Too many takedowns(?)

Ktony113

Hopefully it is a discussion between coach's and kids.  My coach told me to stop doing it to lesser opponents in high school.  To tell you the truth, as a young kid all I thought about was more takedowns and didn't event think about it.  As an adult and coach, there seems to be no point to it.  If it is a necessary strategy to win, then by all means do what you have to do.  If it is about getting 15 takedowns against at kid who can't defend himself, then you have to start to wonder what you are teaching your kids.  At some point if you consider what the definition of "unsportsmanlike" is, I would have to agree that playing with an opponent to pad your stats probably is not sportsmanlike.

1 hour ago, doctorWrestling said:

Hopefully it is a discussion between coach's and kids.  My coach told me to stop doing it to lesser opponents in high school.  To tell you the truth, as a young kid all I thought about was more takedowns and didn't event think about it.  As an adult and coach, there seems to be no point to it.  If it is a necessary strategy to win, then by all means do what you have to do.  If it is about getting 15 takedowns against at kid who can't defend himself, then you have to start to wonder what you are teaching your kids.  At some point if you consider what the definition of "unsportsmanlike" is, I would have to agree that playing with an opponent to pad your stats probably is not sportsmanlike.

I think you said it well.    I think its a great strategy to win a match and even to break down a guy as somebody mentioned.  Also a way to get a major or tech sometimes.  But  Its similar to a football game like when  you're up by 5 touchdowns.   It you step on the gas you look like a jackass.    

Anyway I looked up the national record for takedowns.   According to wrestling USA,  Carson Kill in 2012 from Trenton, MO,  had 559 takedowns in a season.   Say he had 50 matches, he's averaging over 10 takedowns in a match.   I wonder what the opposing coaches, fans and refs thought about this.    Anyway good luck getting this record.

I would compare this to kicking an onside kick, throwing a touchdown pass, kicking an onside kick and throwing a touchdown pass, kicking an onside kick and throwing a touchdown pass etc. etc. (when you're already blowing a team out) to get your QB a TD passing record against inferior opponents.  There is nothing illegal about doing this but are these the lessons you want to teach the young men and women you're coaching?  If you're coaching strictly for wins and records, you're missing the boat as a coach.  Your responsibility is to not only make better wrestlers, but more importantly, better people using wrestling as the vehicle to teach such important life lessons.  When these lessons are taught, wins and losses take care of themselves and true growth happens.  Just one man's humble opinion.

Edited by Hornet Coach

15 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

What is the difference in teching someone with tilts or not trying for the pin when turning a guy?

If you can't pin the guy by all means cut the guy until there is a tech fall.  What I am saying is if the wrestler is horrible what good does it do toying with him?

28 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

What is the difference in teching someone with tilts or not trying for the pin when turning a guy?

Depends. If that more dominant kid on top can turn a neutral stud, he better pour it on.  I still like the idea of building a small decent lead and then ratcheting up intensity to get the pin on an opponent whose thinking and behavior may have become unsteady due to being in the hole.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.