is mason parris going to college for both wrestling and football

wildcats2020

7 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Can't play football unless he goes on a football scholarship.  NCAA doesn't allow a wrestler to play football unless the scholarship is coming from football.  And to my knowledge that is not in the cards, at least initially.  

I thought Robinson a few years ago had a wrestling scholarship but played football for Purdue? I could be wrong. Didn’t know that was what had to happen

8 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Can't play football unless he goes on a football scholarship.  NCAA doesn't allow a wrestler to play football unless the scholarship is coming from football.  And to my knowledge that is not in the cards, at least initially.  

Ive never heard of a rule like that.   He can walk on football if the wrestling coach allows it.  The problem is the wrestling coach doesn't want one of his best wrestlers tied up with football until the first week in January,  nor does he want him potentially getting hurt.

3 hours ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

Reported on so many levels:P. Love for Mason to become a gridiron Wolverine demolishing unworthy Bucknuts in The Game.

Maybe Mason is sticking to just wrestling because he doesn’t want to be on a team that can only beat their rivals once in a 14-year span :)

4 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Ive never heard of a rule like that.   He can walk on football if the wrestling coach allows it.  The problem is the wrestling coach doesn't want one of his best wrestlers tied up with football until the first week in January,  nor does he want him potentially getting hurt.

I've actually heard the same thing and 1 year at IU we had a couple guys walk on the football team and were told similar things.  It has to do with an older program using scholarship incorrectly and recruiting a ton of Heavyweight wrestlers, that by chance also played football.  So my understanding is that a scholarship wrestler can walk on to a team but if the scholarship wrestler steps on the field in a varsity game the scholarship has to be changed from wrestling to football.  I tried finding some sources but it was hard to comb through the scholarship websites.

2 hours ago, bsisson said:

I've actually heard the same thing and 1 year at IU we had a couple guys walk on the football team and were told similar things.  It has to do with an older program using scholarship incorrectly and recruiting a ton of Heavyweight wrestlers, that by chance also played football.  So my understanding is that a scholarship wrestler can walk on to a team but if the scholarship wrestler steps on the field in a varsity game the scholarship has to be changed from wrestling to football.  I tried finding some sources but it was hard to comb through the scholarship websites.

I found this - https://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tam/genrel/auto_pdf/comp101-4-multi-sport-sas.pdf

Once, it was very common for student-athletes to participate in more than one varsity sport for his or her college. These multi-sport student-athletes are less common now partly because of today’s ever-increasing sport specialization.

In NCAA Division I sports, a student-athlete’s grant-in-aid/scholarship may count in only one sport, no matter how many sports he or she participates in. Therefore, the question is which sport does a student-athlete count and how is that determination made.

Several years ago, the members of the NCAA confronted a disturbing practice in which some institutions would recruit a prospect that would be a student-athlete receiving an athletic grant-in-aid in, say, wrestling—even though he never practiced with or competed on the wrestling team—and yet the student-athlete competed as a walk-on in another sport that the institution was very good at, such as track or football. In effect, institutions that engaged in this practice were attempting to circumvent NCAA sport financial aid limits with specious multi-sport student-athletes.

Not surprisingly, the practice occurred most often in football, basketball and a few other higher-profile sports. Therefore, the Association established the following simple rules (please note that I have limited my discussion to rules for sports that Texas A&M sponsors):

In football, a counter who was recruited and/or offered financial aid to participate in football and who participates (practices or competes) in football and one or more sports (including basketball) shall be counted in the sport of football. A counter who was not recruited and/or offered financial aid to participate in football and who competes in football and one or more sports (including basketball) shall be counted in the sport of football;

Football is a unique and popular sport; therefore, the Association recognized that it had to balance the need to prevent members from circumventing financial aid rules with the high demand for participation in the sport. Several years ago, the members of the NCAA adopted the ability for athletes in one sport who were not recruited or offered financial aid by football to actually participate in practice sessions without having to count against football’s limit of 85 counters. However, if the walk-on proves to be a quality football player and earns the privilege of playing in an actual contest, he or she would then become a counter against the football limits.

I looked in the NCAA Guidelines - http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D118.pdf and found these

15.5.9.1 Football. [FBS/FCS] In football, a counter who was recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) and/or offered 
financial aid to participate in football and who participates (practices or competes) in football and one or more sports (including basketball) shall be counted in football. A counter who was not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) and/or offered financial aid to participate in football and who competes in football and one or more sports (including basketball) shall be counted in football. (Revised: 1/10/95 effective 8/1/95, 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, 1/15/11  effective 8/1/11)

15.5.9.1.1 Initial Counter. [FBS/FCS] A counter who previously has not been counted in football shall be considered an initial counter even though the student-athlete already has received countable financial aid in another sport.

Edited by patriotfan

7 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

The rule is to prevent coaches from loading up extra players by offering scholarships to non-revenue sports.  Rumor has it Coach Bryant regularly had football players on golf scholarships.  

On 2/21/2018 at 5:33 PM, jason said:

U of m football sucks..so he must not be that good at football..go bucks

I'm not commenting on Michigan's program quality in football.  I'm only saying that, at worst, Mason is a star at Ball State, at best a lower-tier Big 10 (think IU) player.

26 minutes ago, Brian said:

I'm not commenting on Michigan's program quality in football.  I'm only saying that, at worst, Mason is a star at Ball State, at best a lower-tier Big 10 (think IU) player.

You are describing the same level, BSU has beaten IU in football so many times IU wont schedule them now. IU isnt even on par with the upper tier MAC teams. Just like their wrestling program.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.