Penn wrestling club youth meet

Galagore

Want to give big props to the Penn wrestling club for their Mat Time youth wrestling meet. Way more tournaments should be run like this. Meet started a little late and we were still done by 12:30 and all of our wrestlers got at least 6 matches. One got 12. The athletes helping did a great job of being patient with all of us new to the concept. Job well done PWC we will be back next year. Really hope more people pick up on this idea. 

All wrestlers in round robin groups. All matches are scored but score is not kept. Any time you are not wrestling you are free to find someone to match up with on one of the mats they have designated for these ‘on the fly’ matches. Everyone wrestles all three periods. If someone gets caught on back and can’t get up wrestlers return to feet and start over. Really encourages aggressive wrestling and trying new moves. 

It was nice how quick it went and how many matches kids got. But my kid did not like the whole not keeping score thing at all. There are a TON of things to improve on if you're going to do this... Some refs didn't know they were supposed to be giving takedown points etc... Also the whole everyone gets a medal thing I don't agree with... passing out 1st place medals just because you participated. It was nice to see the kids get a lot more mat time than normal but if all tournaments went this route we will be heading to michigan  

Chesterton was terrible. Had kids there for over 8 hours and only wrestle twice. So can't compare this penn tournament to the chesterton tournament lol (Also chesterton had like 540 kids penn had 210 a lot easier to run with that many less kids). Huntington was a really good tournament today bracket format like normal and ive had text from parents that there kid wrestled 5 times and is already done. Im just mentioning this because I heard quite a few parents today saying how happy they were to get out of there at 12:30 today don't get me wrong I was as well but getting out of there at 2-3 isn't bad either I just think Chesterton left a bad taste in some peoples mouth lol. Not all bracket tournaments take 12 hours lol

4 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Depending upon the level of the kid each event type has a good purpose. For beginners and novice wrestlers the Penn event seems like the perfect event. Kids that need a step up in competition would be better suited for another event.

I agree but need a little more organization. The kids that are beginners haven't been to many tournaments if any at all. And them not having a coach or not having any clue when there kid is about to wrestle kind of sucks lol. Kids that are 5 years old have tons of family coming and they are all completely lost. Again I like the concept of it and it can be very beneficial to some kids but you have to work out some things definitely. And have to have you're refs and table help on the same page as you. There was 1 big running clock. They did three 1 minute periods. Well I can't tell you how many times today kids weren't ready or we were looking for kids and the match had already started. Can't have 1 big clock for every mat and expect every mat to start at the same time. No blood time. No injury time. There were some good things but man what a mess. 

High school help at our mat kept things running pretty smoothly. I think once they take the notes from this year and apply them next year this will be a great event. Coach Harper and company were busy at the end picking everyone’s brains about ways to make the thing better. 

I love the thought of bracketing the youth tournaments for beginners. No weight classes although maybe you preregistration with estimated weight - show up, weigh everyone in and put in groups of 4 or 6. Wrestle your minipool then if you like you can cross bracket the 1’s / 2’s etc. get everyone 5 or the matches and keep things moving

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.