The next Kris Rumph???

ontherise219

Kris Rumph looked amazing all weekend even more impressive was in his interview he said he only started during his freshman year(also saying to keep working hard. Great speech) his career went 4 losing to red in the semis, 2nd losing to black and champ. My question is there another Kris Rumph out there? A kid who hasn’t been wrestling very long who can be a champ? 

2 hours ago, ontherise219 said:

Kris Rumph looked amazing all weekend even more impressive was in his interview he said he only started during his freshman year(also saying to keep working hard. Great speech) his career went 4 losing to red in the semis, 2nd losing to black and champ. My question is there another Kris Rumph out there? A kid who hasn’t been wrestling very long who can be a champ? 

Perfect storm of a very hungry, hardworking kid; amazing coaches; and top-end athleticism. In my opinion, it will be very, very rare to see the same thing very often. No one goes from not wrestling to wrestling year-round in a cauldron like Portage. I think only a few would have the athleticism to advance so quickly on a technical level. And only a couple of those would have the work ethic. And very, very rarely would one of those hard-working athletes happen to be in a program like Portage. Phenomenal feat.

One I did think of...Kevin Winegardner of Lafayette Jeff was an undefeated champ at 119 in 1994. He's the only other non-heavy I can remember hearing about that started 8th grade or later and won state. He was another example of top-end athleticism and work ethic.

Who are others that only wrestled a few years and won state?

57 minutes ago, hogleg said:

I may be way off, but I thought whiteland had a heavyweight that won and got a late start in the sport

3 hours ago, maligned said:

He's the only other non-heavy I can remember hearing about that started 8th grade or later and won state.

You'll notice I qualified my description with "non-heavy" because that weight is an unusual one where mastery of a couple situations can shoot you up the ladder in a hurry if you're big, strong, and balanced. We had a heavyweight who wasn't even a good athlete that lost in the ticket round of semi-state in his second year in the sport.

3 hours ago, maligned said:

One I did think of...Kevin Winegardner of Lafayette Jeff was an undefeated champ at 119 in 1994. He's the only other non-heavy I can remember hearing about that started 8th grade or later and won state. He was another example of top-end athleticism and work ethic.

Yeah I remember him well. Speaking of which if anyone has a good of tape of the semi finals of 119 in 94 I would love to get it. My personal tape (yes we had our own personal VHS tapes back then) ran out 1 minute in and I have never watched it.

4 hours ago, maligned said:

Perfect storm of a very hungry, hardworking kid; amazing coaches; and top-end athleticism. In my opinion, it will be very, very rare to see the same thing very often. No one goes from not wrestling to wrestling year-round in a cauldron like Portage. I think only a few would have the athleticism to advance so quickly on a technical level. And only a couple of those would have the work ethic. And very, very rarely would one of those hard-working athletes happen to be in a program like Portage. Phenomenal feat.

I agree not only state level success but national success also. Hopefully he lands in a situation where he can keep advancing his skills. 

some old schools  bit goodies

Antoine Skinner placed 4th and didn't start till 9th grade..

Terrell Coatie of perry/new castle placed 7th but @semi pinned 2xer Danny Williams and didn't start till highschool.. then he beat that years runner up Matt Conkling of EMD.. and for you trivia nuts was the only 3 points New Castle scoredi n the biggest blow out in team state history 66-3 in 01" emd over nc.. Danny Williams was an animal that waa coming off ankle injury too and ended up winning state anyways after losing at Ss and injury defaulting to 4th after that iirc

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

5 hours ago, maligned said:

Deron Phillips 119lb state champ in 1988 was undefeated.  He only finished one complete season of wrestling in High School.  Side note he was an all conference nose guard in the NiC at 130 lbs.  Pinned his opponent in the finals.

I think mike is talking about a kid with rumphs kind of career. Started wrestling in 9th on JV with a few varsity matches, placing as a sophomore, at a weight which included red Lee and black,  runner up as a junior losing to black, and winning it all his senior year. I can’t think of anyone who had that kind of success right out of the gates. And I don’t know if we will see a kid like that at a lower weight to do so. 

Edited by RaiderColfax

When I was in high school back in 2004 we had a first year 103 freshman win regionals and made it to a ticket round. He transferred to I believe Greenwood where he quit half way through his sophomore year and never wrestled again. But he only lost 1 match at 103 and about 6 at 112 as a first year wrestler.

1 hour ago, bbulldog152 said:

When I was in high school back in 2004 we had a first year 103 freshman win regionals and made it to a ticket round. He transferred to I believe Greenwood where he quit half way through his sophomore year and never wrestled again. But he only lost 1 match at 103 and about 6 at 112 as a first year wrestler.

Ahhh good ol 2004.. the year I graduated lol

1 minute ago, Galagore said:

Wasn't this thread about the next Kris Rumph? These seem to be past examples...who's up and coming who could pull off a feat like this?

No one knows cause they probably aren't wrestling yet. LOL

In all seriousness, its very hard to predict the same level of success as Rumph but to look at kids who can maybe qualify or place at state with not much wrestling experience other than HS might be possible.  I know its not a "next" guy but I thought I heard Guerrier from Ev Cent didnt start till HS and ended up 4th this year.

11 hours ago, maligned said:

Wingardner wrestled Jr high.

Not trying to put any pressure on my kid but he doesn’t even know this messageboard exist. 

Keandre Watson Columbus North started wrestling last year as a freshman, he is a 2x semi state qualifier. Lost to 8th place finisher Brycen Denny 5-2 this year... lost by decision to Rooks in the sectional and regional finals.  

Keandre finished 7th at freshman and sophomore state last year and 7th at freestyle state last year as a first year cadet. Teched 2x state qualifier Tanner Schoeff at freestyle state.

maybe not on the same level as Rumph but definitely a kid who could be a 2x placer depending on the weight class.

3 hours ago, Coach Coop said:

Not trying to put any pressure on my kid but he doesn’t even know this messageboard exist. 

Keandre Watson Columbus North started wrestling last year as a freshman, he is a 2x semi state qualifier. Lost to 8th place finisher Brycen Denny 5-2 this year... lost by decision to Rooks in the sectional and regional finals.  

Keandre finished 7th at freshman and sophomore state last year and 7th at freestyle state last year as a first year cadet. Teched 2x state qualifier Tanner Schoeff at freestyle state.

maybe not on the same level as Rumph but definitely a kid who could be a 2x placer depending on the weight class.

I got to see him at the east Central meet this year talented wrestler. Couldn't tell he was a second year wrestler.

14 hours ago, aoberlin said:

Yeah I remember him well. Speaking of which if anyone has a good of tape of the semi finals of 119 in 94 I would love to get it. My personal tape (yes we had our own personal VHS tapes back then) ran out 1 minute in and I have never watched it.

He also knocked me out for my final match in 1993 at Market Square. I didn't start until 7th grade, and seeing what he & others have done in much shorter periods is amazing.  Deondre Wilson was thee first that came to mind for me. Proof that with hard work, great coaching, and practice partners great things can be achieved.  I'd be interested in how often this happens with smaller less competetive schools.

8 hours ago, HornetsFan22 said:

Angola's Austin Bauer started as a sophomore and ended up placing 4th at 152 as a senior in 2014, including a 4 over 1 upset Friday night. Certainly fits the phenomenal athlete description, making all state-teams in both football and rugby that year as well.

Rugby?!  I gotta hear more about that.  How many teams play rugby?

2 hours ago, backtothemat said:

Rugby?!  I gotta hear more about that.  How many teams play rugby?

Well it is catching on at a lot of big schools in the state as a club sport.  Around 20-25 teams maybe.  I’d say it’s on the same plain as club men’s volleyball teams in the state.  

Edited by MattM

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.