Best and Worst Sectionals

navy80

3 minutes ago, takemtothemat said:

Maybe he's just trying to get the state to look at the mis-alignment of sectionals ths year. And don't take everything so serious guys.

Phil Cook

That's cool Phil.  "Look how crappy the kids are in this sectional"..maybe that would be a better lead for which sectional is the worst.  It's not a matter of taking things serious, it's just a matter of tact.  Look it up.  

15 minutes ago, throw45 said:

That's cool Phil.  "Look how crappy the kids are in this sectional"..maybe that would be a better lead for which sectional is the worst.  It's not a matter of taking things serious, it's just a matter of tact.  Look it up.  

Or they could use it as motivation to not be a bad sectional. Im not sure they're bad but I'm sure there are better. 

13 minutes ago, asbury4040 said:

Or they could use it as motivation to not be a bad sectional. Im not sure they're bad but I'm sure there are better. 

How do you get motivated to not be a bad sectional? You can work to be a good wrestler, but that won't change who your competition is. And, these things are ever-changing. A bad team today might be a great team in a few years. Look at Shenandoah last year - they proved that.

13 minutes ago, Fabio Jr. said:

When talking about sports there is a chain from good to bad some one has to be bad it's the way the world works

I just had a flashback to a famous poster, last season maybe?, who struggled with punctuation.

I get what you're saying, but we're not talking about the NFL or the NBA here.  I just find it typical of society today, that there is absolutely no filter...ever.  If my kid was talking to a reporter after winning the sectional, and he said "Yeah, I breezed through the sectional today, my opponents were really bad, maybe some of the worst guys in the state,"  I'd be embarrassed. 

Edited by throw45

If the IHSAA was worried about  parity in sectionals (which they aren't),   they could achieve the parity by balancing out each sectional with similar sized schools.   I mean an equal number of big, small and medium sized schools. IHSAA goal is proximity more than parity.   The  weaker sectionals are mostly in less populated areas with smaller schools.   Smaller schools just don't have the volume of kids to be as deep.  The stronger sectionals are suburban ones with clusters of big schools like Avon and Mooresville.     I agree the wording is not good when you say the worst and best sectional.  Some are obviously stronger than others. 

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

14 minutes ago, throw45 said:

I just had a flashback to a famous poster, last season maybe?, who struggled with punctuation.

I get what you're saying, but we're not talking about the NFL or the NBA here.  I just find it typical of society today, that there is absolutely no filter...ever.  If my kid was talking to a reporter after winning the sectional, and he said "Yeah, I breezed through the sectional today, my opponents were really bad, maybe some of the worst guys in the state,"  I'd be embarrassed. 

Doesn't erase the fact that one sectional is the best and one is the worst. 

7 minutes ago, Cosgrove said:

Stop being so soft..... Hahaha come on now. This is wrestling not everyone wins not every gets a trophy. 

The plaque/trophy the winner is of the Jeffersonville sectional is a lot better than the plaque the second place team at the  Avon sectional doesn't get.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

23 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

If the IHSAA was worried about  parity in sectionals (which they aren't),   they could achieve the parity by balancing out each sectional with similar sized schools.   I mean an equal number of big, small and medium sized schools. IHSAA goal is proximity more than parity.   The  weaker sectionals are mostly in less populated areas with smaller schools.   Smaller schools just don't have the volume of kids to be as deep.  The stronger sectionals are suburban ones with clusters of big schools like Avon and Mooresville.     I agree the wording is not good when you say the worst and best sectional.  Some are obviously stronger than others. 

This is recognizing the need for just classing it.

1 hour ago, throw45 said:

You missed my point in my response.

Phil Cook

5 minutes ago, takemtothemat said:

You missed my point in my response.

Phil Cook

I'm not getting into an argument with you, but no I didn't miss your point.  I just don't think it matters whether the implication is about sectional misalignment or not.

30 minutes ago, bwoodjc89 said:

This is recognizing the need for just classing it.

Exactly,   I don't think some people see the irony of this comparison.   There's this criticism of these sectionals with a large majority of small schools and a corresponding pride of being superior.  But its really just  a negative byproduct of a single class system where big schools routinely beat up on smaller schools.    And we complain, why cant those small guys just try harder and be better.      Please spare me from bringing up the wrestling version of Hickory High School in Indiana.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.