Transgender wrestler in OH accuses coach of outing him to team

Westforkwhite

http://m.fox19.com/story/37607075/transgender-teen-outed-by-wrestling-coach-mom-says

It doesn't sound like the coach really outed him as his transition has occurred in the last 3 years. I doubt kids will forget that soon. That said it still doesn't sound like the situation was handled well.

Thoughts?

It’s amazing that a person so young can decide that they’re the wrong gender and go through an operation so life changing. Brains fully develop at 25 years old?

im not saying it doesn’t happen just it’s hard to trust a young kid- 13-14 years old. 

I’ll side with the coach. The wrestler did not have a full change to a male yet. That would cause problems in the shower. 

If the operation was 100% then the wrestler wouldn’t have any issues. 

Talk on the Yappi board suggests that the coach may have been told by others after the season started. The coach then presented to Admins. Again this is just message board chatter so take it for what it's worth, but it sounds like the coach is pretty well respected. Timing is a bit suspect as the team is preparing to host districts this weekend, so there may have been planning for maximum effect.

Seems like a non story. Not much different than a girl who claims to be a girl on the team in a wrestling on the mat sense. The locker room and outing puts it in a gray area. Now the transgender from Texas is different and a real problem imo when it comes to competitive equality.

32 minutes ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

Seems like a non story. Not much different than a girl who claims to be a girl on the team in a wrestling on the mat sense. The locker room and outing puts it in a gray area. Now the transgender from Texas is different and a real problem imo when it comes to competitive equality.

The Texas issue is that the association won't let him wrestle against boys.

The Ohio situation, I look at it as a coach when you tell everyone they need to shower after practice. You can't say, everyone needs to shower, except Billy over here, he's special. The other issue that will arise is weigh-ins. 

Both are things I hope I don't have to deal with as a coach as there are so many "fun" things to deal with.

12 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

The Texas issue is that the association won't let him wrestle against boys.

The Ohio situation, I look at it as a coach when you tell everyone they need to shower after practice. You can't say, everyone needs to shower, except Billy over here, he's special. The other issue that will arise is weigh-ins. 

Both are things I hope I don't have to deal with as a coach as there are so many "fun" things to deal with.

It certainly isn't an easy position to be in as a coach, parent, admin, and especially the athlete. I wouldnt want to be that coach, but if i were i would try to do my best not to single the kid out. That said i wonder what kind of legal exposure might that create from parents of the other kids on the team?

I envision the kid's parents saying something like "He is special so I don't want him treated like everyone else, but at the same time, he shouldn't be singled out so treat him like everyone else."

This is one of these new-age coaching nightmares.  In hindsight, the best solution would have been for the coach to have a private meeting with the kid and parents to discuss every potential situation and the best way to handle them.

I'm just confused how he was "outed" when a couple years ago "he" was a "she"?  Sounds like a civil liberties group or just MSM used that wording to escalate the story.

12 hours ago, GrecoCoach said:

I envision the kid's parents saying something like "He is special so I don't want him treated like everyone else, but at the same time, he shouldn't be singled out so treat him like everyone else."

This is one of these new-age coaching nightmares.  In hindsight, the best solution would have been for the coach to have a private meeting with the kid and parents to discuss every potential situation and the best way to handle them.

I'm just confused how he was "outed" when a couple years ago "he" was a "she"?  Sounds like a civil liberties group or just MSM used that wording to escalate the story.

I think you are right. It sounds like an attempt to squeeze a settlement out of the school corp. I still feel bad for the kid, because clearly he isnt driving the bus on this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.