Seeding

bluechipper

It's rather annoying to see people who've never wrestled try to explain their position on why wrestle-backs shouldn't be a thing. Safe to say, they're clueless. So, if we can't have wrestle-backs, let's at least try to get a more focused effort on seeding so we can somehow get the best wrestlers advanced.

I’m actually against seeding after sectionals.  The wrestler earns the seperetion position he gets as he advance through the tournament.  

What I don’t like is a random draw deciding someone can’t get the opportunity to advance despite having the ability to wrestle to a top 4 state qualifying spot?  Several people couldn’t make the cut yesterday due to ability or just putting together a sub-par performance.  But some wrestlers were put out just because they lost a one score match to a possible state finalist who was randomly placed in their quarter of the bracket.

I’m be very much in favor of wrestle-backs at the ticket round since that is when the random draw has the biggest effect on who gets to the top 4.  Give the wrestlers a chance to show which 4 preformed the best on that day and are deserving their state position.  Seeding won’t show who preformed the best and would take away what some wrestlers earned the previous week.   Sure it’s a little longer day to have wrestlebacks but I think the coaches and wrestlers would appreciate having those who wrestled the best that day being able to prove they have earned their placement on the mat.  

Rather than full or quarter-final wrestle backs I’d even accept only letting those who lost to the finalist during the ticketround being pulled back in to face the losers of the semi-finals for a shot at the 3/4 match. Not a perfect wrestle-back solution, but it solve most issues with the random draw deciding who can advance to state.  That’s just 2 extra matches per weight on 4 mats. That wouldn’t add a lot to the tournament time compared to the standard quarter-final wrestle-backs.  I’m not looking for the top ranked kids to advance, the top seeds, or even the top regional placers, but I would like to see everyone have their best chance at letting their performance prove they should be able to advance and what state position that puts them in.  

Edited by MattM

23 minutes ago, MattM said:

I’m actually against seeding after sectionals.  The wrestler earns the seperetion position he gets as he advance through the tournament.  

What I don’t like is a random draw deciding someone can’t get the opportunity to advance despite having the ability to wrestle to a top 4 state qualifying spot?  Several people couldn’t make the cut yesterday due to ability or just putting together a sub-par performance.  But some wrestlers were put out just because they lost a one score match to a possible state finalist who was randomly placed in their quarter of the bracket.

I’m be very much in favor of wrestle-backs at the ticket round since that is when the random draw has the biggest effect on who gets to the top 4.  Give the wrestlers a chance to show which 4 preformed the best on that day and are deserving their state position.  Seeding won’t show who preformed the best and would take away what some wrestlers earned the previous week.   Sure it’s a little longer day to have wrestlebacks but I think the coaches and wrestlers would appreciate having those who wrestled the best that day being able to prove they have earned their placement on the mat.  

Rather than full of quartet final wrestle backs I’d even accept only letting those who lost to the finalist during the ticket round being pulled back in to face the losers of the semi-finals for a shot at the 3/4 match. Not a perfect wrestle-back solution, but it solve most issues with the random draw deciding who can advance to state. 2 extra matches per weight on 4 mats. That wouldn’t add a lot to the tournament time compared to a full or quarter-final wrestle backs.   

This actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. I'm just frustrated as a former wrestler, fan, and friend to many of the guys competing and watching them be sent home when I know first-hand they can beat guys who advanced. Any attempt at making a resolution would satisfy me at this point. I just wish the IHSAA would show they care about wrestling.

An extra mat added during the championship round would not bother anyone and I’m sure the wrestlers who lost in the ticket round would not wine a bit about having an opportunity to earn a spot that they deserve. I’m sure the parents of those kids wouldn’t mind either. 4,5, or 6 wrestlers ranked in the top 16 of each weight class will not be wrestling next week because they drew a stud who was 1-5 ranked.  The draw should not be random either in semi states. We want the 16 best wrestlers going to the state finals. The onus is on the lower seeded and lower skilled wrestlers to rise up to the challenge. And if they do, that’s great. You don’t put studs against studs until the end. 

5 hours ago, bluechipper said:

It's rather annoying to see people who've never wrestled try to explain their position on why wrestle-backs shouldn't be a thing. Safe to say, they're clueless. So, if we can't have wrestle-backs, let's at least try to get a more focused effort on seeding so we can somehow get the best wrestlers advanced.

Preach.  It's so annoying.

15 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

Word on the street is IHSAA got word of this post and felt so offended that they took the brackets down. In return, they're shipping participation ribbons out to everyone that wrestled this year so everyone is satisfied. 

When you watch Karate Kid I bet you are yelling Sweep the Leg!!! 

3 hours ago, 1prouddad said:

Word on the street is IHSAA got word of this post and felt so offended that they took the brackets down. In return, they're shipping participation ribbons out to everyone that wrestled this year so everyone is satisfied. 

This was terrible.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.