Cynical About the 'Weight Management Program'

MOWrestler

This is probably more of a post-season topic when we don't have much wrestling to actually talk about, but as I just read post from SharkBit about qualified weigh-ins per the 1.5% rule it got me thinking.

Has anyone actually seen a significant change in weight management practices (across the board) due to the new system?

My gut feeling is NO.  The same basic things are happening from a weight management standpoint.  Coaches and wrestlers are just working around the system to get the "6 qualified weigh-ins" and to have their wrestler at the weight they want for the post-season.

I am not blaming the rule, but frankly if cutting weight is a concern, the only way it will ever change significantly is a mat-side weigh-in.  I am neither advocating this nor denouncing it.  I just think it would be the only way we'd see any real changes.

21 hours ago, MOWrestler said:

Has anyone actually seen a significant change in weight management practices (across the board) due to the new system?

My gut feeling is NO. 

Would love to see a poll on this.  My guess is you would see the opinion in the majority.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.