Wow - Fattore pinned himself!

SWINfan

2 hours ago, WingT said:

Opposite of scorers table view before roll through.  Peru coaches asking for back points.

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 5.02.09 AM.png

Peru coach should look at making some big money as a salesman,   because he would be good at it.  A picture says a thousand words.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

36 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Peru coach should look at making some big money as a salesman,   because he would be good at it.  A picture says a thousand words.

I disagree here - when Fattore started the tilt/spladle it did appear (as you can see in the photo) that Rader was able to post his arms and basically put Fattore in danger rather than himself.  I could see why the Peru coaches would want the ref to look for back points and possible loss of control.

However, when Fattore rolled back through to his left shoulder he did put Rader back in danger/nearfall position.  The ref for whatever reason decided to call the fall immediately when Fattore rolled back through.

I am not questioning the refereeing abilities.

YOU CAN STILL BE A GOOD OFFICIAL AND MAKE A BAD CALL

That is what happened here, in my opinion. Won't change anything. Doesn't mean that every other official has to stick up for the guy. It's happened before and it will happen again. It's unfortunate but Fattore handled it incredibly well and that speaks volumes to the young man's character. He's accepted to University of Chicago probably a top 10 US college. Congratulations to him on a fantastic season and I am happy that the other competitor (Peru's Rader) seemed to realize the situation and talk with Fattore about it - that was also a class act.

If I remember correctly there was a point in the state championship match years ago between Jason Tsirtsis and Connor Mullins where it looked like Tsirtsis shoulders were flat for much longer than Fattore's - in a defensive pin situation. I am getting old though and my memory may be off. Anyone remember this?

1 hour ago, base said:

YOU CAN STILL BE A GOOD OFFICIAL AND MAKE A BAD CALL

This is probably the best post in this entire thread. This was a bad call, but everything else I saw from this official tells me his is a good official. I don't know if this particular official does any college officiating, but that was a college call - a fall is awarded the instant both shoulders &/or scapulas are on the mat simultaneously.

Not sure where the opposite angle photo came from, but it clearly shows that Fattore's left shoulder/scapula is not on the mat. After watching/rewinding/pausing the video several times you can see that at the moment the official is in the position shown in the opposite angle photo the clock reads 1:25 of the 3rd period. It then reads 1:24 when the official slaps the mat & 1:23 when the time keeper stops the clock. By the time the official slaps the mat, Fattore's right shoulder is now off the mat - thus the roll through was completed in 1 second at most (less IMO).

The HS rule book reads that for a fall to be awarded, both shoulders &/or scapulas must be on the mat for 2 seconds. The 2 second count does not start until the official is in position to see both shoulders/scapulas.

1 hour ago, SIACfan said:

This is probably the best post in this entire thread. This was a bad call, but everything else I saw from this official tells me his is a good official. I don't know if this particular official does any college officiating, but that was a college call - a fall is awarded the instant both shoulders &/or scapulas are on the mat simultaneously.

Not sure where the opposite angle photo came from, but it clearly shows that Fattore's left shoulder/scapula is not on the mat. After watching/rewinding/pausing the video several times you can see that at the moment the official is in the position shown in the opposite angle photo the clock reads 1:25 of the 3rd period. It then reads 1:24 when the official slaps the mat & 1:23 when the time keeper stops the clock. By the time the official slaps the mat, Fattore's right shoulder is now off the mat - thus the roll through was completed in 1 second at most (less IMO).

The HS rule book reads that for a fall to be awarded, both shoulders &/or scapulas must be on the mat for 2 seconds. The 2 second count does not start until the official is in position to see both shoulders/scapulas.

He is a good official and was a heck of a wrestler. 

• Y2CJ41 locked this topic