Team Scoring at IHSAA State

base

Last year the IHSAA deducted all of the "activity points" for the Friday night matches. Assuming they will do the same this year and only count activity bonus points (pin = 2, technical fall = 1.5, major decision = 1) from Saturday morning on.

The other points awarded are for advancement (2.0 per round you move forward) and placement points.  Since the advancement and placement points are locked in, here is how the placers will score - the variable then is the bonus activity points.

• 1st = 22 points + bonus on 3 Saturday wins
  • 2nd = 18 points + bonus on 2 Saturday wins
  • 3rd = 13 points + bonus on 2 Saturday wins
  • 4th = 11 points + bonus on 1 Saturday win
  • 5th = 9 points + bonus on 2 Saturday wins
  • 6th = 7 points + bonus on 1 Saturday win
  • 7th = 4 points + bonus on 1 Saturday win
  • 8th = 3 points (no bonus possible)

TEAMS IN CONTENTION (and # of wrestlers)

1. Indianapolis Cathedral (10)
  2. Portage (9)
  3. Columbus East (8)
  4. Brownsburg (7)
  5. Mater Dei (6)
  6. Penn (6)
  7. Perry Meridian (6)
  8. Yorktown (6)
  9. Avon (5)

45 minutes ago, base said:

Last year the IHSAA deducted all of the "activity points" for the Friday night matches. Assuming they will do the same this year and only count activity bonus points (pin = 2, technical fall = 1.5, major decision = 1) from Saturday morning on.

The other points awarded are for advancement (2.0 per round you move forward) and placement points.  Since the advancement and placement points are locked in, here is how the placers will score - the variable then is the bonus activity points.

• 5th = 9 points + bonus on 2 Saturday wins
  • 6th = 7 points + bonus on 1 Saturday win

TEAMS IN CONTENTION (and # of wrestlers)

1. Indianapolis Cathedral (10)
  2. Portage (9)
  3. Columbus East (8)
  4. Brownsburg (7)
  5. Mater Dei (6)
  6. Penn (6)
  7. Perry Meridian (6)
  8. Yorktown (6)
  9. Avon (5)

Chesterton also bringing 6?

My Top 5 prediction:

1. Brownsburg

2. Portage

3. Columbus East

4. Cathedral

5. Chesterton

3 hours ago, base said:

I guess the ticket round matches don't count for much, that must be why we don't score the points from those matches. 

Some really key matchups to watch that may swing the team scoring:

• 106 Kysen Montgomery (BROWN) vs Jacob Moran (PORT) in the 2nd round.  Loser here can only get 5th at best
  • 106 Logan Bailey (CATH) vs winner of Montgomery/Moran in 3rd round
  • 113 Ricky Hegedus (PORT) vs Devin Casebolt (Castle) in 1st round. A win here could propel Hegedus to top 4 and good team points
  • 120 Brock Peele (PORT) vs Brendan Mattingly (Carmel) in 1st round. Peele can score big points but has to win this first
  • 120 Sam Fair (PM) vs Drake Campbell (BROWN) in 2nd round.  I give advantage to PM here
  • 126 Colin Poynter (PORT) vs Alec Viduya (Roncalli) in 2nd round. Tough for Poynter to get to top 4
  • 126 Ty Mills (BROWN) vs Christian Mejia (Elk Mem) in 2nd round.  Mills has to win this one to setup rematch with Asa in semis
  • 132 Alex Mosconi (CATH) got a dream bracket he should score big points
  • 132 Graham Rooks (COL EAST) is the favorite here but his road is rough. Betourne, Gimson, Manzona Bryant and that's just to make it to the finals (likely against Mosconi).  I think he can do it
  • 138 Kris Rumph (PORT) vs Matt Lee (EMD) in 2nd round.  Can Lee stop this takedown machine?
  • 138 I think most of the seeds play out here putting Combest vs Rumph, Melloh vs Mulkey as final 4
  • 145 HUGE HUGE matchup in 2nd round for team scores as Slivka (CATH) faces McIntosh (PORT).  Either of these guys could be state champ, but one will only finish 5th at best!!
  • 145 Schoenegge (COL EAST) vs Antwaun Graves (Warren) in 2nd round. Advancing here will be tough but could provide huge team points. I have Graves winning this one he's too quick
  • 152 Elliott Rodgers (CATH) - Not sure how far Rodgers can get his matchups look good and he has the whole top of the bracket to himself as far as team battles
  • 152 Aiden Warren (PM) vs Donnell Washington (PORT) in 1st round.  Wow, one of these 2 won't even score team points!  And guess what - the winner gets Brayton Lee next OUCH!
  • 152 Eric Hiestand (YORK) vs Corban Pollitt (COL EAST) in 1st round.  A match like this could be the swing really.  If Pollitt can win it's a huge advantage to Columbus East team with some extra points. Yorktown would have to have this
  • 160 Nick South (COL EAST) vs Anthony Mosconi (CATH) in 2nd round. Mosconi has Kasch first so he might not even make it here. If South can win here, he should go to the finals
  • 160 Diego Lemley (CHEST) vs Gleason Mappes (CentGrove) in 2nd round. Lemley made it to the finals last year this is a brutal draw early as Mappes is #1 ranked but a #2 semistate finisher to South
  • 170 Noah Warren (PM) vs Carson Brewer (AVON) in semis
  • 182 #1 Nathan Walton (BROWN) is in bottom half of bracket, along with #2 Cressell and #3 Allred.  Walton may have super athlete Jonyvan Johnson (New Haven) in 2nd round.  Walton can win this weight but can he rack up bonus points against these matchups?
  • 195 Lucas Davison (CHEST) should win this weight and rack up mega bonus points
  • 285 Eli Pokorney (CHEST) could also win this whole thing. Chesterton needs all their guys scoring big to have a shot.
  • 285 Jacob Obst (CATH) won at NC last weekend. He has McCubbins (Monrovia) in tough 1st round matchup, then would likely have #1 McWilliams (SB Wash). If Obst can win at least one and maybe place around 5/6 that would be big

Really, I see the team race between Cathedral, Columbus East and Brownsburg

Brownsburg has the most near-sure things (Lee, Walton, Mulkey, Mills).  I think Cathedral and especially Portage have some really tough matchups that will prevent them from scoring big enough points to win it.

My picks are:

1. Columbus East (some landmines but huge potential here if Schoenegge and South have good tourneys)

2. Brownsburg (Walton's tough matches will restrict bonus points)

3. Cathedral (some tough draws but also some great draws)

4. Yorktown (I think they all win their first round, and Curtis + Hunt could win it all)

5. Perry Meridian (4 big scorers)

6. Chesterton (success hinges on Lemley)

7. Portage (great wrestlers, brutal draws)

8. Avon (Garcia and Brewer score big - need lots of bonus points from others)

You know, I think as a team Portage is fantastic, but their draws really are brutal

#14 Hegedus at 113 has #9 Casebolt.  I put it as 50/50 on who wins that.  Potentially 0 points here

#6 Peele at 120 with a brutal draw to get #3 Mattingly in 1st round. Another tossup in my mind, but rankings favor 0 points again

#4 Poynter at 126 gets #3 Viduya in 2nd round.  If he loses that one, best he can do is 5th place

I do like #5 Rumph matchups at 138.  He has tough matches but winnable.  I see good points here

McIntosh is the #1 guy but man having #3 Slivka in round 2 is brutal.  That's a huge potential landmine

#3 Washington also with an absolutely brutal draw.  First round against Perry's Aiden Warren then 2nd round he gets Brayton Lee. Unless he is a miracle worker, 5th place is the best he is going to get

Drake Guerrero at 170 has #17 Jake Lone in 1st round. If he gets by that, his points will certainly help but he's the underdog and would run into #1 Noah Warren in round 2

#17 Jeremy Torres at 182 has #7 Jonyvan Johnson in opening round.  I don't like Torres chances here and if he does win it, Nathan Walton is there in round 2 so again, 5th place is the likely cap

Like I said these are all skilled guys but the way the matchups fall, I just don't see a high side to a lot of their points

Don’t sleep on Chesterton. Easy champ in Davison. Likely champ in Portenoy. 3 other scorers. Will hinge on Lemley getting past Sat morn. I think they are the favorite though. Outside of BBurg’s 2 champs, don’t think they have but 1 other scorer. Maybe 2. Kysen or mulkey. If Mulkey wins, BBurg wins. 

If the Irish get a champ, I think they can score enough win. If we get two (Melloh, Bailey, Mosconi, or Slivka), Cathedral wins handily. 

Edited by IndianaWrestlingGuy1

23 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Don’t sleep on Chesterton. Easy champ in Davison. Likely champ in Portenoy. 2 other scorers. Will hinge on Lemley getting past Sat morn. I think they are the favorite though. Outside of BBurg’s 2 champs, don’t think they have but 1 other scorer. Maybe 2. Kysen or mulkey. If Mulkey wins, BBurg wins. 

I will take the over on only 3 or 4 scorers for Brownsburg.  I guess you have Mills and Campbell not scoring any points??

20 hours ago, base said:

You know, I think as a team Portage is fantastic, but their draws really are brutal

#14 Hegedus at 113 has #9 Casebolt.  I put it as 50/50 on who wins that.  Potentially 0 points here

#6 Peele at 120 with a brutal draw to get #3 Mattingly in 1st round. Another tossup in my mind, but rankings favor 0 points again

#4 Poynter at 126 gets #3 Viduya in 2nd round.  If he loses that one, best he can do is 5th place

I do like #5 Rumph matchups at 138.  He has tough matches but winnable.  I see good points here

McIntosh is the #1 guy but man having #3 Slivka in round 2 is brutal.  That's a huge potential landmine

#3 Washington also with an absolutely brutal draw.  First round against Perry's Aiden Warren then 2nd round he gets Brayton Lee. Unless he is a miracle worker, 5th place is the best he is going to get

Drake Guerrero at 170 has #17 Jake Lone in 1st round. If he gets by that, his points will certainly help but he's the underdog and would run into #1 Noah Warren in round 2

#17 Jeremy Torres at 182 has #7 Jonyvan Johnson in opening round.  I don't like Torres chances here and if he does win it, Nathan Walton is there in round 2 so again, 5th place is the likely cap

Like I said these are all skilled guys but the way the matchups fall, I just don't see a high side to a lot of their points

Don't forget Moran.

My final prediction after looking more in-depth

1 - Brownsburg (and I don't think it will be close. Potentially 4 in the finals-Mills, Mulkey, Lee, Walton)

2 - Portage (3 potentially in the finals-Moran, Rumph, McIntosh)

3 - Cathedral 

4 - Columbus East 

5 - Perry Meridian (3 potentially in the finals-Fair, Warren, Cottey)

When are they going to fix this flawed system and start doing right by the kids? Need to have full wrestle backs to get a true reflection of a teams full strength! Right now a good draw is playing a huge factor in who brings home the trophy. 

19 minutes ago, base said:

I'd like to see them count bonus points for the first round!  Doesn't matter if it is a #1 vs #4 at this level a pin should be counted as a quality match and rewarded on the team points.

Someone explained once why IHSAA didn't score these points  in the first round.  But I forgot,  because its such a ridiculous concept. 

So why don't we score bonus points again?   Also,  as a counterproposal,  I recommend that the IHSAA not  score 1st quarter points in all the state championship basketball games.

On 2/12/2018 at 5:02 PM, Numberz said:

base, good presentation. I thought advancement in the con's was worth 1 point.

Numberz You were correct - it is only 1 points for advancement in consolation.  This really only affects the 5th and 6th place finishers as they are the only wrestlers that actually "advance" in consolations.  All the rest lose (7th/8th) or are drawn directly to their final match (3rd/4th).

So I was off by a point on 5th and 6th. The updated points are:

• 5th = 8 points + bonus on 2 Saturday wins
  • 6th = 6 points + bonus on 1 Saturday win

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.