Evansville North Regional

SouthSideJimmy

I am most likely the wrong person to make this comment given my school does benefit from this, but moving the Regional from Castle to North seems to be unpopular at least, and not well thought out over all.

North's facilities are really nice, but I am not sure they will be able to handle the kind of crowds that have packed Castle's gym in the past.   The hospitality and over all vibe of the Castle Regional has been among the best in the state for many years also.  Something about that tradition will be lost I am afraid. 

I realize the IHSAA is "Spreading the Wealth" but I can't say this particular move is a really great one based on the tradition and over all drawing power of packing Castle's Gym to watch the Meat Grinder

I think it's no secret that the vast majority of coaches, including Evv North's (actually I heard it was a unanimous vote) voted to keep it at Castle.  I think it was one of the last moves of the former AD for Evv-Vanderburgh County School Corp Paul Neidig, who now works for the IHSAA.  Although this is all hearsay, of course.

:)

Ill just put it in another perspective.   Why in Indiana, does the same location  always have to host the sectional or Regional?   Used to live in Missouri and Kansas,  and they moved it around year to year.  Really wasn't a big deal.  Maybe its a good idea to move it as long as a location has capacity to host it?   Maybe its quite a burden on a school to host every year.   Maybe move it around so teams can travel more or less, and so hometown fans might get to see it once in a while.

Hopefully they can strike a deal with Roca Bar for some good pizza. I know Hook talks about that face sized pizza they had at Castle, but it was like eating cardboard with watered down catsup on it. 

On a positive note, the folks of Paradise  now will not have to clean up the West Side Kool Aid cans left behind after their(EMD)celebration. 

As far as capacity goes, they definitely have the space and seating, but how will concessions hold up? I'm looking forward to the change of venue. 

12 hours ago, hook and half said:

I’ve always been a fan of central wrestling; not a fan of their gym.  It’s dark, dated and the seats are far removed from the action.

whats wrong with a north sectional?  

Terrible decicision to move the regional.  

I always wondered why they didn't have the sectional in the old North Gym instead of central.  It was a better venue for the fans.   I do agree moving the Evansville Sectional made more sense than moving the regional.  

I guess we can all be happy we are not Tell City and got moved from a Sectional and region 45 minutes away to a 150 mile round trip to Jeffersonville for BOTH.

1 hour ago, guillotine said:

I hear that Jasper has a shot at the new location in 2019.

We were just there for a 6-way. It’s very nice, but not close to big enough. That would be a horrible decision. 

Wow! I remember my first Regional was at MD 76-77 school year. Then in 77-78 school year it was moved to Castle??? I believe Jasper pulled off a big team win that same year. (Someone correct me if I am wrong!)

Castle is a tradition...and it works! The table workers are on top of it, locker rooms, parking lots, accessibility, all easy....I don't get the reasoning in the change?

JB

PS: Hey JPT 189

Edited by twigt
Spelling of course.

48 minutes ago, SouthSideJimmy said:

Hope they bring in FEMA Trailers to sleep in... There are basically ZERO places to stay in Jasper.

Absolutely true!

I would hate that time difference as well!

On 1/18/2018 at 5:09 PM, Wrestling Scholar said:

Ill just put it in another perspective.   Why in Indiana, does the same location  always have to host the sectional or Regional?   Used to live in Missouri and Kansas,  and they moved it around year to year.  Really wasn't a big deal.  Maybe its a good idea to move it as long as a location has capacity to host it?   Maybe its quite a burden on a school to host every year.   Maybe move it around so teams can travel more or less, and so hometown fans might get to see it once in a while.

A few sectionals rotate between two schools. However, I do not think there are truly that many schools that want to host a sectional or regional. They take a lot of work behind the scenes that most athletic directors do not want to do. 

Castle Regional was second to none . Good food and great hospitality. The Ford Center would be hard to beat as far as Semi-States go .. Plenty of room , great seating , parking , food , hotels , restaurants.  And night life . Maybe we can move it to Bloomington.. The Ford Center that is.. just glad we have it here locally..

Those who ask to rotate Sectionals and Regionals I highly disagree with.  Rotating a wrestling sectional or regional is not the same as rotating a basketball game that last two hours and your done.  In order to  host a wrestling tourney as we all know takes a large number of volunteers that know what they are doing.  Castle for example has a support system in place that allows for a smooth running tourney, like a well oiled machine.  The facilities permits the fans to catch all the action no matter where they are seated.  After all we are trying to make the sport more appealing, sitting in a crowded gym for 8 to 10 hours is not inviting.  From a fan perspective, Castel is able to accommodate seating with viewing of all mats and excellent concessions.

From a coaches perspective they run a smooth tourney for athletes and coaches on time with great hospitality room. No I am not a Castle supporter just a coach who thinks this move did not help our sport move in a positive direction like we all hope.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.