2 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

Streck?

Not yet..needs 7th for the automatic bid. He'll most likely get in either way eventually, but all drama is removed if he gets the final quota spot today in that match.

Welch, Micic, Lee, Red, Lydy plus Tsirtsis at ASU are the Indiana high schoolers into NCAAs as automatic bids so far. 

Still in the hunt for automatic bids today:

Hudkins at 125 for Northern Illinois: needs top 2 to qualify at MACs and came in as the #3 seed and upset #2 Akins of Buffalo in the semi's. He's got a winnable match against #1 McGee in the final. If he loses, he may have to wrestle a true 2nd match. But he's already got the win over Akins in the bag, so he'll either automatically get the spot if Akins takes 3rd or face a lower seed in that true 2nd match.

Hildebrandt at 125 for Central Michigan: same weight as Hudkins; also needs top 2. He's a long shot in the wrestlebacks as the #4. Needs a win over #6 plus probably over #2 Akins in the 3/4 match before a potential true 2nd match only if Hudkins loses the final (the two Indiana boys would face off). 

Harvey at 174 for Army: in the semi's at EIWAs as the #3 seed facing the #2. Needs to finish top 5.

Streck at HVY for Purdue: needs to win his 7/8th match.

Edited by maligned

Harvey just lost his semi. As the #3, he now needs to beat the #5 in the conso semi's. If not, he'll need to beat the loser of #6 vs. #4 in the 5th place match. Winning either match will secure his bid.

Edited by maligned

Hildebrandt wins his conso semi and the #2 Akins gets taken out. The MAC scenario for Hudkins & Hildebrandt is now this:

Top 2 qualify and a True 2nd is wrestled if necessary.

#3 Hudkins faces #1 M. McGee for the title. If he wins, he's in and Hildebrandt is eliminated because Hildebrandt already lost to M. McGee. If Hudkins loses, he will definitely wrestle a True 2nd match against either possible 3rd place finisher.

#4 Hildebrandt faces multiple-time NCAA qualifier #5 B. McGhee for 3rd. (He beat him during the season and yesterday in very dramatic finishes both times.) As can be inferred from above, he must win this match, hope Hudkins loses the final, and then beat Hudkins to get the automatic bid.

Edited by maligned

Hildebrandt wins 4-0 and Hudkins falls 3-1 in overtime when he gets reversed during his period on top. That sets up an all-Indiana, winner-take-all true second place match for a spot in the NCAAs.

4 hours ago, Disco said:

Now the pressure is on Oliver of Indiana, he gets Foley of Michigan State again ,in the wrestle backs. This will be “for the cellar” match. Michigan State or Indiana will be on the bottom again. This has been a yearly event for the last several years. This keeps all of the state wrestling fans in Indiana, on the edge of their seats! Last!, or next to last!  Wow, it doesn’t get any better than this! Skatzka May be the deciding points in this yearly drama.  

Technically, 125 had to wrestle to 10th place because of NCAA qualifiers, so they weren't wrestling for last.  Just a technicality....  ha ha

Oliver tied 6-6, tried a cement mixer (?), missed and got taken down with about :10 left and lost 8-6

For Purdue fans, Ben Thornton drops an 11-3 major to Penn St.'s Corey Keener to finish 8th.  I believe the B1G only qualified 7 at this weight to Thornton will have to hope for an at-large.  Maligned, please correct me if I am wrong on the # of qualifiers at 133.  

Sliga wrestling for 9th at 184 now.  Not sure how many allocations the B1G has at that weight, so he has either already qualified for Cleveland or is wrestling for a spot now

Sliga falls to 10th, in placement and in the match.

Note: I checked and the B1G only gets 8 allocations from 184 so I guess wrestling to 9th was for an alternate?  Same at 141 & 157

Edited by SWINfan

Stevan Micic wins a Big Ten Title at 133, with a 7-4 dec over Luke Pletcher.    

Chad finished 7th earlier, not sure that was mentioned.  - I've seen Red in several matches this year and don't see the explosiveness I used to see from him.  Don't see him being a hammer on top or even the scrambling ability.  I know the competition is different and I don't want to call him ordinary because he is still a ranked wrestler with a shot at being an All-American, but I used to watch him and see extraordinary.  

Nick Lee with a 3rd place Big Ten finish with a 15-5 clinic against Purdue's Nate Limmex.  All 5 Limmex points were Lee letting him up so he could take him down again.  7 take downs + a riding time point.

46 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Carr getting smoked by McKenna. Sure wish lee would have made it to the finals!

anyway penn state can win the team race? Or is OSU too far ahead?

Not mathematically dead, but PSU is pretty much out of it, but locked into 2nd.

May be mathematically out of it after the Joseph loss.....

Edited by SWINfan

3 hours ago, maligned said:

We end up with 9 Indiana high schoolers as automatic bids:

Welch, Hudkins, Micic, Lee, Red, Tsirtsis, Harvey, Lydy, and Streck

Who are the Indiana kids who have a chance at the still making it?

hilderbrant?

9 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Who are the Indiana kids who have a chance at the still making it?

hilderbrant?

I haven't looked at it closely, but it almost always goes to guys who were in or near both the RPI and the Coaches' panel rankings before the conference tournaments. Hildebrandt doesn't fit that. Sliga could be more of a possibility, but I haven't looked closely at it. Zack Davis also could have been a decent candidate but he had an awful 0-2 tournament. Not sure we'll get anyone more than the 9 we have.

Edited by maligned