 points wins??

174 - Dylan Lydy vs. Mark Hall of Penn St.  Looks like Consolations ahead for Dylan!
174 - Brian Havey vs. Will Schany of UVA

285 - Shawn Streck vs. Jacob Kasper of Duke.  

Really disappointed in Nick Lee and Chad Red. Both lost winnable matches first round and now face very tough consolation matches. 

Dang! Will J T-shirt score some more points?!? He’s comfortable with these close matches but I’m not lol

streck looking good first round taking out a seed. 

Welch should win one or two in the wrestlbeacks after he faces Lee. 

Everyone nationally is high up on Micic. And they have every reason to...he’s a stud!

Didn’t Hudkins get to the blood round last year or close to it? This year he hasn’t gained much ground it appears. He’ll win a few matches in the wrestlebscks. 

1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

Not a good start for "Team Indiana" in Round 1.

125 - 14-Seed Luke Welch comes from behind in the 3rd to win 10-5
125 - Brock Hudkins drops a 3-2 decision to favored 7-seed Taylor Lamont

133 - 2-Seed Stevan Micic gets a major as expected 15-5 over Zachary Sherman of UNC

141 - 8-Seed Nick Lee loses by Fall to Ryan Diehl of Maryland.  Lee had taken him down twice early.  Got reversed and lost balance and taken to back.  Lee had previously beaten Diehl 22-10.
141 - Chad Red drops a 4-2 decision to 7-Seed Brock Zacherl of Clarion.  Red just couldn't get any offense going.

149 - 10-Seed Jason Tsirtsis does what JT does... wins in OT.  2-1 TB1 dec over Dane Robbins of Air Force.  

125 - Hudkins - Lamont comes in hurt, thought Brock had a chance. When healthy, Lamont is a top 5 guy. 

125 - Welch - for him that first match off the scale might be the hardest. First round wins are huge in avoiding an extra round of wrestle back. Problem is he has Lee from Iowa in next round who is a monster on top and teched him last at Big Ten's; sorry, he's in for some pain. He has a winnable match in the wrestlebacks, but then he gets the loser of Russell of Edinboro and Piccininni of Oklahoma State. He lost to Russell earlier in the year like 8-5 at Midlands, but I think it is a good match-up for him.  If he wins that, he then gets loser of the  Cruz, Bresser, Lizak quarter to AA. Lizak could tech him on top, but he I don't know if he gets Lizak of the scale in that round, which would be a huge advantage since Lizak is cutting a ton. He matches up well with Bresser, and has unfamiliarity with Cruz.  

141 - Red - College is a bit different than high school, when a 4x state Champ takes his lumps. Now wrestling guys who are more physically mature, even the average guys. He had a good stuffing top game in high school, which I thought would translate well into college, may take some time. He could get away with rednecking young Indiana guys, but not college kids. 

141 - Lee - Ryan Diehl caught him with a cow catcher. I predicted at Big Tens that Diehl would catch Red and he almost did.  Diehl is a funk, high risk guy who will roll and funk throw you. This is how he caught Thorn a few weeks back who was an AA years ago. You don't want to scramble on the mat or in a front headlock with the guy. He is setting you up.

2nd Round Results for Hoosiers in Cleveland

Championship Round 
125 - Luke Welch loses by TF to Spencer Lee, 18-0.  Will face Kyle Norstrem of Va Tech in the morning.  A win likely gets him 11-Seed Sean Russell of Edinboro.  Russell beat Welch 8-5 at The Midlands.
133 - Stevan Micic Major Dec 12-3 over Anthony Tutolo of Kent.  He faces Austin DeSanto of Drexel in the Quarterfinals. DeSanto is responsible for one of Micic's 2 losses on the season, a 22-10 defeat at the Cliff Keen in Vegas early in the year.  Micic avenged his only other loss (twice) to Luke Pletcher, which also happened at the Cliff Keen.  Should be one to watch.
149 - Jason Tsirtsis does what he does.  Squeaks out a 4-3 win over Ryan Deakin of Northwestern.  Tsirtsis has a doable path to the finals, with 15-Seed Ronald Perry up next.  3-Seed Grant Leeth of Missouri or 11-Seed Michael Kolodzik in the Semis if he can get by Perry.  Doing so would land him in the finals and mark a great comeback story, but also be the end of the Tsirtsis magic facing Zain Retherford in the final.
174 - Dylan Lydy fell by TF to Penn St.'s Mark Hall 21-3.  It started out badly and never turned around.  He gets Duke's Matt Finesilver next.  For those not watching on ESPN, the Finesilver family makes up 80% of Duke's Finals contingent.  Four Finesilver brothers - two sets of twins - qualified for Nationals, all wrestling for Duke.  
285 - Shawn Streck lost a heartbreaker to 4-Seed Jacob Kasper of Duke, 4-2 SV1.  He'll drop to the consolations and face Stephen Suglio of Kent.

Consolation Round
125 - Brock Hudkins wins by Fall over Ibrahim Bunduka of George Mason.  He'll face Ethan Lizak in the morning.  I think if he can keep Lizak from owning the top and stay away from his tilts, he has a shot.  Lizak hasn't been as good as he was last year when he finished 2nd, but this would be a really nice win for Brock.
141 - Nick Lee guts out a nice 7-3 win over Northern Iowa's 9-Seed Josh Alber.  I actually like Nick's potential patch to AA status.  He faces 10-Seed Mason Smith of Central Mich in the morning.  If he advances he'll get the winner of Cole Weaver and Eli Stickley.  Lee handled Weaver earlier in the year.  Weaver and Stickley have split matches this season.  Get past those two matches and he'll have the loser of Tyler Smith and Joey McKenna in the All-American round.  He's gotta win them, but it looks doable.
141 - Chad Red beat Minnesota's Tommy Thorn 8-3 and faces Ryan Diehl of Maryland, who defeated Lee this morning.  Red has 3 wins over Diehl this season, including one at the B1G Tournament.  A win and he faces the winner of Vince Turk/Nate Limmex.  Chad has lost to both this year, Limmex twice.  But all were 1 or 2 point matches and are certainly winnable for Chad.  The blood round for Chad would be a big hill to climb, facing the loser of Dean Heil or Yianni Diakimaholis.
174 - Brian Harvey won two matches this evening, starting with a pigtail win over Will Schany of UVA, 7-5.  He follows that up with a 6-4 win over Hunter Bolen of Va Tech.  He'll face 9-Seed Keaton Subjeck of Stanford in the morning. 

So in summary, none of the Hoosier 9 have been eliminated, but only 2 - Stevan Micic and Jason Tsirtsis - are still in the hunt for the title.  Wrestling Friday begins at 10 am central time.  All matches can be seen free on espn3 and TV coverage is on ESPNU. 

1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

Consolation Round
125 - Brock Hudkins wins by Fall over Ibrahim Bunduka of George Mason.  He'll face Ethan Lizak in the morning.  I think if he can keep Lizak from owning the top and stay away from his tilts, he has a shot.  Lizak hasn't been as good as he was last year when he finished 2nd, but this would be a really nice win for Brock.
141 - Nick Lee guts out a nice 7-3 win over Northern Iowa's 9-Seed Josh Alber.  I actually like Nick's potential patch to AA status.  He faces 10-Seed Mason Smith of Central Mich in the morning.  If he advances he'll get the winner of Cole Weaver and Eli Stickley.  Lee handled Weaver earlier in the year.  Weaver and Stickley have split matches this season.  Get past those two matches and he'll have the loser of Tyler Smith and Joey McKenna in the All-American round.  He's gotta win them, but it looks doable.
141 - Chad Red beat Minnesota's Tommy Thorn 8-3 and faces Ryan Diehl of Maryland, who defeated Lee this morning.  Red has 3 wins over Diehl this season, including one at the B1G Tournament.  A win and he faces the winner of Vince Turk/Nate Limmex.  Chad has lost to both this year, Limmex twice.  But all were 1 or 2 point matches and are certainly winnable for Chad.  The blood round for Chad would be a big hill to climb, facing the loser of Dean Heil or Yianni Diakimaholis.
174 - Brian Harvey won two matches this evening, starting with a pigtail win over Will Schany of UVA, 7-5.  He follows that up with a 6-4 win over Hunter Bolen of Va Tech.  He'll face 9-Seed Keaton Subjeck of Stanford in the morning. 

So in summary, none of the Hoosier 9 have been eliminated, but only 2 - Stevan Micic and Jason Tsirtsis - are still in the hunt for the title.  Wrestling Friday begins at 10 am central time.  All matches can be seen free on espn3 and TV coverage is on ESPNU. 

I've been following along on track, but I always miss some Indiana guys.  Thanks for your coverage.  I know there aren't a lot of responses on here, but I'm reading them, so I appreciate it!!!

I like Lydy's path to potential All American. He has Finesilver from Duke this morning, and if he gets by him he'd most likely have Ethan Ramos who he already beat earlier this year and then potential Myles Amine in the blood round, who he also beat this year. 

Micic dominates DeSanto 13-1. If I hadn’t known anything about this season and you told me Micic had lost to him(22-10?) earlier this year it would be hard to believe you.

Side note, glad Micic’s arm isn’t broken. DeSanto was being a punk-ass sore loser and clearly trying to hurt him in the waning seconds of the match.

27 minutes ago, RASSLER4LIFE said:

Agree with DeSanto being a punk at the end of the match! Totally uncalled for.

If I’m an official, I disqualify him from the rest of the tourney. There’s no place for intentionally trying to injure somebody like that. 

Day 3

125 - Luke Welch picks up a win by fall and faces Sean Russell of Edinboro next.
125 - Brock Hudkins couldn't avoid ethan Lizak's tilts and falls 7-2.  Hudkins eliminated.

133 - Stevan Micic dominated Austin DeSanto 13-1 in a match that got chippy at the end.  Micic leaves the mat smiling.  How DeSanto won their first meeting 22-10, I have no idea.  Micic struck first and never let up.  He's looking REALLY good!

141 - Nick Lee with a workmanlike 5-0 win over Mason Smith.  I saw less aggressiveness from Nick, just enough to make sure he controlled the match.  He has Cole Weaver of IU next.
141 - Chad Red wins 8-3 over Ryan Diehl of Maryland.  He'll face Vince Turk of Iowa.  Turk beat Red at the B1G Tourney

149 - Jason Tsirtsis falls to Ronald Perry of Lock Haven, 7-4.  He drops to the blood round in the consolations.  

1 hour ago, Caleb Spires said:

If I’m an official, I disqualify him from the rest of the tourney. There’s no place for intentionally trying to injure somebody like that. 

Kid has some issues for sure