Evansville North Took The Regional From Castle--How Did It Go?

hook and half

The lower-level of North’s gym is not of an optimal angle for viewing wrestling.  To worsen the matter, table help and folks milling around interrupt the view.  If you go the upper tier, there is still vision obstruction and you are VERY far away from the action.

Castle’s gym is far superior; there are no bad seats.

The table help struggled during the first round, but worked out the kinks as the day progressed.

I’m not sure what was up with the loooooong break at the end of the first round.  BTW- If you are at the end of your life, I suppose listening to U2 ballads and “Something in the Air” by Phil Collins is good to listen to while you are waiting for the morphine to kick in.  To keep the adrenaline pumping for a high stakes wrestling match—not so much.

Down a flight of stairs, across the gym, down another flight of stairs and a 2-minute walk and you are in the restroom!  Check that, you are not!  You are in a line to use a restroom that was overwhelmed, filthy and smelled as if Satan had died there.

I have been to Castle for many, many tournaments.  Never have I waited in line, nor were the facilities in disrepair.

The only saving grace was the North volunteers.  All of the folks I encountered were friendly and there to help. 

Weighing all factors, North is a pale comparison to a Castle-hosted event.  Castle gets an “A”; North gets a “D+”.

Thank you, IHSAA, for diminishing our regional.

Let's be honest for a second. You NEVER gave North a chance before it even started as apparent by your previous postings. Their concessions moved freely. The restrooms were far superior than that of Castles. They were clean and always had supplies much unlike Castles. I sat near the lower level and the view was great. Yes, there was a hiccup with getting the matches in order at first, but were quickly ironed out. If a little walking is against your likings, you must really hate having to walk a couple blocks to get into Ford Center. 

North-   A-

Hook- D+

I thought north did a good job for its first try at a wrestling tournament.    A couple hiccups did not diminish a very well run event. And it will only get better. I have no problem with the move from Castle. 

2 minutes ago, IU89 said:

I thought north did a good job for its first try at a wrestling tournament.    A couple hiccups did not diminish a very well run event. And it will only get better. I have no problem with the move from Castle. 

+1

2 minutes ago, WOC said:

So it appears that you guys would agree that hook is a "week" event critic....

Not sure, but I think one thing is apparent, he had this typed up a "week"  ago with a closed mind and just now posted it. 

2 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

Not sure, but I think one thing is apparent, he had this typed up a "week"  ago with a closed mind and just now posted it. 

Or many weaks ago

Edited by WOC

We were there from start to finish, North did a great job!!  We were in the lower section and could see all three mats perfectly.  Bathrooms were clean and Toilets were NOT overflowing (never happens at castle) Concessions were well staffed and well ran.  

I usually agree with you shook but not on this one.  To start North is 20 minutes closer to home for me.  That helps a lot.  I spent no time in the restroom nor at the concessions.  Seating and view seemed fine from the upper level to me.  I, for one, like the move 

1 hour ago, WrestleMan said:

I usually agree with you shook but not on this one.  To start North is 20 minutes closer to home for me.  That helps a lot.  I spent no time in the restroom nor at the concessions.  Seating and view seemed fine from the upper level to me.  I, for one, like the move 

The police were looking for the guy that went behind the bleachers instead of the restroom.

consider yourself turned in.

Edited by hook and half

9 hours ago, hook and half said:

The lower-level of North’s gym is not of an optimal angle for viewing wrestling.  To worsen the matter, table help and folks milling around interrupt the view.  If you go the upper tier, there is still vision obstruction and you are VERY far away from the action.

The table help struggled during the first round, but worked out the kinks as the day progressed.

I’m not sure what was up with the loooooong break at the end of the first round.  BTW- If you are at the end of your life, I suppose listening to U2 ballads and “Something in the Air” by Phil Collins is good to listen to while you are waiting for the morphine to kick in.  To keep the adrenaline pumping for a high stakes wrestling match—not so much.

Down a flight of stairs, across the gym, down another flight of stairs and a 2-minute walk and you are in the restroom!  Check that, you are not!  You are in a line to use a restroom that was overwhelmed, filthy and smelled as if Satan had died there.

I have been to Castle for many, many tournaments.  Never have I waited in line, nor were the facilities in disrepair.

The only saving grace was the North volunteers.  All of the folks I encountered were friendly and there to help. 

Weighing all factors, North is a pale comparison to a Castle-hosted event.  Castle gets an “A”; North gets a “D+”.

Calm down John 

Not bad for first time . Viewing was a little tough with the coaches standing and blocking mat 3.. Tough day for the officials , a lot of close calls , and the heavy weight match should have went to OT , not quite sure what was said . Good Luck to all the wrestlers next week .

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:31 PM, hook and half said:

I wonder if Castle would have received an "A" their first year doing it?

North did a fine job.  Running this Regional is no small task and North took on the challenge and all the bumps that come with it.   I think North will do well in the coming years...Until the IHSAA decides to move the regional to Evansville Bosse.  You know to improve the fan expirence from the seating and parking situations  ;-)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.