Who Should Keep The Bus Running?

IndianaMudflap

9 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

You got a point there Region Rat.  I got an idea.   Travel and breathing some oil refinery air just gets us southerners late in the match.  How about a swap every other year.  So every odd year, lets host it at the best facility in the semi state, Mackey arena.  Ill go down the street, and ask my buddy Matt Painter to schedule game out of town that weekend.

We dont have Taco El Real, but we got TacoRico.  Triple XXX could have a special.  Ill talk to DT Kirby best sports bar to take care of you. Iwas talking to him today about East Chicago SS and he said he lived a few years as a kid in the sunny side of East Chicago.  He makes the best Italian Beef in the state.  

Anyway everybodys hub caps would be safer, and we got this factory in town that makes Corn Syrup.  It doesnt smell as good ole Oil refinery emissions, but you might like the smell.

Maybe with some home mat advantage, the Logansport might buy a few more tickets.

Hell Yeah!!!

1 hour ago, headlock83 said:

Purdue would never let us in, but Mackey would be the best place to hold the semi state.  Not a bad seat and tons of room.  East Chicago is too far from everyone involved.  They have a ton of room, but lets's face it, unless you hang on the railing of one small side of the gym, the view sux. Travel would suck for the region boys to come all the way to Lafayette though.  I do think that this amazing tournament needs a better venue.  Sorry ECC, you guys run a good tournament, I am just not a fan of the gym.  Just my opinion.  

Headlock,   You might be right about Purdue not letting a tournament in,  but has anybody ever really asked?  Maybe Mike Bobinski is different than Morgan Burke.   I say the pros out weight the cons.  I looked at the schedule and they don't even have a game this  weekend, so i'm sure they could work around the schedule with minimum problems.   Also,  there's recent precedence to this also.   The IHSAA just moved its softball semi-state for the Northern half to the new $13MM Purdue Softball facility.  If softball can have their Semi-state at Purdue, why not wrestling.  Purdue and IHSAA are ready to wheel and deal.  I disagree with that Headlock.  

Here's the Pros:

1. The Purdue wrestling team could piggy back on this also.   Just like tonight, they have a match their match in Mackey.   So are part of semi-state bonus have the dual meet on Friday night,  and all those wrestlers from the region could come down get a hotel room and watch some good college wrestling.    I think Ersland would love having tons of wrestlers from Northwest Indiana at his meet and on campus.  Also he would like to have some of the better guys on campus for recruiting.  The Rat wont even argue on this one.   He could come down with his f-250 and see some former Region Rats wrestle on the college stage.

2.  Purdue the University, will have kids on campus to recruit. Isn't that their goal to get kids their so they will attend their University.  Even is a soft visit like attending a sporting event, its still a opportunity for exposure to the school.

3.  Mackey arena is probably better than the Ford Center or the Fort's Coliseum.    I also went to the Big 10 championships, and it was great for wrestling. Is there any argument over ECC?

4. Purdue will make tons of  cash off of concessions. and don't tell me Purdue concessions wouldn't be better than ECC.  They might have to put a lock on the beer sales.

5.  Purdue makes a big chunk of money for renting out the facility.  Purdue likes money.

6.  Sorry Rat,  but the greater Lafayette area has more eating places even though we don't get authentic region food.

7. Air Quality

8.  Purdue has great broadcasting infrastructure,  and we still can get the same guys to broadcast this with better facilities.

Cons:

1.  So the region guys have to travel a little more.  Yea,  but they can stop at Fair Oaks on the way back and get a great milk shake.  But  the Logansport guys don't have to travel as far.  Its almost a push for the Penn Regional.  

2.  IHSAA has to pay higher rent for Mackey.   Maybe a show stopper as Joe mentioned in another post.   

Just to put into context.In the Scholar's travel he used to live in Missouri and Ohio.  The Missouri state tournament is on the Mizzou  Campus at the Hearnes Center.  Great facility for wrestling.  Also in my stint in Ohio,  I went to the Ohio state wrestling tournament at the Schottenstein Center on the OSU campus.  Its even a better facility for wrestling.   Just saying, these colleges were glad to use their facilities for this (see pros above  as to why).   On a flip note,  Im from Kansas and KU could care less about the Kansas wrestling tournament and would be appalled to have wrestling in Allen Field House even though the best place to see a college basketball game.   But again they never supported college wrestling anyway.   See the difference,  good college wrestling programs like having big high school wrestling tournaments on their campus.    

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Do any of the other IHSAA sports have their Semi-States hosted in venue similar to we do for wrestling?  I don't think this is true, but please correct me if I am wrong.  I would be interested to know how much money is made renting out the Ford Center and Coliseum.  I am betting that it is at best a push.  We are spoiled in wanting bigger/posh venues for our tournament locations prior to the State Finals.  I personally am OK with a High School hosting this event.  I think it is good for the location and a good source of revenue that can help out their athletic programs.  This leads me to another thing on my mind...

Are we trying to emulate our State tournament too much prior to the actual tournament?  The spotlights, face offs with a listing of accomplishments, arenas hosting the event, etc.  I mean I think it is great, but I guess I would want some of this to be reserved for that third weekend in February.  Discussion?

6 minutes ago, XCard said:

Do any of the other IHSAA sports have their Semi-States hosted in venue similar to we do for wrestling?  I don't think this is true, but please correct me if I am wrong.  I would be interested to know how much money is made renting out the Ford Center and Coliseum.  I am betting that it is at best a push.  We are spoiled in wanting bigger/posh venues for our tournament locations prior to the State Finals.  I personally am OK with a High School hosting this event.  I think it is good for the location and a good source of revenue that can help out their athletic programs.  This leads me to another thing on my mind...

Are we trying to emulate our State tournament too much prior to the actual tournament?  The spotlights, face offs with a listing of accomplishments, arenas hosting the event, etc.  I mean I think it is great, but I guess I would want some of this to be reserved for that third weekend in February.  Discussion?

Actually,  most other sports have semi-states are just two teams head to head.  So most high school facilities are adequate.     Wrestling semi-state involves  224 wrestlers but you also have 60 + teams involved in it, not just 2 or 4 teams, and with them bringing tons of fans, parents and coaches attend.   So that's why you need a bigger facility than most high school gyms, even though Indiana has a thing for gigantic high school gyms.

Swimming,   track and field  are the most similar in that sense.  Cross country and Golf is similar, but you have big outside courses to space out fans so not comparable.     Again Purdue has a great facility for swimming with lots of seating , and I think that's where Semi-State is.     Not sure where track SS is.

Also, see comment on SS softball. They just moved it to Purdue,   Its new and the best  facility in the state (IU could argue  as good).  Also, I think they moved the state finals from Ben Davis to Purdue also. 

1 hour ago, XCard said:

Ill play devils advocate to that one.     Keep in mind that Indiana has the lowest state qualifier ratio in the country,  meaning it has the smallest percentage of participants qualify for state.   So in affect, to many teams (not the perennial powerhouses like Merrillville), the semi-state tournament is equivalent to the state tournament in other states.   These wrestlers still have a shot at state,  but in so many cases they know the odds are stacked against them, and they're not likely to go.    So Semi-State is like their state tournament, their year end celebration, the big event they still succeeded in getting to.  So maybe it should be on a bigger stage, with all the drama and theatrics and at the large sports arena.   

The semi-state is just a big speed bump for programs like Crown Point, Merrillville and Portage or even Cathedral, Avon and  EMD.    But still its the final destination for most wresters.

1 hour ago, XCard said:

Not everyone gets to experience that the third week of February. Some kids regional championship will be their biggest accomplishment. It’s still a high school athletic event. 

3 hours ago, XCard said:

Do any of the other IHSAA sports have their Semi-States hosted in venue similar to we do for wrestling?

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the future you see a push towards neutral site Semi-State games in football.  

4 hours ago, XCard said:

Do any of the other IHSAA sports have their Semi-States hosted in venue similar to we do for wrestling?  I don't think this is true, but please correct me if I am wrong.  I would be interested to know how much money is made renting out the Ford Center and Coliseum.  I am betting that it is at best a push.  We are spoiled in wanting bigger/posh venues for our tournament locations prior to the State Finals. 

I haven't attended basketball semi-states in the past several years, but when I did they used to be held at venues like Hinkle Fieldhouse in Indy and Mackey Arena in West Lafayette, etc.  I don't know what they do anymore.  

Edited by piscis1956
Left out the word "at"

18 minutes ago, unknown wrestler said:

To rent Mackey for a day would be around $6,500 that is why Purdue is holding the beginners tourney  at West  Lafayette High Scool instead of Purdue itself.   I think the field house is around 6k also. 

I was right when I said Purdue likes money.     You get 3000 people paying gate =  $24K revenue.  Still making money with other costs.   The priceless part is you have the best semi state facility in the state. 

In a somewhat related topic.  Purdue is Wrestling Northwestern tonight,  but there not charging ironically. 

On 2/8/2018 at 6:34 PM, brickfor6 said:

Well unfortunately too many seniors to be on the bubble I think. @ontherise219 I’m gonna buy you shaved ice no matter what for publicizing our sport fantastically this year...Great Job man! Now scholar our rival continues at 120, but it’s all in good fun for us bud.

Harrison just being mentioned in the many threads is a positive. Of course Hobart would most likely win a dual but again just being in the conversation is a win. Logan’s regional will continue to send a few through but it’s not going away. Stick around Bricky. We’re not close but for the first time in awhile we can see you ahead and we’re gaining ground. Good luck and safety to everyone today.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.