Upsets, surprises and great matches

ontherise219

30 minutes ago, navy80 said:

A lot of talk of 170's from Mooresville Regional but it's the Jeffersonville 170's who showed up today and took 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Yes..I was very confident.. they brought it today and nothing was easy in the ticket round..Great wrestling today

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

1 minute ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Yes..I was very confident..Yet brought it today and nothing was easy in ghee ticket round..Great wrestling today

Absolutely! My Evansville pickems is terrible with so many swing matches.  Ive done well in all other semi states

9 minutes ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

And for the record I stand by my prior statement..Brewer is a animal and it will take a Herculean effort to beat him. 

ahhh.... now all the northerners will have to criticize that statement lol

3 hours ago, navy80 said:

Wow.. Huge win by the freshman.  Someone now will draw Viduya a defending state champ as a semi state runner. Possible candidates- Rooks, Mills, Schoef, Meija, Poyntger, Demien

First round vs. Viduya will be Schoeff, the Poynter/Demien loser, or...wait for it...Asa Garcia

For people that were at New Castle: what do you make of Hall going into next weekend? Rolls through Viduya then gets smashed by Smiley. Does he have more than one strong performance in him next weekend? If he faces Mills first round, could he get amped up again like he was vs. Viduya and pull the upset?

9 minutes ago, maligned said:

For people that were at New Castle: what do you make of Hall going into next weekend? Rolls through Viduya then gets smashed by Smiley. Does he have more than one strong performance in him next weekend? If he faces Mills first round, could he get amped up again like he was vs. Viduya and pull the upset?

Smiley has been so tough to score on since he was a freshman. His head and hands are very difficult for most opponents. Viduya wrestles a riskier, more offensive style. I'm very interested in how he looks next weekend

Yeah I think Smiley's style was perfect against Hall. That kid has been a monster in the tourney though. Pins Ragle in first period, beats Phillips then Evans, dominated Viduya before getting dominated by Smiley. He's funky and it appears very strong. Didn't seem like he had much in the tank in the final though. This kid is definitely on my watch list at state.

55 minutes ago, WOC said:

Will he be able to wrestle next week?

No way to know that at this point.  But they had his knee iced up and at least for the next 30 minutes I didn't see him walking without help.  I couldn't see how he hurt it, so it is even harder to guess how bad it is.  Though I do believe if he can't go, that would put Columbus East's Jerermy Clark in as the alternate, making it 9 qualifiers for the Olympians.

1 hour ago, maligned said:

Anything is possible and Hall was impressive. I felt his moves worked against Viduya, got a lead and kept rolling. They didn't work with Smiley who is always tough at NC and maybe more "fundamental". Can't wait for state and a rematch would be very interesting.

A few thoughts from Evansville SS today...Columbus East came ready for battle...as did Logan Boe so good for both of them.  Also, congrats to Carson Brewer for coming out and letting all know he’s a legit contender for a state title.  He looked quite impressive.  Congrats to the brothers Rooks and Conley for advancing to state as brothers...great that they get to share that experience.  Finally, there are going to be some stressed folks when draws come out tomorrow at 126 given what we saw today.  Next week should be fun!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.