Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Wrestling Scholar

Because nobody reads the college board

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

On Purdue, I think they get in to top ten in the BIG tournament.

2 maybe 3 to NCAAs.  Good goals for the Boilers

I think they get 6 or 7 to NCAAs, especially with all of the qualifiers the Big Ten gets. Welch, Limmex, Morrisey, Lydy, Brunner, and Streck should all go with decent chances for Thornton, Parriott and Lyon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Thor said:

I think they get 6 or 7 to NCAAs, especially with all of the qualifiers the Big Ten gets. Welch, Limmex, Morrisey, Lydy, Brunner, and Streck should all go with decent chances for Thornton, Parriott and Lyon

That's a lot,  6 or 7.   Anyway 5 would is realistic once I look at it.

According to wrestlestat rankings , Welch, Thonton, Lydy, Bruner and Streck are in based on ranked above 33.   But so many are close, Big 10 performance along with quota distribution will be huge.    Probably,   the only 3 that would get saved by wildcard in case of bad BIG tournament would be Welch, Streck and maybe Lydy.

Here's rankings in wrestletstat:

125- Welch  #21

133 Thonton #28

141 Limex #48

149 Nash #249

157 Parriot #50

165 Morrisey #49

174 Lydy #26

184 Lyon #49

197 Bruner #32

285 Streck #23

 

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

That's a lot,  6 or 7.   Anyway 5 would is realistic once I look at it.

According to wrestlestat rankings , Welch, Thonton, Lydy, Bruner and Streck are in based on ranked above 33.   But so many are close, Big 10 performance along with quota distribution will be huge.    Probably,   the only 3 that would get saved by wildcard in case of bad BIG tournament would be Welch, Streck and maybe Lydy.

Here's rankings in wrestletstat:

125- Welch  #21

133 Thonton #28

141 Limex #48

149 Nash #249

157 Parriot #50

165 Morrisey #49

174 Lydy #26

184 Lyon #49

197 Bruner #32

285 Streck #23

 

I'm not a fan of wrestlestat, those rankings are way off what they are on any other ranking site, those 3 plus Limmex and possibly Brunner and Morrisey would be saved by the wild card. Lydy is definitely saved by the wildcard, he has a lot of good wins this year. Anyway this shakes out, I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Boilers do 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least Wrestlestat is based on a RPI/Geinius formula.   I was surprised to see Limmex ranked  high in Flo , but #48 on  wrestlestat RPI.    Limmex at 23-12,  doubt he gets a wildcard.  Good wins  are Chad Red and Moore from Virgina Tech, and some bad losses.

Morrisey is 20-15,  and is best win is Schiefer from Princeton or Fogart from ND State, and plenty of bad losses.  These guys are bubble guys for tournament.   No way he gets wildcard love.   

Bruner is 19-7,   He has about 5 wins against  bubble guys in the 20-30 range.     I could see him as a wildcard.   No really bad losses, closest is the Northwestern guy that cradled him with the quick pin.   He should be seeded within the quota at Big 10s.  I like his chances.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2018 at 9:39 AM, Wrestling Scholar said:

At least Wrestlestat is based on a RPI/Geinius formula.   I was surprised to see Limmex ranked  high in Flo , but #48 on  wrestlestat RPI.    Limmex at 23-12,  doubt he gets a wildcard.  Good wins  are Chad Red and Moore from Virgina Tech, and some bad losses.

Morrisey is 20-15,  and is best win is Schiefer from Princeton or Fogart from ND State, and plenty of bad losses.  These guys are bubble guys for tournament.   No way he gets wildcard love.   

Bruner is 19-7,   He has about 5 wins against  bubble guys in the 20-30 range.     I could see him as a wildcard.   No really bad losses, closest is the Northwestern guy that cradled him with the quick pin.   He should be seeded within the quota at Big 10s.  I like his chances.

 

If you want to use RPI formula go to the NCAA website and check out their RPI for the rankings.(IMO) Wrestlestat is way off on some of his rankings from matches I've watched and all that I follow in college. I watch mainly college now with very little high school mixed in for good measure. Good luck to all and hopefully 6-8 get thru to the NCAA's. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Purdue- In: 125-welch, 141-Limmex, 165-morrissey,174-Lydy, 285 streck.

             outside chance: 133-Thorton, 149-Nash,197- Brunner

 

So I could see Purdue getting at least 5 to Cleveland, 2018 NCAA championships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indiana- In: 141-Weaver

              Outside chance: 125-Oliver,165-Martin,174-Skatzka

 

I see Indiana getting 1 in to this years NCAA championships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Disco said:

Purdue- In: 125-welch, 141-Limmex, 165-morrissey,174-Lydy, 285 streck.

             outside chance: 133-Thorton, 149-Nash,197- Brunner

 

So I could see Purdue getting at least 5 to Cleveland, 2018 NCAA championships.

I think outside outside chance for Purdue is also Griffin Parriott. Picked a few nice wins this year and I swear he has scored first in every match he's wrestled. Would not be surprised to see him make a run, but it'll be tough. May get a boost if Nolf injury defaults out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

common opponents; RPI; qualifying event placement; and winning percentage.

Conference 125 133 141 149 157 165 174 184 197 285 Total
Atlantic Coast Conference 2 5 3 4 3 2 4 3 3 5 34
Big 12 Conference 7 5 3 5 3 6 5 4 4 3 45
Big Ten Conference 10 7 8 9 8 10 7 8 6 7 80
Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestlings Association 1 3 4 4 6 6 5 7 6 5 47
Eastern Wrestling League 2 1 4 1 2 2 1 2 1 2 18
Mid-American Conference 2 4 3 2 3 1 3 2 2 3 25
Pacific-12 Conference 4 2 1 1 3 1 2 1 4 3 22
Southern Conference 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 1 12
TOTAL QUALIFIERS 29 28 27 27 29 29 28 29 28

29

283

 

 

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Purdue wrestlers seeded and  quota range

125 #6 Welch with 10 spots-  Looks good/wildcard there just in case

133 # 8 Thornton with 7 spots-  Just needs an upset in Consolations

141 #5  Limmex with 9 spots- Looks good/ wild card if bad tourney

157  Parriott unseeded with 8 spots-   Just an upset away

165  #10 Morrisey with 10 spots  - bracket will need to hold to form.  Only four wildcards available.

174 #4 Lydy with 7 spots-   Hes going to Cleveland.

184   Lyon unseeded with 8 spots.   Capable if has a good day.

197 #6 Brunner with 6 spots- If bracket goes right hes ok.    Definitely on bubble for wildcard if bad day.

285   #7 Streck with 7 spots and possible wildcard, but just 4 wildcards available.  But he should get in.

 

 

 

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2018 at 5:30 AM, Disco said:

Indiana- In: 141-Weaver

              Outside chance: 125-Oliver,165-Martin,174-Skatzka

 

I see Indiana getting 1 in to this years NCAA championships.

Update: Oliver grabbed the 10th and final auto-qualifier. And Martin is in. Skatzka should get an at large bid. So 3 for IU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2018 at 5:19 AM, Disco said:

Purdue- In: 125-welch, 141-Limmex, 165-morrissey,174-Lydy, 285 streck.

             outside chance: 133-Thorton, 149-Nash,197- Brunner

 

So I could see Purdue getting at least 5 to Cleveland, 2018 NCAA championships.

5 in for Boilers, Welch, limmex,lydy, Brunner,Streck. With a very good possibility, with at large bids, of getting Morrissey in. Also Thornton has a chance at an, at large bid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Disco said:

5 in for Boilers, Welch, limmex,lydy, Brunner,Streck. With a very good possibility, with at large bids, of getting Morrissey in. Also Thornton has a chance at an, at large bid. 

Flo had an article today about who got their auto qualification stolen and who would be looking at a wild card and they had Thornton and Morrisey as likely getting a wild card. IU has a shot with Skatzka and Cole Weaver. A few former Indiana boys on that list also with Nathan Boston and Zach Davis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2018 at 7:45 AM, Thor said:

I think they get 6 or 7 to NCAAs, especially with all of the qualifiers the Big Ten gets. Welch, Limmex, Morrisey, Lydy, Brunner, and Streck should all go with decent chances for Thornton, Parriott and Lyon

Thornton and Morrisey get at large bids. Damn I'm good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IUs Cole Weaver and Devin Skatzka also get an auto bid. Indiana guys Zach Davis, Mitch Sliga, and Drew Hildebrandt miss the cut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now these guys have to produce. This is what separates good programs from mediocre ones. Recruits look at the results in the big dance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.