Illegal equipment

lewdwar

We have 2 kids that have worn them all year with no question. They are little guys so the knee sleeve will be longer on them then lets say a heavier weight wrestler. I'm not sure if these pads come in specific sizes or if they are one size fits all. If the later is the case, that means certain kids can't wear knee or arm sleeves because they are of shorter stature. So does that mean referees will now bring tape measures to weigh ins to make sure said knee sleeve is exactly 3-4" above/below the knee? Again, a stupid rule being enforced for no reason at all at this point in the season.

44 minutes ago, cbarnett said:

I believe that it has been a rule all along, however, these pads were not as prevalent in the past. The first ones that I actually saw all year were at the Lake County tournament on January 6. The ones being worn by the Merrillville wrestlers were deemed legal after some review, as they were tight fitting and only extended above/below the knee approximately 3"-4". Another school had one that extended under the singlet at the top, and below the sock on the bottom, and was thus determined illegal. I believe that it was subsequently altered to comply. 

I agree Coach Swain..... the communication amongst the officials needs to be more consistent :)

Chuck Barnett

IHSAA Interpreter

I am neither for, nor against this rule.  However, the rule seems to be unclear.  Will the communication to coaches be as detailed as to measurements etc... (as you indicate above)?  I think a kid should know before he walks on the mat that he can use the equipment he's wearing.

Also, I do think that making this ruling late in the season is poor.  If kids have been practicing and competing in one type of equipment all season only to have to change it now.

9 minutes ago, MOWrestler said:

I am neither for, nor against this rule.  However, the rule seems to be unclear.  Will the communication to coaches be as detailed as to measurements etc... (as you indicate above)?  I think a kid should know before he walks on the mat that he can use the equipment he's wearing.

Also, I do think that making this ruling late in the season is poor.  If kids have been practicing and competing in one type of equipment all season only to have to change it now.

And.... new pads are not cheap. For many that’s not a big deal... but for others it’s a huge deal. Just kinda hard to tell parents on a budget to get new equipment to maybe wrestle one day. 

I think I can help clarify here. I just got off the phone with the ishaa. I was told that this ruling is not coming from them. The rules are as they have been and you CANNOT wear a FULL compression sleeve going from ankle to singlet or full compression pants. However, you can wear knee sleeves. I called for clarification because within these posts we were told we could wear sleeves 3-4 inches above\below the knee which happens to be the white sleeve in the pics which is being presented to us as illegal on this forum. The black sleeve pictured does indeed go to the ankle and above the thigh and therefore I assume illegal. I was told by the ishaa not to listen to anyone about this topic on this forum. Those of you worried about covering knee braces you should be good with a legal sleeve. If you have questions or concerns I would go straight to the source, and call the ishaa

Edited by HeavyTruth

I have always enforced this the last two years when they have started wearing them, we pass the word to all of the officials, show them pictures and have presented this at rules meetings with coaches and officials present. This is considered special equipment and must be presented at weigh in to be checked for legality. Not when reporting to the mat just prior to wrestling.

Edited by Official38

25 minutes ago, HeavyTruth said:

I think I can help clarify here. I just got of the phone with the ishaa. I was told that this ruling is not coming from them. The rules are as they have been and you CANNOT wear a FULL compression sleeve going from ankle to singlet or full compression pants. However, you can wear knee sleeves. I called for clarification because within these posts we were told we could wear sleeves 3-4 inches above\below the knee which happens to be the white sleeve in the pics which is being presented to us as illegal on this forum. The black sleeve pictured does indeed go to the ankle and above the thigh and therefore I assume illegal.

***I was told by the ishaa not to listen to anyone about this topic on this forum.*** 

Those of you worried about covering knee braces you should be good with a legal sleeve. If you have questions or concerns I would go straight to the source, and call the ishaa

Sorry, I’m going to listen IHSAA Officials on this site/forum before I listen random poster on this subject . Obviously you only heard what you wanna hear on the phone. 

Its pretty clear they have banned the Knee Sleeve, Elbow Sleeve. The Officials on this site wouldn’t mislead on a Rule. 

5 minutes ago, TeamGarcia said:

Sorry, I’m going to listen IHSAA Officials on this site/forum before I listen random poster on this subject . Obviously you only heard what you wanna hear on the phone. 

Its pretty clear they have banned the Knee Sleeve, Elbow Sleeve. The Officials on this site wouldn’t mislead on a Rule. 

And you absolutely should. I however, am going to listen to the personal conversation I had with the assistant commissioner of boys wrestling for ishaa executive staff. Again, if you have questions, concerns, or need clarification I would encourage you to contact the ishaa. They were very helpful and easy to talk to. 

The white sleeve (which also comes in black) that was presented as illegal IS legal..how is that not misleading?

40 minutes ago, TeamGarcia said:

Indeed. I think you take take the top officials in the state at their word. They know a little bit... As in they are rules interpreters for the state and have direct access to federation interpreters. 

58 minutes ago, HeavyTruth said:

The white sleeve (which also comes in black) that was presented as illegal IS legal..how is that not misleading?

Just from a personal conversation with a IHSAA State Official, I’d probably wouldn’t allow any kid to wear a Sleeve of any sort (black, yellow, green, white, blue, purple ect... ect... ect) or that even looks like a Sleeve no matter the size for these next 4 weekends. 

Pretty black & white to me .... Don’t wear them . 

No need for me to waste my time to contact anybody from IHSAA. I got all info I need from Officials on this site and elsewhere around the State. 

10 minutes ago, TeamGarcia said:

Just from a personal conversation with a IHSAA State Official, I’d probably wouldn’t allow any kid to wear a Sleeve of any sort (black, yellow, green, white, blue, purple ect... ect... ect) or that even looks like a Sleeve no matter the size for these next 4 weekends. 

Pretty black & white to me .... Don’t wear them . 

No need for me to waste my time to contact anybody from IHSAA. I got all info I need from Officials on this site and elsewhere around the State. 

All I can say is my son is and will continue to wear them to cover his brace for the other kids safety. The Ishaa has pictures of my son in and wrestling in the very “sleeves” in question.  I have also been given instruction on how to handle the situation if a ref makes the decision to not allow them and how to rectify that situation so that they will be able to. I’m just trying to help clarify for those of you that have kids or themselves that actually NEED to wear this

49 minutes ago, HeavyTruth said:

All I can say is my son is and will continue to wear them to cover his brace for the other kids safety. The Ishaa has pictures of my son in and wrestling in the very “sleeves” in question.  I have also been given instruction on how to handle the situation if a ref makes the decision to not allow them and how to rectify that situation so that they will be able to. I’m just trying to help clarify for those of you that have kids or themselves that actually NEED to wear this

Good luck.... :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, swain358 said:

Referees are going to have to bring the tape measure to weigh ins. That is about 4.5 inches below the knee cap so no its illegal haha.. 

I’m hearing after the Officials meeting last night that you can wear them but ..... they have to be folded up on both ends to match a traditional knee pad size . 

What happens “if” the sleeve becames unfolded during the match ? Pretty sure they will . Maybe they give a point to another wrestler for rule infraction ?  

I was told “don’t let us make that call in that situation” . 

I am extremely confused on why knee sleeves/leg sleeves would be illegal. They stay in place and are form fit the leg better than the traditional knee pads which have a tendency to move out of place. These sleeves are the closest resemblance of tights, which do not cause a hazard of getting a finger caught in between them so I feel the safety factor can pretty much be thrown out the window. The only logical explanation I can think of is that this rule must be uniform based, and right now the uniform situation in wrestling is quite askew. I'd rather see these leg sleeves than the loose fitting fight shorts. Pictures below shoe Bryce Meredith with leg sleeve and knee sleeve. David Carr with original white knee sleeve in discussion. Kyle Snyder & Brayton Lee with traditional knee pad that has fallen below their knee. This is just my opinion but I see nothing wrong with the kids wearing a leg sleeve, I would actually promote a leg sleeve over the traditional knee pad. 

Image result for bryce meredithImage result for david carr wrestling

Image result for wrestling kyle snyder

Image result for brayton lee wrestling

1 hour ago, TeamGarcia said:

I’m hearing after the Officials meeting last night that you can wear them but ..... they have to be folded up on both ends to match a traditional knee pad size . 

What happens “if” the sleeve becames unfolded during the match ? Pretty sure they will . Maybe they give a point to another wrestler for rule infraction ?  

What happens if the traditional knee pad slides down below the knee ? Is it okay because it's a traditional knee pad or does the same infraction that would be giving to the leg sleeve be enforced ? I feel as though this would be a good question to ask, so that the rule is not misinterpreted to some. 

On 1/21/2018 at 3:43 PM, brodygrant said:

Why make this call now and not before?  I’ve never seen an issue with any of the knee/elbow pads during a match and feel this decision hurts some kids that utilize these due to some injuries they may have.

It's stylish, these sleeves they are talking about have ZERO support for injuries.

Mom told me that.

2 hours ago, TeamGarcia said:

Better get the tape out and tape the folds.

6 minutes ago, Numchuck Skills said:

It's stylish, these sleeves they are talking about have ZERO support for injuries.

Mom told me that.

https://docmillersports.com/blogs/articles/calf-compression-sleeves-for-athletes

I hope Mom is a doctor.

That was the first article I opened on google, but I bet there are plenty more out there stating similar things about compression sleeves

8 minutes ago, Numchuck Skills said:

Mom told me that.

I think its more of a stylish type thing in my opinion. NFHS does not want wrestlers wearing non traditional wrestling equipment which is stupid. Looks like wrestlers have found a better alternative to the traditional knee pad but it's not fashionably acceptable to the NFHS. I can not think of any functional reason or competitive edge reason that this knee sleeve should be illegal. Not one. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.