Bow and Arrow

WadeDuPont

Question

3 answers to this question

Yes, the bow and arrow is illegal to turn your opponent regardless of the angle you try to turn at from the spine.  Once you step across the body with the ankle it is illegal by application.

If you have your opponent turned and on his back, you may reach back for the ankle and hold it.

Sorry, but I don't have my rule book with me to point to the rule and picture.  

Bart Welch, IHSAA Official

2018-19 NFHS Wrestling Rules, page 77, picture 83 (caption)...
7-1-5q The back bow is illegal as illustrated by application

A clarification regarding the back bow
If Nearfall criteria has yet to be met and the offensive wrestler grabs the leg and uses it to turn or attempt to turn his opponent it is to be immediately called as illegal and the match is to be stopped and one point is to be awarded to the defensive wrestler. If, on the other hand, the offensive man simply grabs the ankle but does not exert any pressure it should be stopped as potentially dangerous and you do not give him the opportunity to make it illegal.

Once near fall criteria has been earned and the defensive man is on his back then the offensive wrestler may post the ankle as long as he does not exert any pressure or pull it towards the head. This would be considered potentially dangerous, however, it is up to the official's discretion as to whether or not he actually stops it or simply "watches" it, possibly even verbally cautioning the offensive wrestler with something along the lines of "keep it legal".

As with all legal holds and/or potentially dangerous holds they can become illegal at any time. For instance, while in a pinning position if the offensive wrestler not only posts the leg but grabs it and pulls it forward then it is obviously illegal.

On 1/30/2018 at 1:32 PM, scoob134 said:

Yes, the bow and arrow is illegal to turn your opponent regardless of the angle you try to turn at from the spine.  Once you step across the body with the ankle it is illegal by application.

If you have your opponent turned and on his back, you may reach back for the ankle and hold it.

Sorry, but I don't have my rule book with me to point to the rule and picture.  

Bart Welch, IHSAA Official

Correction...

After discussing this with others, even after you have turned your opponent this would be illegal if you reached back for the ankle and bowed it.

This is something some of us used to allow but will no longer allow by application.