“Automatic” State Champs

purdue02

The Chad Red’s, Lee’s, Drew Hughes’s, and etc. of the world have spoiled us in recent memory and this year I don’t see as many “automatic” state champs as the past few 

I’ve got 2 right now with Lee and Parris and they’re both seniors!

Have we been spoiled or am I missing some studs this year or up and coming ones??

27 minutes ago, purdue02 said:

Have we been spoiled or am I missing some studs this year or up and coming ones??

I would agree that, we have been a little spoiled. Especially, since the early 2000's when you had Alex Tsirtsis, Angel Escobedo and Andre Hernandez all on the same team and pretty much "locks" to win.

59 minutes ago, purdue02 said:

The Chad Red’s, Lee’s, Drew Hughes’s, and etc. of the world have spoiled us in recent memory and this year I don’t see as many “automatic” state champs as the past few 

I’ve got 2 right now with Lee and Parris and they’re both seniors!

This is great. Great minds think alike. Just the other day in the "before sectional predictions" I wrote this. Im glad to see im not thinking this all by myself lol..

Their has been a whole lot of predictable weight classes in the past decade or so. It's pretty easy to do when you have All Time greats like the Tsirtsis and Lee brothers and then you have Angel Escobedo,Chad Red, Steven Micic, Drew Hughes, Shawn Streck, Wesley Bernard,Gelen Robinson,Tommy Forte,Blake Rypel,Brock Hudkins and Andrew Davison. And now we have Mason Parris and BraytonLee. So it didn't take much knowledge of the sport to pick By of these guys as the winner.I don't believe it will ever be as many "locks" as their has been since Alex Tsirtsis came through.Not only did everyone in Indiana know he was gonna win it all no matter what team they were from, NOONE even thought he'd be scored on so any time an opponent would even touch a leg or literally show any fight whatsoever the whole arena would erupt. I don't think we will see many more years like that or some like the ones of these other guys either. So take your 2 "locks" this year and appreciate them because I don't think we will see anywhere even close to the amount we've seen over the past 10-12 years. 

3 minutes ago, Wrestling4EVER said:

This is great. Great minds think alike. Just the other day in the "before sectional predictions" I wrote this. Im glad to see im not thinking this all by myself lol..

Their has been a whole lot of predictable weight classes in the past decade or so. It's pretty easy to do when you have All Time greats like the Tsirtsis and Lee brothers and then you have Angel Escobedo,Chad Red, Steven Micic, Drew Hughes, Shawn Streck, Wesley Bernard,Gelen Robinson,Tommy Forte,Blake Rypel,Brock Hudkins and Andrew Davison. And now we have Mason Parris and BraytonLee. So it didn't take much knowledge of the sport to pick By of these guys as the winner.I don't believe it will ever be as many "locks" as their has been since Alex Tsirtsis came through.Not only did everyone in Indiana know he was gonna win it all no matter what team they were from, NOONE even thought he'd be scored on so any time an opponent would even touch a leg or literally show any fight whatsoever the whole arena would erupt. I don't think we will see many more years like that or some like the ones of these other guys either. So take your 2 "locks" this year and appreciate them because I don't think we will see anywhere even close to the amount we've seen over the past 10-12 years. 

That is a very sad statement.......and I hope you are very wrong! I can think of a few up and comers that could turn into the next great things. This is similar to the Jordon/James comparisons, everyone thinks their generation it the best. I can't believe I just made a basketball comparison to wrestling!

43 minutes ago, warsawwrestling said:

That is a very sad statement.......and I hope you are very wrong! I can think of a few up and comers that could turn into the next great things. This is similar to the Jordon/James comparisons, everyone thinks their generation it the best. I can't believe I just made a basketball comparison to wrestling!

Actually I think I see it as more of a compliment other than a bad thing.I believe Indiana is starting to have way more depth and talent than ever. Just because their isn't any "locks" doesn't mean their still isn't alot of nationally ranked wrestlers. Just take for instance when Chad Red and Nick Lee was in the same weight class a few years back their was no lock that year at that class. Look at this year at 126 If a few of them guys like Garcia or Rooks, were there within the past few years then they could have been a lock. But this year their is a legitimate chance either Garcia or Rooks won't even make it to the Bank because of the odds of them meeting each other or Mills/Willis/Egli in the Ticket round. I see a whole lot more Indiana guys being top notch and nationally ranked then their has been. So I believe as a whole the talent will be better. It's hard to explain exactly what I mean by this message board your i think I could explain it pretty easy in person. But the best way I can explain it is instead of having 1 wrestler ranked nationally in 3-4 different weight classes and making them pretty much a "lock" . I believe their will be 6-8 guys ranked nationally with a few if them being in the same weight classes to now not make them a "lock" because the other stud may be able to beat him. But like I said I definitely did not mean it as a bad thing about the future talent of Indiana wrestling. It was a huge compliment. 

Here were my picks before sectionals and my rankings of those picks based on my confidence level. 

Locks:
1.    TIE – Parris (220) & Lee (152)

Semi-locks:
3.    Davison (195)
4.    Moran (106)
5.    Walton (182)
6.    Curtis (113)

The favorites:
7.    Rumph (145)
8.    Rooks (132)

Not quite as confident:
9.    Mappes (160) – could be a fun one with Lemley
10.  Watts (120) – many great wrestlers with not much separation
11.   Pokorney (285) – McWilliams looms large
12.   Warren (170) – Warren, Fattore, Brewer (2 of 3 will meet in the semis) 
13.   Mulkey (138) – another fun weight class

Unbelievable depth
14.   Rooks (126) – how many guys could realistically win this weight class? 6? More? The quarterfinals on Saturday morning of state will have state finals level matches. 

Edited by BClark

8 hours ago, Wrestling4EVER said:

We as a state of indiana got a few coming up..... 

56 minutes ago, Cosgrove said:

We as a state of indiana got a few coming up..... 

There are so many young studs coming up that this discussion will be re-visited in the next few years.  I am not putting their names down now, but if you look at @Sig40 list of young talent MS wrestlers you can figure several of them out.  The top guys are really the top guys for sure. 

This issue being discussed is a huge testament to the training and academies around the state for sure (Contenders, Red Cobra, MCWC, RWA, Bulldog Elite, IN Pride, CIA).  These places have taken IN wrestling to a new level and depth vs. a few guys being standout studs.  Keep up the good work coaches and eventually ISWA Team IN teams will be competing for titles at all levels !!!!

9 hours ago, Wrestling4EVER said:

Actually I think I see it as more of a compliment other than a bad thing.I believe Indiana is starting to have way more depth and talent than ever. Just because their isn't any "locks" doesn't mean their still isn't alot of nationally ranked wrestlers.

This is the key to becoming more dominant.  We'd be amazing if there was NEVER a "lock" as long as that was because the depth was so strong.  Look at the NCAA's.  How many "locks" do you see there this year?  How many weight classes have crazy depth where just to be an AA will be tough as can be?

15 hours ago, BClark said:

Here were my picks before sectionals and my rankings of those picks based on my confidence level. 

Locks:
1.    TIE – Parris (220) & Lee (152)

Semi-locks:
3.    Davison (195)
4.    Moran (106)
5.    Walton (182)
6.    Curtis (113)

The favorites:
7.    Rumph (145)
8.    Rooks (132)

Not quite as confident:
9.    Mappes (160) – could be a fun one with Lemley
10.  Watts (120) – many great wrestlers with not much separation
11.   Pokorney (285) – McWilliams looms large
12.   Warren (170) – Warren, Fattore, Brewer (2 of 3 will meet in the semis) 
13.   Mulkey (138) – another fun weight class

Unbelievable depth
14.   Rooks (126) – how many guys could realistically win this weight class? 6? More? The quarterfinals on Saturday morning of state will have state finals level matches. 

Since we are talking future locks as well, I believe that Walton (182) with have his hands full with Allred (current #3). He is a Soph who as a freshmen last year walked into the ticket round at 170 at around 45-0 and lost 7-6.  He was injured to start the year this year from football , but has since not been challenged, and  tech-falled #8  20-2. Also was a Fargo all American this past summer. I haven’t seen Walton wrestle, so I’m not making a prediction, but if Allred were to beat him this year you could be looking at a future lock for the next 2 Years. 

6 hours ago, wchew20 said:

Since we are talking future locks as well, I believe that Walton (182) with have his hands full with Allred (current #3). He is a Soph who as a freshmen last year walked into the ticket round at 170 at around 45-0 and lost 7-6.  He was injured to start the year this year from football , but has since not been challenged, and  tech-falled #8  20-2. Also was a Fargo all American this past summer. I haven’t seen Walton wrestle, so I’m not making a prediction, but if Allred were to beat him this year you could be looking at a future lock for the next 2 Years. 

I thought the same thing...not as phenomenal as Parris, but a young kid under the radar at a small school. As a freshman at a big-guy weight, was arguably the 3rd or 4th best guy last year  based on the high placers he beat--just lost his first match of the year at exactly the wrong time in the semi-state quarters. He will absolutely be a force the next two years and could be on that "lock" quality trajectory with how hard people are saying he works.

On 1/30/2018 at 11:17 PM, warsawwrestling said:

In my opinion, Jesse Mendez will be a lock 3 out of 4 years if not all 4, but obviously Freshman year can have its obstacles (what weight he goes, experience, etc.).  Don't get me wrong he has the experience on the national scene and has beaten many high school kids.  He is very humble, has a gas tank that doesn't seem to go to E, and I am sure has every intention of setting a goal of being a 4 timer.  Put all that together with the coaches and partners he is going to have at CP and that gives you the ingredients to make a recipe for a large pot of whoop ass chili.  I am looking forward to seeing him the next 4 years.  #Regionstrong

On 1/31/2018 at 7:40 AM, BClark said:

Unbelievable depth

The worst part is that a few of these guys could potentially meet Friday Night or Ticket Round at SS, with Garcia, Rooks, Mills, Willis, Egli, and Denny all coming out of Evansville

On 1/31/2018 at 12:22 AM, Wrestling4EVER said:

Actually I think I see it as more of a compliment other than a bad thing.I believe Indiana is starting to have way more depth and talent than ever.

I agree with this thought, or at least I hope this to be the case.

Besides Lee (152) & Parris (220),

I see a couple semi-locks: Walton (182), Davison (195)

& a strong favorite in Curtis (113)

Edited by SIACfan

2 hours ago, SIACfan said:

I agree with this thought, or at least I hope this to be the case.

Besides Lee (152) & Parris (220),

I see a couple semi-locks: Walton (182), Davison (195)

& a strong favorite in Curtis (113)

I would put Davison in the 3/4 lock. If there is one of those lol for Walton, I do see him winning, but he will have his hands full just because imo I think the top 7 are all legit and we all know crazy things can happen at Bankers. 

4 hours ago, maligned said:

I thought the same thing...not as phenomenal as Parris, but a young kid under the radar at a small school. As a freshman at a big-guy weight, was arguably the 3rd or 4th best guy last year  based on the high placers he beat--just lost his first match of the year at exactly the wrong time in the semi-state quarters. He will absolutely be a force the next two years and could be on that "lock" quality trajectory with how hard people are saying he works.

some bias on my end but with Silas you have to pack a lunch, bring a friend and cancel your afternoon plans to keep up with him. Have yet to meet another kid as smart, mature, humble, thoughtful and also a tremendous wrestler like Silas. I will put my money where my mouth is and pencil him as 2x automatic champ, won't say this year just cause. (don't hate on me, just showin love and giving my opinion) 

12 minutes ago, Websterk149 said:

some bias on my end but with Silas you have to pack a lunch, bring a friend and cancel your afternoon plans to keep up with him. Have yet to meet another kid as smart, mature, humble, thoughtful and also a tremendous wrestler like Silas. I will put my money where my mouth is and pencil him as 2x automatic champ, won't say this year just cause. (don't hate on me, just showin love and giving my opinion) 

Silas is why I only have Walton as a Semi-Lock.

5 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

Silas is why I only have Walton as a Semi-Lock.

Respect that, I haven't seen a couple of the other kids wrestle yet so I don't know about them except that they are all right there even with each other I would think. IF Silas and Walton made it to face each other in the finals, talk about fireworks. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.