Wow - Fattore pinned himself!

SWINfan

Hobart's Fattore loses controversial semifinal at state wrestling finals

Feb 17, 2018 at 7:30 PMJim Peters 
jim.peters@nwi.com, 219-548-4363
5a88e92b17422.hires.jpg?resize=450%2C300

INDIANAPOLIS — A questionable final-minute pin call abruptly ended Zack Fattore's undefeated season and a run at the 170-pound state championship in Saturday's semifinals at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

He sat on the mat stunned by the outcome, while an equally surprised Jordan Rader of Peru celebrated.

Upon further review, it shouldn't have happened.

Advertisement: Story Continues Below

Fattore showed a video taken from the video of the match that his shoulders were not secured against the mat, so the pin call was wrong.

"I wasn't pinned, 100 percent," Fattore said. "That doesn't mean I would have won for sure, but in the moment, I wasn't pinned. My coaches asked the other ref if he could see a different angle, but it was indisputable. I asked another ref and he said it was bogus. It sucked that my only loss was on a controversial call, but things happen. I fully accept the ref's call. I'm not going to be a crybaby about it."

The irony for Fattore was he could've eased through the final minute and won a match he was leading 3-0.

"I took a risk," he said. "I've been holding back on my technique. My whole goal the whole tournament was to wrestle my full potential. I told myself I wasn't going to lay on the mat."

Fattore was scheduled to wrestle Munster's Cody Crary for third place but Crary defaulted after a leg injury sustained in his semifinal match.

"I didn't get a chance to prove to myself that I could beat Crary by more," Fattore said. "It was a pride thing for me. I just get to focus on school more now.

2 hours ago, base said:

A “picture” as in a snapshot hardly confirms a pin. Wrestlers roll across their back all the time. Sure if you take a photo it might show someone pinned but Fattore was rolling Rader to his back. I’m a fan of Rader and he wrestled well, but ref should 100% have allowed these two to decide it on the mat

There is a video on this thread as well. 

2 hours ago, headlock83 said:

I don't know if I would have called the pin, but let's face it, the tilt does come with some degree of risk.  I saw him almost do it in an earlier match either Friday or Saturday morning.  Too bad.

really? if indeed that is the case then no sectional assignment for you as well. maybe in the future this should be final criteria for officials advancement show them this video and hear their choice. if after the fact you cant admit the clear blown call.... well... just no words.

Edited by MCKAJC

1 minute ago, MCKAJC said:

really? if indeed that is the case then no sectional assignment for you as well. maybe in the future this should be final criteria for officials advancement show them this video and hear the choice. if after the fact you cant admit the clear blown call.... well... no words

Huh?

2 minutes ago, headlock83 said:

Huh?

what do you mean "huh? you said you didn't know if you would have made the call and eluded that earlier in the tournament fattore was in danger of a similar call. or did i read your post backward?? i thought my reply was very plain and to the point. no?

Edited by MCKAJC

28 minutes ago, MCKAJC said:

what do you mean "huh? you said you didn't know if you would have made the call and eluded that earlier in the tournament fattore was in danger of a similar call. or did i read your post backward?? i thought my reply was very plain and to the point. no?

There's a good reason why you were sitting 25' from the mat and not officiating. The official that you're trying to fault was voted upon to be in the position he was. This isn't just a popularity decision, but based upon integrity and following the rule book. Sorry things didn't go your way. 

59 minutes ago, MCKAJC said:

I was actually on the same side of the argument as you or at least I thought.  Not a good call was the point.  Not sure what your point is.  So, I say again HUH! 

Wow. I haven't been on the boards..I can't believe how many people think this was called correctly. Two seconds is a long time, friends. It's questionable whether he had part of both scapulae or both shoulders on the mat at the same time. It's no where NEAR questionable whether either of those criteria happened for two seconds. That was way, way too fast. Not even in the same timezone as a pin. I'm shocked people are defending it.

"Go flat and you put yourself at the ref's mercy." What? Am I at his mercy if I let myself get taken down out of bounds or after the buzzer? Touch falls are not the rule. I shouldn't be at the mercy of random misapplication of rules. Seriously, I'm blown away by how many people could care less if a pin is 2 seconds. Yikes.

Edited by maligned

4 hours ago, 1prouddad said:

There's a good reason why you were sitting 25' from the mat and not officiating. The official that you're trying to fault was voted upon to be in the position he was. This isn't just a popularity decision, but based upon integrity and following the rule book. Sorry things didn't go your way. 

I wonder if this ref will get as many votes next year after that call.

a couple questionable calls shouldn't over shadow the fact that the officiating was really good overall. A lot of really good officials were in the stands and working tables we need to change the system and get the best officials there on the floor, We might need a Officials ranking page. Kinda joking but also very serious 

I like how Eric McGill, one of the most consistent refs in the state, can't ref in the state tournament because of the system put in place. Votes and politics hold refs out that should be there. He Hits stalls/stalemates like they should be called. IMO he is the best. Dang the guy can ref D1 college meets but he isn't good enough to officiate our state tourney? There has to be a system to where the guys that are out of the game do not get put in place, I am sorry if anyone feels different but MAT 3 there were 2 bad calls that might have been the worse I have ever seen, Great job to Mulkey and Fattore, but both of them did not get the officiating that should be at the state finals. The consistency of calls was very bad, again IMO. I hate to see refs decide the match. Mulkeys match was based upon a judgement call that was terrible, and could not be reviewed, but Fattore match do we implement the replay at the state tourney to avoid these calls? Do we bring up a DANGER rule to where if a kid is on his back in danger the ref can let him know? What about the 2 second rule on the back, are we not implementing that anymore? It is over and in the past now, but I would hate to see this happen to more kids. To Mulkey and Fattore, I am truly sorry this happened to you guys. I know for a fact that your guys future is bright, hold your head high! 

1 hour ago, brickfor6 said:

I like how Eric McGill, one of the most consistent refs in the state, can't ref in the state tournament because of the system put in place. Votes and politics hold refs out that should be there. He Hits stalls/stalemates like they should be called. IMO he is the best. Dang the guy can ref D1 college meets but he isn't good enough to officiate our state tourney? There has to be a system to where the guys that are out of the game do not get put in place, I am sorry if anyone feels different but MAT 3 there were 2 bad calls that might have been the worse I have ever seen, Great job to Mulkey and Fattore, but both of them did not get the officiating that should be at the state finals. The consistency of calls was very bad, again IMO. I hate to see refs decide the match. Mulkeys match was based upon a judgement call that was terrible, and could not be reviewed, but Fattore match do we implement the replay at the state tourney to avoid these calls? Do we bring up a DANGER rule to where if a kid is on his back in danger the ref can let him know? What about the 2 second rule on the back, are we not implementing that anymore? It is over and in the past now, but I would hate to see this happen to more kids. To Mulkey and Fattore, I am truly sorry this happened to you guys. I know for a fact that your guys future is bright, hold your head high! 

I agree like I said some very questionable calls over shadowed what was a nice showing from the officials.  

3 hours ago, ontherise219 said:

a couple questionable calls shouldn't over shadow the fact that the officiating was really good overall. A lot of really good officials were in the stands and working tables we need to change the system and get the best officials there on the floor, We might need a Officials ranking page. Kinda joking but also very serious 

I agree but unfortunately kids dreams are still ruined by terrible calls... I understand refs making debatable calls was his toes in etc etc... but that mulkey stalling call and the fattore “defensive” pin call were rough there’s a difference between a bad call and a questionable call

34 minutes ago, Wrestlingaddict101 said:

I agree but unfortunately kids dreams are still ruined by terrible calls... I understand refs making debatable calls was his toes in etc etc... but that mulkey stalling call and the fattore “defensive” pin call were rough there’s a difference between a bad call and a questionable call

I agree both were not good calls. 

Edited by ontherise219

6 hours ago, ontherise219 said:

a couple questionable calls shouldn't over shadow the fact that the officiating was really good overall. 

Definitely agree. In general, most of the negative reactions at the state finals are overreactions by all of us because we're biased toward our guy. In general, the officials who make it to the state finals do an unbelievable job. This thread includes the very first specific negative comment I've ever made on this board about a call at the state finals because I respect so much what those guys do.

I'm just shocked by this thread and how many people are cool with such an obvious touch fall that is so contrary to how the rule is supposed to be applied.