Team Scores

Coach Brown

17 minutes ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

You kept saying that on tnt hang out as well.. how in the hell are they not counting bonus points?  

Just on Friday night.  They count in full force beginning tomorrow morning.  My brain can't process their logic and spit out anything that makes sense to me.

Columbus East is making their presence known, they have 5 in the semi finals. 

1 hour ago, Coach Brown said:

I am assuming so, I guess we shall see how things will pan out today. I think that it is going to be a tight team race with Cathedral, Brownsburg, and possibly Columbus East. 

Cathedral with 6 in the semis, Brownsburg and Columbus East with 5 each. Gonna be one hell of a finish. If a Rooks gets knocked off, CE is probably out. And, outside of Walton and Lee, no more Bulldog finalists would make this too close to call. Still believe who emerges from 138 wins it!!! Go get 'em Zach Melloh!! Dominate. Go Irish!!! 

Cathedral has the numbers in the semi-finals and wrestlebacks to make it theirs  unless a collapse happens.   Even if they don’t get almost all to the finals that still a good amount of 3&4 place points to go with their other placement guys.  

Brownsburg and Columbus East need a  lot of finalists and champions to make up for the points Cathedral should still earn.  

Perry and Portage in battle for 4 & 5 but no real shot at getting to 3rd.   

Edited by MattM

9 minutes ago, RaiderColfax said:

Cathedral is going to smash the team score record. Wow they are putting on a show

Not so fast. If Columbus East get 3 champs, I think they win. Rooks boys will be hard to beat. If South wins, it might be a CE title. Cathedral has to have 2 champs to win, and we have no sure things. 

What is the record for team points? It's going to interesting to say the least. 

Going into the Finals

Brownsburg has two finalist, two going for 5/6th and three going for 3/4th. (7 total)

Cathedral has four finalist, two going for 3/4th, and one going for 7/8th.   (7 total)

Columbus East has three finalist, two going for 3/4th, and one going for 7/8th.  (6 total)

I believe WC set the record in 2016 with 105.5 pts.

After semis, it is Cath 100, BB 87, Col East 85.5

If the Melloh-Mulkey match went the other way (along with removing the 3pt coach flagrant misconduct penalty), the scores would currently be:

BB 97, Cath 93, Col East 85.5 plus all 3 teams would each have 3 wrestling in the finals.

This year's IHSAA program says the record was 105.5 -- 2016 Warren Central.

I just checked & Warren had 2 pins in that Friday session so the stupid no-Friday-night-bonus-points rule lowered the points from 109.5 to 105.5. 

And now Cathedral holds the record at 108.

Edited by slice60
typo

2 minutes ago, slice60 said:

This year's IHSAA program says the record was 105.5 -- 2016 Warren Central.

I just checked & Warren had 2 pins in that Friday session so the stupid no-Friday-night-bonus-points rule lowered the points from 109.5 to 105.5. 

And now Cathedral holds the record at 108.

damn that's impressive

For the record, I am neutral. So please don't beat up the messenger. This is for all you Mathletes out there.

Official Team Scores: Cathedral 108, Brownsburg 100.5

If the Melloh-Mulkey match went the other way, Brownsburg gets 2nd (12pts for 2nd+ 2pt advancement in that match) & assuming Cathedral gets 3rd (9pts for 3rd). Plus, Snyder wouldn't have gotten the 3-point team penalty. So BB gets 8 more points & Cath gets 5 fewer points.

Hypothetical team scores: Cathedral 103, Brownsburg 108.5

Evansville Mater Dei would far and away have the record under any format ever if the IHSAA had counted team points for the individual state finals in 2003. Eight placers: one 6th, two 3rds, a runner-up, and 4 champs. That's 161 with Friday night bonus points and 149.5 without. There were some other scores higher than 109.5 during the team state era also.

9 hours ago, mikemorgan said:

They scored Friday night that year.  109.5 is the score to beat.  

Yes, they SHOULD ALWAYS count the Bonus Points from Friday night.

IHSAA program said 105.5 for Warren. I bet that next year's program will show Cathedral holds the record at 108. So you will have to take your case directly to the IHSAA.

First of all let me say congratulations to all of the teams mentioned in this thread.

Impressive performances by all!

Just for discussion sake, I would like to throw in the 1980-1981 Delta team that scored 99 points.

1.  Current system:  14 weight classes with 16 individuals

1980-81 season:  13 weight classes with 12 individuals

2.  Current system:  8 place winners

1980-81 season:  4 place winners

3.  Current system:  1st - 16 pts, 2nd - 12 pts, 3rd - 9 pts, 4th - 7 pts and so on.

1980-81 season:  1st - 14 pts, 2nd - 10 pts, 3rd - 7 pts and 4th - 4 pts, and NO points for 5-8 as they didn't place past 4th.

So not taking into consideration that one of the above mentioned teams would need to drop a wrestler (to get to 13 weight classes), we would have to add points to the Delta total just for the place winners they had:

112# - Chris Ruble (4th) +3 for 7 pts ('18) instead of 4 pts ('81)

119# - Doug Campbell (Qualifier) +0

126# - Chris Campbell (Champion) +2 for 16 pts ('18) instead of 14 pts ('81)

132# - Don Heintzelman (Champion) +2

155# - Greg Gadbury (Champion) +2

167# - David Palmer (Champion) +2

This is a total of +11 just for place finishing, bringing the 99 points up to 110.

Don't forget to subtract 4 points from Indianapolis Cathedral for the 285# 7th place.  Those points were not available in 1980-1981.  This brings Indianapolis Cathedral's total down to 104.

They are all great teams!  My discussion point is that I think as times change over the years the best way to measure dominance is how you performed against the competition at the time.  Dominance would be the margin of victory, not the most points totaled in history.  The 1980-1981 Delta team still has the largest margin of victory of 48.5 points.  No disrespect to the great Indianapolis Cathedral (108) and Brownsburg (100.5) teams of this year, but that is only 7.5 point separating them.

So in the future when the NFHS increases the number of weight classes to 15 or 16 and the IHSAA expands the field to 20 or 32 wrestlers per weight class then surely the 108 or 109.5 point record will fall.  Does that make these teams any less impressive?  Absolutely not!  They are both very impressive, it's just hard to compare scores from one year to the next when the IHSAA is continually making changes.

Just some thoughts, don't beat me up too much on your replies :) 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.