Strategy Question - Hunt vs Slivka

Kookie953

One thing I've not seen discussed on here, but I thought was a bit of a head-scratcher...I'm assuming because of my relative ignorance of the sport.  Going into the 3rd period, Slivka was up 1-0 and Hunt had choice and chose neutral.  This question is not a shot on the Yorktown coaches or Hunt, as both the program and wrestler are terrific...but why do that?  I would think the thought process would be to choose down to get your own escape and then at worse-case you go to OT?

What are some of the possibilities on why you don't choose that?  Knowledge that Slivka was that much better on top?  Us Brownsburg faithful had taken our shoes off and put all our fingers and toes together to realize that if Hunt won...with BLee and Walton coming up we actually had a chance to pull the win out of thin air.   So we had a LOT of interest in that match, especially after Rumph got it done, and were a little perplexed.  

Again, can't emphasize this enough, this isn't a shot at anyone...much respect to Yorktown and Hunt.  Knew if they made that decision there had to be some reasoning...and it may just be that Hunt is more comfortable on his feet and felt he could get a TD.  Just trying to learn some strategery.  

Edited by Kookie953

Slika is very tough on top as evident in his 1-0 win over McIntosh in the quarter-finals.

Not knowing the situation or strategy, Hunt was going to need a takedown to win no matter what most likely. If he goes on bottom, it will take a lot of effort and energy to get out. Maybe it takes 20 seconds, maybe it takes 1:59, maybe he doesn't get out. Even if he gets an escape he will still need a takedown to win and would have limited time in regulation to do that.

With that said giving himself two minutes to get a takedown or maybe a couple stalling calls to tie it up is probably more likely than getting that escape and then only having a minute to get a takedown in the first overtime.

3 minutes ago, grappleapple said:

If I interpreted what I saw correctly, it looked like Yorktown's assistant coach told Hunt that it was his decision. He chose neutral right away. I like the call. He was going for the win, not the field goal for the tie. It didn't pan out - but he put it all on the line.

That’s one thing I was thinking...and if so I like it too.  It’s the *ing State Championship so best to leave it all out there.  

I was watching it live and haven’t had a chance to watch the TV broadcast of that match yet, so hard to catch everything.

Thanks for responses.

2 hours ago, Kookie953 said:

One thing I've not seen discussed on here, but I thought was a bit of a head-scratcher...I'm assuming because of my relative ignorance of the sport.  Going into the 3rd period, Slivka was up 1-0 and Hunt had choice and chose neutral.  This question is not a shot on the Yorktown coaches or Hunt, as both the program and wrestler are terrific...but why do that?  I would think the thought process would be to choose down to get your own escape and then at worse-case you go to OT?

What are some of the possibilities on why you don't choose that?  Knowledge that Slivka was that much better on top?  Us Brownsburg faithful had taken our shoes off and put all our fingers and toes together to realize that if Hunt won...with BLee and Walton coming up we actually had a chance to pull the win out of thin air.   So we had a LOT of interest in that match, especially after Rumph got it done, and were a little perplexed.  

Again, can't emphasize this enough, this isn't a shot at anyone...much respect to Yorktown and Hunt.  Knew if they made that decision there had to be some reasoning...and it may just be that Hunt is more comfortable on his feet and felt he could get a TD.  Just trying to learn some strategery.  

Sliv is a hammer on Top. That’s why 

Am I wrong in thinking that Sellmer from Floyd Central made a similar decision in the semifinals?? If I remember correctly his score was TIED going into the 3rd and he (Sellmer) still refused to take the bottom position. I remember thinking to myself “wow- this kid he is wrestling must be a hammer on top” ....sounds like he was/is. 

43 minutes ago, jets said:

Am I wrong in thinking that Sellmer from Floyd Central made a similar decision in the semifinals?? If I remember correctly his score was TIED going into the 3rd and he (Sellmer) still refused to take the bottom position. I remember thinking to myself “wow- this kid he is wrestling must be a hammer on top” ....sounds like he was/is. 

I think you’re right.  Obviously remembered the Hunt / Slivka match bc the stakes were a little higher, but I do have a memory of what you describe.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.