New Uniforms

aoberlin

This topic has probably been discussed but since the season is almost over I would like to get some opinions.  Personally I was all for the change in hopes that it would drive more participation or kids at least trying wrestling.  But recently we had a dual meet and the opposing team had one wrestler wear his new uniform and it was pretty baggy, both his shirt and shorts.  So much so that our wrestler's hand got caught on his shorts a couple times.  To me it looked like warm up gear and I asked the ref if it was legal and he said "unfortunately yes, and I don't like it either".

So what have you seen this year so far and what are your feelings?

Also is there not a rule on how tight fitting the shirt and shorts have to be?

4 hours ago, aoberlin said:

This topic has probably been discussed but since the season is almost over I would like to get some opinions.  Personally I was all for the change in hopes that it would drive more participation or kids at least trying wrestling.  But recently we had a dual meet and the opposing team had one wrestler wear his new uniform and it was pretty baggy, both his shirt and shorts.  So much so that our wrestler's hand got caught on his shorts a couple times.  To me it looked like warm up gear and I asked the ref if it was legal and he said "unfortunately yes, and I don't like it either".

So what have you seen this year so far and what are you feelings?

Also is there not a rule on how tight fitting the shirt and shorts have to be?

It appears to be a sizing issue. I noticed one team that had great looking new 2 pieces and all but a few were horribly ill fit. I think the coach let the kids pick and they went a size bigger than they should have. Shorts seem to be the biggest problem, with lots of variance between fight shorts and compression style. 

For the most part the ones ive seen work with no real issues. There will always be problems that arise with innovation but i think the rule has been good. Im hopeful the impact continues to grow as more and more teams are able to purchase new uniforms.

I have seen the compression short versions, which I thought were the only legal ones, and the MMA style that are way too loose. Definitely needs to be reigned in and redefined for some teams. I was not there but was told that a referee made a kid go change due to his shorts being too baggy a few weekends ago.

We have worn our 2 piece uniforms probably in 85% of our matches. Each kid has wrestled approximately 34 matches as of now and we have had 0 problems with fingers getting caught in the uniform. We’ve had 1 opposing wrestler called for grabbing the shorts (kid purposely grabbed and pulled on shorts for leverage, this was not accidental) which is about on par with how many times per year I see a kid called for grabbing the singlet during the season. Only possible problem I could see is durability of the uniform top. We’ve had one shirt sleeve stitching start to unravel. 

2 hours ago, swain358 said:

We have worn our 2 piece uniforms probably in 85% of our matches. Each kid has wrestled approximately 34 matches as of now and we have had 0 problems with fingers getting caught in the uniform. We’ve had 1 opposing wrestler called for grabbing the shorts (kid purposely grabbed and pulled on shorts for leverage, this was not accidental) which is about on par with how many times per year I see a kid called for grabbing the singlet during the season. Only possible problem I could see is durability of the uniform top. We’ve had one shirt sleeve stitching start to unravel. 

Your shorts are too loose. JMO.

Would like to see uniformity across the state either MMA style or compression not both.

9 hours ago, Brown boys said:

Your shorts are too loose. JMO.

Would like to see uniformity across the state either MMA style or compression not both.

To the diehard wrestling people the 2 piece uniform (shirt and loose fitting shorts) may not be the look they would like to see in a wrestling match. But, to the casual wrestling fan, parent, random student that showed up to watch, the 2 piece uniform with loose fitting shorts is by far a better look. I have asked many of our new fans and all have said they like seeing the 2 piece uniform much more than the singlet. I am a diehard obviously so I have no problem with the singlet. Just giving the opinions from our casual fans.

Best ones I have seen this year was Columbus East.  I thought the fit on their shorts and shirts were ideal and looked good too.  Everybody else I have seen wear the shorts I feel have been a little bit on the baggy side, but as far as functionality, there were no issues I seen during the matches.  An ideal thing to do when introducing anything new however, is to reevaluate how it worked out for the year and make necessary adjustments.  Crossing my fingers.

Couple comments on the new uniforms.

I surveyed our kids in the preseason to get a new singlet or the fight shorts and compression shirt combo. It was literally 50/50 when putting those two options to vote. When I changed the fight shorts to compression shorts it became overwelmingly in favor of the compression shorts.

We got the compression shorts and shirt and the brand we got(3X Gear) is very durable and the shirts are EXTREMELY tight. I think they will last a long time, but we haven't worn them as much as we could have.

The biggest "issue" I see is that in a multiple match day the shirts could become very gross if a kid sweats a lot and taking them off and putting them on could spread some skin funk.

On the comment of the fight shorts, it looks like there are many different styles and brands. I agree in that I like Columbus East's shorts as they seem a tad shorter than the others and are not very baggy. I have seen a few teams with some shorts that do not look good as they are really baggy or they didn't get the right sizes for shirts and they aren't as tight as they should be.

A few things I've noticed on the new uniforms - I saw a couple of kids in a scramble and one kid's hand got caught in the other kid's fight shorts. The ref was quick and he literally jerked the arm out of the shorts and wrestling continued without any other issue. This was a middle school meet.

In high school the only negative I saw was a kid's shirt came way up while he was wrestling. I know that had to be uncomfortable, but it didn't affect the wrestling.

Personally I think it's somewhat of a money grab. Now instead of using singlets for 5 years, they get new uniforms every year. But, that's not a big deal to me. If the kids like them, go with them. I will say that the compression outfits like Yorktown wears is the way I think they should all be.

I thought Franklin Central's compression shirt/fight short combo looked good and functional and fit was good.

Is the new uniform better suited for a week night dual and the singlet better for a Saturday tournament/super dual?  

1 hour ago, IWFTKWC11 said:

I've seen on multiple occasions at various levels where a wrestler is wearing a single and a compression shirt over top, which I am by no means in favor of since you can't tuck the shirt into anything. 

Our heavyweight has had that problem a few times. Told him to wear a matching color singlet underneath his 2 piece but he won't do it lol.

2 minutes ago, Coach Brown said:
40 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Has anyone seen anyone wearing the fight shorts over the singlet? Just curious as this is allowed now also.

Yes, I seen this at a youth tournament that my son participated. I was puzzled why was there a need for both.

I think Fearless Fly already answered this before it was asked:

1 hour ago, fearless fly said:

I'm for anything that helps hide the "junk"

...or "no junk" in my case !  ; )

I'm guessing it has to do with his second comment...

Compound's fight shorts are a little shorter and fit better (stretch material incorporated) than the other fight shorts I have seen.  I still think singlets will eventually be a thing of the past and I think it will be for the better.  Nobody would wear a singlet for any reason other than wrestling.  Eventually I think kids will ask "why would I do that when I can wear shorts and shirt"?  Most of our bigger kids wear the shorts and shirts because it hides everything better.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.