Depth of 126

gsmith58

1 hour ago, Caleb Spires said:

Yeah that was the one that sticks out to me as well. A ton of guys with very solid careers. At the time it may not have been known how tough all the guys would be, since most were freshman and sophomores, but looking back there were a lot of placements between them all when it was said and done.

Yeah he does, no quit in him. Last off season he actually had a win over Mills the exact same way. Was down 4 going into the third, got a mid-period takedown and then another late takedown to take it to overtime and picked up the win. 

Even dom price that was 6th at ss that year was a stud who placed thr next year.. and those 4 that did make it through all ended up Indiana legends...Campbell with 2 of the craziest title matches ever..mckinley throwing keifer on his head in the finals for the pin was nuts...Todd literally jumping over Brooks to avoid a takedown In  the finals was epic.. and Harvey was a killer in his own right! 

18 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

2006 at 119lbs had three champs

Anthony Williams, Eric Galka, and Ethan Harris.

None of them even made the finals.

Here is the bracket

Javier Salas won the weight and Reece Freeman beat two state champs and finished 5th. He won state the next year. So in total there five present or future champs in the weight.

He won with a sweet fireman's on bracket buster Blake Harner from Norwell.  His match with Williams was a classic.

On 1/4/2018 at 8:15 AM, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Frikkn loaded is a  under statement..Chandler Carroll was a animal too

On 1/4/2018 at 8:13 AM, BClark said:

That's the one I remember as well.

At the state finals:

Ayersman, Beck, Campbell, McKinley, Todd, Harvey -- Plus the youngsters Welch & Crume

All 8 guys wrestled under the lights. 

Those guys were 119 and 125 that year. I would say 112 in 2010-2011 was by far one of the most impressive weight classes. I'm not even sure if all of this is right, but the weight class looked like this:

Year                       Place       Other State Appearances 

Jr. Alonzo Shepherd-  8th               (6th)

Jr. Paul Petrov-  4th                        (2nd, 1st)  

Jr. Mason Todd- 1st                         ( 5th, 3rd)

Jr. Sam Goebel- Did not place       (7th)

So. Schuylar Phillips-Did Not Place   (2nd, 3rd)

Sr. Abraham Que- 7th                         (2x qualifier)

Fr. Blake Denton- Did not Place     (3x state qualifier)

Jr. Cody Phillips- 3rd                         (1st, 1st)

Jr. Jarred Brooks-2nd                       (5th, 1st)

Fr. Kyle Jolas- Did not place             (5th)

Sr. Luke Schroder-  Did Not Place  (3rd)

Sr. Dominique Price- 5th

Sr. Brian Orzechowicz- 6th

Other notable competitors in the weight class-

Fr. Enrique Early                                (8th, 4th)

Fr. Cody LeCount                                (1st, 1st, 2nd)

(For some of them I didn't put how many times they made it to state)

Edited by isaacweimer106

11 hours ago, isaacweimer106 said:

Those guys were 119 and 125 that year. I would say 112 in 2010-2011 was by far one of the most impressive weight classes. I'm not even sure if all of this is right, but the weight class looked like this:

What year? I was talking about 2009-2010. 112lb weight class. Those were the guys at state.  

5 minutes ago, isaacweimer106 said:

I was talking 2010-2011 at 112lbs. They all sort of mix together because they all wrestle around the same weight in those two years. My bad

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/boys sports/wrestling/2009-10/0910IndividualStateBrackets.pdf

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/Boys Sports/Wrestling/2010-11/1011StateBrackets.pdf

Evansville Semi State @ 126lb 

Willis #1 seed out of his regional..."should be"

Rooks #1 seed out of his regional...."should be"

Mills and Garcia will face at sectional then regional and one of them will be a #2 seed...one of them could face Willis or Rooks in ticket round at semi state

1 hour ago, isaacweimer106 said:

I was talking 2010-2011 at 112lbs. They all sort of mix together because they all wrestle around the same weight in those two years. My bad

No worries. Just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing. Lots of loaded weight classes in that time period.

9 hours ago, DLane said:

Evansville Semi State @ 126lb 

Willis #1 seed out of his regional..."should be"

Rooks #1 seed out of his regional...."should be"

Mills and Garcia will face at sectional then regional and one of them will be a #2 seed...one of them could face Willis or Rooks in ticket round at semi state

Egli beats Willis handily this year!

47 minutes ago, IU89 said:

Egli beats Willis handily this year!

I don't know about handily but I definitely thinks he beats him. So that could set up a few crazy 126 ticket round matches. Maybe rooks/Willis or mills/egli or Garcia/ egli or rooks/Garcia. Matches that could be under the lights at the bank with different draws. Wow.

4 hours ago, DLane said:

Evansville SS at 126 is a nightmare...

Mooresville Reg....Garcia #1, Mills #7, Denny #12

Jeffersonville Reg...Rooks #2

Castle Reg....Egli #4,Willis #9

Luckily, we have wrestlebacks a Semi-State, so the best will get through regardless.... whoops, I was dreaming! Oh well, embrace the grind, some very good wrestlers are not going to get to punch their ticket to State.  This is among some of the reasons college coaches have told me they don't waste their time with Indiana's state tournament.

4 hours ago, DLane said:

Evansville SS at 126 is a nightmare...

Mooresville Reg....Garcia #1, Mills #7, Denny #12

Jeffersonville Reg...Rooks #2

Castle Reg....Egli #4,Willis #9

I would really hate to see a Mills/Garcia vs Rooks ticket round match! I hope of or two of the studs at 126 drop down or go up!

12 minutes ago, teammills said:

Luckily, we have wrestlebacks a Semi-State, so the best will get through regardless.... whoops, I was dreaming! Oh well, embrace the grind, some very good wrestlers are not going to get to punch their ticket to State.  This is among some of the reasons college coaches have told me they don't waste their time with Indiana's state tournament.

What are the other reasons?

14 minutes ago, teammills said:

I would say that NHSCA, Flonationals, UWW, etc. are just as important, if not more, as talent evaluation tools for college coaches.  However, I don't think our state tournament is a waste of time, as a piece of the recruiting process.  I'd go as far to say that, in most knowledgeable wrestling circles, it's pretty highly regarded for its difficulty.

52 minutes ago, teammills said:

I've been saying this for awhile now that Semi-State should have wrestlebacks. How it's setup now isn't the most optimal tournament to get the best kids to state. I would say the same thing about regional aswell

Considering I lost all 4 years in the ticket round by 1 or 2 points with 3 of them being to the State Champion. I've always wondered how it woulda went down if we had wrestle backs.Im sure there are thousands that have wondered the same thing. I don't think it's asking something unreasonable. The crazy part is I have yet to talk to anyone who was against it.

2 hours ago, ehscoach said:

What are the other reasons?

Several coaches that we talked to during recruiting didn't put a lot of value into the placements of our tournament.  Obviously, the champ is the champ and deserves the attention as it's one of the toughest State tournaments in the country, but the fact is our placements really aren't true placements without wrestlebacks.  I'm not trying to open Pandora's box, but more than one coach mentioned how dumb a first round match of Colton Cummings vs Alec White was last year (the year before it was Triana vs Cummings in SS Blood Round).  One has to win and one has to lose, but the fact that the loser can't come back to place seems absurd,  Of the 2 coaches we talked with who actually came to our State tournament, each watched Friday night and then left on Saturday morning for the Illinois State Tournament.  Their reasoning was they preferred to see more kids wrestle in a State with class wrestling, than the limited bang for the buck in our State.  Everyone said our State tournament environment was awesome, but no one liked our State's format.  I'm not trying to turn this into a 25 page topic, but that's what we heard straight from multiple D1 coaches.

Let the debates begin...

3 minutes ago, teammills said:

Several coaches that we talked to during recruiting didn't put a lot of value into the placements of our tournament.  Obviously, the champ is the champ and deserves the attention as it's one of the toughest State tournaments in the country, but the fact is our placements really aren't true placements without wrestlebacks.  I'm not trying to open Pandora's box, but more than one coach mentioned how dumb a first round match of Colton Cummings vs Alec White was last year (the year before it was Triana vs Cummings in SS Blood Round).  One has to win and one has to lose, but the fact that the loser can't come back to place seems absurd,  Of the 2 coaches we talked with who actually came to our State tournament, each watched Friday night and then left on Saturday morning for the Illinois State Tournament.  Their reasoning was they preferred to see more kids wrestle in a State with class wrestling, than the limited bang for the buck in our State.  Everyone said our State tournament environment was awesome, but no one liked our State's format.  I'm not trying to turn this into a 25 page topic, but that's what we heard straight from multiple D1 coaches.

Let the debates begin...

I was always amazed when I first came to Indiana that they didn't have wrestlebacks at the state tournament.  Every one brags about the ticket round.   But its sad to see so many talented wrestlers make it to state, then 1 just match.  The ticket round in Ohio is on Friday which is there second day of the tournament.  Its just as exciting as Indiana's, but its more legit because the better wrestlers are funneled through the wrestle backs. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.