Favorite Excuses

Numchuck Skills

So, let's hear them. What are your funniest excuses to why a kid has not shown up for a practice/meet/tournament, been overweight by either a tenth or a million ounces. 

Here's a good one, "my girlfirend's mom's boyfriend had a birthday dinner."

Mom wanted to tell ya'll that one.

Edited by Numchuck Skills

Some from coaching and some from when I wrestled.

Not making it to an event.  Funny at first, but less humorous after.    

Phone call  “Coach I won’t be able to make it out van is on fire.”  This was a kid that’s always late and also missed a few meets.  We are driving to the meet which goes past his road and sure enough a vans engine was on fire in sub-zero temperatures with emergency out there.   We doubled back and picked the kids up on the way to the meet.  Thankfully everyone was safe.

Missed weight:  Kid weighed out about 1.5lb under weight.   Came into school the next day 2lb over.  

Kid: Coach all I had was water last night.  

Coach: Well how much water did you have.

Kid: A few glasses coach.   But that can’t be why because it’s clear so doesn’t weigh much.  

Second best was when our HWT didn’t make weight.  

Kid: All I had was fruit and vegetables Coach.  

Coach:No way you gained that much weight just eating some fruit and vegetable.  

Kids brother: He ate a crap ton of them all night long coaches. I told him to stop but he said it’s fine they are healthy foods so he wont gain weight.  

Not coming to practice the day before the first meet so couldn’t wrestle at that meet:

Kid: Coach you said we had to be clean shaven by that practice or we would be in trouble.  

Coach: Yes.

Kid: Well my mom hadn’t been to Walmart yet, so I went home.  

Coach: You know we have extra razors and shaving cream in the Med kit right.  

Kid: Yes coach, but my mom said I have sensitive skin so she only buys me the special kind.  

2 Good ones from my wrestling days. 

1. A kid drank 10 20oz Surges at lunch. (It was the launch of Surge and they gave them out for free). He passes out and feel down some stairs. (He was alright) 

2.  A kid didn't make the tournament because we actually left the school without him. He was upstairs running and nobody got him. He said he ran for quite a while before coming down and realized we had left. 

One of my all time favorites has to be when a wrestler told Mitch Robb after he was a pound or 2 overweight(approximately) that he took a shower that morning so he must've accidentally drank some of the water from the shower. ??? This came from a wrestler that was good enough to place in state if obviously his head was in the right spot lol. 

Ready to leave for a tourney...kid went down to the locker room showers to...uh...shower...locked him in there..BY MISTAKE!...set the alarm and left...not noticing...figure he is one of the bundled up at the back of the bus...wrong guy....team swears he is there....we leave.  He gets out...setting off alarms...calls us and says "I can drive and meet you there" we say "AWESOME...see you there"...meanwhile...room is locked...can't get his shoes or anything else including car keys.  We left a semi state qualifier locked IN the shower...THEN locked OUT of the room.  Needless to say...he had a pretty good excuse for missing weigh-ins.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.