How about those wrestlebacks?

wrestleliferfan

8 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

It has been 3 hours between a wrestler's round of 16 match and his quarterfinal match at Evansville. Add wrestle backs and they may not finish before the start of state next week.  Brutal.

How about roll out another mat lol

7 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Theres a lot of wrestlers around the state saying maybe wrestlebacks arent bad, and im better than that guy that just qualified to state with the lucky draw..

I guess we'll never know if they were really better or not because they simply weren't good enough today!!

5 minutes ago, WOC said:

But we do know that the guys who were the best today advanced.

Maybe youre opinion, but i  saw sone guys not advance and wrestle better than guys  that advanced.  Saw some guys that were better at gettibg lucky draws also today.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

2 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Maybe youre opinion, but i  saw sone guys not advance and wrestle better than guys  that advanced.  Saw some guys that were better at gettibg lucky draws also today.

The way it works though is you need to be better than the guy that walks out on the mat against you. The luckiest guys are the ones that make their own luck by beating whoever walks out on the mat against them.  Everyone started the day in the same situation.... You win your little 4 man quarter bracket and you advance to next week.  The luckiest guys were the ones that won those quarter brackets by being better today than the guy that walked out on the mat against them.

8 minutes ago, WOC said:

The way it works though is you need to be better than the guy that walks out on the mat against you. The luckiest guys are the ones that make their own luck by beating whoever walks out on the mat against them.  Everyone started the day in the same situation.... You win your little 4 man quarter bracket and you advance to next week.  The luckiest guys were the ones that won those quarter brackets by being better today than the guy that walked out on the mat against them.

That’s actually a pretty good way of putting it and for the most part I agree. But it does suck to see wrestlers that would fare better in Indy stay home while the “lucky draw” kids get to move on. But if the IHSAA doesn’t want to do wrestlebacks or seed semi-state brackets to try and separate the best, not much else we can do about it.

6 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

And I seen a guy wrestle with the 2nd worst record in his bracket come in and get the job done. With his season and HS career on the line, Davidson from Columbus East takes out a 1 seed in Gamblin from North Posey. It was no fluke as he then takes out Willhem(Green) to punch his ticket. He wasn't done though as he battled against a very tough Fuller and lost a close one. Battles in the 3/4 place match against state ranked Kleinhenz who just beat 8th ranked Jonah Hays and wins another close one. 

We could go on all day about wrestlebacks and would've could've scenarios, but the bottom line is just as WOC put it. Lace'em up and beat the man in front of you, no excuses. 

11 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Agree! I'm not trying to knock any wrestler, but there were quite a few clearly qualified State wrestlers who did not advance. For 138 example, a few greats would have been better off placing 3rd at Regionals rather than winning. They would have been a shoo in to State. Start seeding them! Surely we can come up with clear criteria?! 

Everyone arguing for wrestlebacks understands the 'beat the guy on the mat with you' concept. Wrestlebacks don't change that, they simply eliminate the 'luck of the draw' from the equation. If a wrestler is truly worthy, he will beat the guy on the mat with him in wrestlebacks.

Furthermore as someone stated last week, wrestlebacks aren't needed to protect against upsets. Upsets happen every year & would continue to happen with wrestlebacks. They're needed to eliminate the luck of the draw.

Lastly, I hate the idea of seeding the SS's. Way to subjective & as we witnessed yesterday, the rankings are often not accurate.

3 minutes ago, wrestleliferfan said:

Agree! I'm not trying to knock any wrestler, but there were quite a few clearly qualified State wrestlers who did not advance. For 138 example, a few greats would have been better off placing 3rd at Regionals rather than winning. They would have been a shoo in to State. Start seeding them! Surely we can come up with clear criteria?! 

There is no such thing as a shoo in at semi-state!!!! It’s simple.... the guys that beat the other guy that came in the mat against them advanced and the guys that weren’t quite good enough yesterday are done for the season.  Everyone started yesterday in the same situation.

Just now, SIACfan said:

Everyone arguing for wrestlebacks understands the 'beat the guy on the mat with you' concept. Wrestlebacks don't change that, they simply eliminate the 'luck of the draw' from the equation. If a wrestler is truly worthy, he will beat the guy on the mat with him in wrestlebacks.

Furthermore as someone stated last week, wrestlebacks aren't needed to protect against upsets. Upsets happen every year & would continue to happen with wrestlebacks. They're needed to eliminate the luck of the draw.

Lastly, I hate the idea of seeding the SS's. Way to subjective & as we witnessed yesterday, the rankings are often not accurate.

Umm Mike had 80% of the state qualifiers in the rankings.

12 hours ago, WOC said:

But we do know that the guys who were the best today advanced.

This is where you are wrong. The only way to know for sure that the most deserving on a particular day advance is to have wrestlebacks. All we know is that the best in their particular quarter bracket yesterday advanced.

20 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

It has been 3 hours between a wrestler's round of 16 match and his quarterfinal match at Evansville. Add wrestle backs and they may not finish before the start of state next week.  Brutal.

The Ford Center easily can have five mats they do it the very next day for Freshman/Sophomore qualifier.  Time would not be an issue.

1 minute ago, SIACfan said:

This is where you are wrong. The only way to know for sure that the most deserving on a particular day advance is to have wrestlebacks. All we know is that the best in their particular quarter bracket yesterday advanced.

The guys that were good enough yesterday to win their matches advanced and the guys that weren’t good enough yesterday did not advance.

2 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Umm Mike had 80% of the state qualifiers in the rankings.

OK, but that is not what I am talking about. How many ranked wrestlers were beaten by someone ranked lower?

Are you arguing that seedings aren't subjective? The guys doing the ranking do a great job, but it is impossible to get them 100% right.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.