Evansville North Regional

SouthSideJimmy

9 minutes ago, SouthSideJimmy said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see North look for a way to opt out of hosting this even after a year or two.   It is a tremendous amount of work and the dedication to put this type of event. 

Regardless of what we want or don't want, we are stuck with it

As a life long Castle Faithful, I wish North all the luck in the world in hosting the Regional.   

It' is a ton of hard work and thankless work, but rewarding in its own ways.   I will gladly give North a chance and I understand it' their frist cack at this so it will have bumps, but personally I go to see the wrestling and as long as there are mats and scoreboards I say let' wrestle! 

16 minutes ago, SouthSideJimmy said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see North look for a way to opt out of hosting this even after a year or two.   It is a tremendous amount of work and the dedication to put this type of event. 

Regardless of what we want or don't want, we are stuck with it

I hope it runs smooth as silk.

Plus, a lot closer for us. 

I enjoyed the tradition of the past 40 years at Castle. And...I don't mind change, but I've always been cautious of some of the IHSAAs decisions regarding our great sport.

I don't mind the change one bit. I've coached in 3 sectionals (southridge, central, and now castle) and this will make 4 regionals (jeffersonville, Bloomington south, castle, and now North)

every venue is different and has their pros and cons.

the reason castle runs so smoothly is there is a great support system and they've had 40 years to get it right. We can't judge north yet because it hasn't happened yet.

personally I've felt Bloomington south and jeffersonville run their regionals just as smooth if not smoother than castle. They can run 4 mats and everything is top notch.

that being said, if we as coaches and fans, the main reason we go is for the wrestling, not the venue. The wrestling will be the same at north as it was at castle because....well it's the same wrestlers, just different gym

5 hours ago, BlueBolt said:

As a life long Castle Faithful, I wish North all the luck in the world in hosting the Regional.   

It' is a ton of hard work and thankless work, but rewarding in its own ways.   I will gladly give North a chance and I understand it' their frist cack at this so it will have bumps, but personally I go to see the wrestling and as long as there are mats and scoreboards I say let' wrestle! 

I, too, wish them well.  The problem is that I do not view the regional as an experiment lab.  Let north take over the central sectional, have a great couple of years then give them a crack at the regional.

6 hours ago, MD92 said:

How about we wait and see how North does hosting the regional before we say it was a terrible decision?

I think that is a good idea.  However, I think there is resistance because North has not even hosted a Sectional.  It would seem to make more sense if they rotated the sectional between Central and North a couple of years before awarding and moving the Regional.   With no actual knowledge of the current state of the North program other than recent history, it seems fair to me to wonder if they have enough people/staff to pull it off well.  

The other thing that comes to mind is why the change was made.  Is someone looking for a cheaper option than the Ford Center for the Semi-State and trying to use North as a test to see if they could take it over?  Is there reason to believe they may not be able to continue using the Ford Center (for whatever reason) and this is a preemptive move to try to see if North has the facility, the ability and the desire to take on the Semi-State and keep it in Evansville?  Could someone be thinking 3-4 years down the road?

One might think it would make sense for there to be a reason given for the move but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Is it common for the IHSAA to take events away from a school without an explanation?  

I cant see North holding the number of people that a Semi-State to pull in over the years.   North has nice facilities but it just isn't large enough for a four ma, all day, Half State Slugfest.   A lot of us remember the Seymore High School Semi State.  Huge Gym, Tons of Space, and Still outgrown.

The place that has always stuck in my mind is I.U. and their Basketball Barn.    Or what about Indiana State?  Yes it's out of the way for most, but a larger venue all the same.

I love having the Semi-State in Evansville and would hate to lose it, but as I am record stating - I am NOT a fan of the Ford Center primarily due to it's location in the town.  "Let's take grandma to the South East Side of Evansville to see Timmy wrestle Saturday...In February...And let her push her walker 4 city blocks." said NO ONE EVER.  Why the Ford Center was not built between Morgan Ave and Highway 66 , next to I-69, is a true mystery to most people in the area.  But it is what it is.  

All said and done, North has their shot at a Regional.  I agree it would have been nice to let them have a chance to run the Sectional first.  But is it fair to take that from Central when tht is their one big event of the year?  From a facilities stand point, I can understand the point of moving it.  From the "political" point of view it's best left alone.

But hey, why ask any of us?  We only buy tickets every year...What do we know????

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.