Wow - Fattore pinned himself!

SWINfan

52 minutes ago, MCKAJC said:

If that's really your take.... I had same angle as ref I was middle of mat 2 during injury time. That particular ref should not get a sectional assignment in the future I know we will scratch him from this point on. No less than pathetic call

Opinions vary....   of course, yours is always right.  

2 hours ago, SWINfan said:

I just re-watched it 3x.  The still shot posted is after his shoulder blades were flat.  He put himself in that position with his left shoulder up and right down. The ref saw it and moved into position.  He rolled slowly to get back points and as he rolled from one shoulder to another, he was flat for a split second.  By the time the ref slapped the mat, his right shoulder was off the mat.  It was quick.  I don't pretend to know how they teach that or if there is a specific rule for defensive pins.  I've seen many a wrestler put himself in that position, but by the time the ref gets down to see it, the moment has passed.  Today it just happened for a split second 2' from the refs nose.  I can't say whether the call was right or wrong and my "common sense meter" says its probably a call you don't make that quickly.  But it could very well be technically the correct call.

Horrible situation.  By looking at the video angle the official realized he's in danger and moves to position.  The situation barely changes but he never leaves the pinning zone.  From the time the situation started, official reacted, and slap of the mat, according to my stopwatch it was past 2 seconds. 

Let me be clear... No official ever wants to make that call, especially in the State Semi-Finals.  But as officials we can't inject our feelings.  Sadly he did pin himself. 

Note: As an official I'll speak up if I think it was called correctly if I happen to be looking at the forums.  If I disagree with a call you won't see me tough the conversation with a 10 foot pole. You've gotta understand that!

Edited by GrecoISU

How about this idea.  Maybe coaches could give some justice, and vote Fattore for mental attitude award.  Not sure  what defines mental attitude, but this kid has worked his butt off, and came up with the boggest screw, but he still showed great sportsmanship.  He really deserves it over anybody.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

i will say this, i was standing behind the scorers table when this happened. all the officials that were there agreed with the call. i am not now, nor have i ever been an official, but i know many of them, and have very candid conversations with them.all of them said it was a good call, but a tough one to make. the kid handled it wish class and dignity, and deserves huge respect for that.

7 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

I take it you didn't read all my responses.   You took one and decided attack it.   You should be imbarassed!

Don't be so emotional its not about you either. Remember? 

Edited by MCKAJC

3 minutes ago, MCKAJC said:

Don't be so emotional its not about you either. Remember? 

If you think I'm emotional or think it's about me, then your brain is just wrong in every way it works, or at least how you see my words on a screen.  Maybe you need an interpreter?  No go ahead and get in the last word and I'll end my time here.  Make yourself feel good by finishing this with a shot.  I may read it, I may not.  But I won't be emotional nor will I care.

4 hours ago, SWINfan said:

If you think I'm emotional or think it's about me, then your brain is just wrong in every way it works, or at least how you see my words on a screen.  Maybe you need an interpreter?  No go ahead and get in the last word and I'll end my time here.  Make yourself feel good by finishing this with a shot.  I may read it, I may not.  But I won't be emotional nor will I care.

Calm down Mr emotional I said it's NOT about you. Hahaha.... my brain is what?? What is your major malfunction son? You do make me laugh.... how about you post another paragraph about less nothing... take a deep breath......

The picture posted on this thread shows it well. If you all really knew the pinning area  (it is not the shoulder blades!!), he was definitely pinned. Take a look at the rule book and you will see the pinning area is more than half way down the back. When I give coaches/official's clinics, this is the one most are surprised to learn. 

That is one of the worst calls, considering the circumstances, I have ever seen. Fattore was not flat for two seconds as the rule mandates. The fact that other officials are on here defending that call is comical. I understand  bad calls happen and accept that nobody is perfect but when other officials try to stand by an egregious call like this, it makes you wonder about the honesty or competence of officials in general. 

4 hours ago, rhayes said:

The picture posted on this thread shows it well. If you all really knew the pinning area  (it is not the shoulder blades!!), he was definitely pinned. Take a look at the rule book and you will see the pinning area is more than half way down the back. When I give coaches/official's clinics, this is the one most are surprised to learn. 

A “picture” as in a snapshot hardly confirms a pin. Wrestlers roll across their back all the time. Sure if you take a photo it might show someone pinned but Fattore was rolling Rader to his back. I’m a fan of Rader and he wrestled well, but ref should 100% have allowed these two to decide it on the mat

3 hours ago, rhayes said:

Not sure of “you all” but for me it was not knowing the area of back required to touch the mat for a pin...but  the criteria of required time.

Can anyone show the clock on track and the roll through from start to finish?

Two second is long enough to get a takedown. Seen this at State Finals many years ago. A roll through would have to be near slow motion. We can agree to disagree as I know my opinion.