Depth of 126

gsmith58

2006 at 119lbs had three champs

Anthony Williams, Eric Galka, and Ethan Harris.

None of them even made the finals.

Here is the bracket

Javier Salas won the weight and Reece Freeman beat two state champs and finished 5th. He won state the next year. So in total there five present or future champs in the weight.

126 is brutal. I’ll be surprised if one doesn’t drop to a more wide open 120. It’s probably the deepest weight in the last few years. It’s even better since several have already faced each other this season. 

Ill take 171 from '93.

D. Pleak Eventual State Champ and Runner up

D. Brimmage 3rd ('93) and 4th ('94)

W. Hill Eventual State Champ

J. Brimm Eventual State Champ, 3rd ('94) and 4th ('93)

And those guys werent in the finals...

R. Miller State Champ

G. Journey 2nd, 2nd and 3rd

Very fun to watch these guys go at it.  

Oh, that’s a good one. Robert Miller was probably the most unathletic out of the group too. But, no one, and I mean no one, could stop or figure out his left handed headlock. Robert was one of the most intriguing champs we have ever had. Started his freshman year at Cathedral only to win the title for Lawrence North two years later. The last of one of the nastiest group that has arguably come through Indianapolis in a couple generations, Robert emulated the Christian Park room. More champs and placewinners came out of that room than any other I have seen. Lance Ellis, Billy and Jason Terry, Rob Walke, Matt Puckett, the Guhls, the McGinleys, and Danny Pleak was prob in there as a 5 or 6 year old too. Good memories of the 1980s/90s Cathedral and Warren teams. The Indy near Eastside’s proudest wrestling heritage. Absolute assassins in the day. 

Maybe not previous accomplishments but depth and future 

2014 106 

1st Reitz Griffith-duke(champ) 

2nd- konrath mt Vernon-Wisconsin 

3rd- Bailey cathedral-northern illinois/IU (champ) 

4th- white new pal- Purdue (champ) 

5th- will egli mater dei 

6th hildebrant penn- central Michigan(champ)

7th langloh Columbia city- Tiffen 

8th hatch Warsaw- wabash 

SQ Cummings Lowell- army(2x champ) 

Sq wiemer east noble- indiana tech 

4 hours ago, ontherise219 said:

Maybe not previous accomplishments but depth and future 

2014 106 

1st Reitz Griffith-duke(champ) 

2nd- konrath mt Vernon-Wisconsin 

3rd- Bailey cathedral-northern illinois/IU (champ) 

4th- white new pal- Purdue (champ) 

5th- will egli mater dei 

6th hildebrant penn- central Michigan(champ)

7th langloh Columbia city- Tiffen 

8th hatch Warsaw- wabash 

SQ Cummings Lowell- army(2x champ) 

Sq wiemer east noble- indiana tech 

Plus DeLaPena, Michael & Tolin, Jack didn't make it out of semi-state.

2 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

NC SS @112 IN 2010

1.Campbell

2.mckinley

3. Harvey

4.Todd

3 state champions and 2x runner up not too shabby

That's the one I remember as well.

At the state finals:

Ayersman, Beck, Campbell, McKinley, Todd, Harvey -- Plus the youngsters Welch & Crume

All 8 guys wrestled under the lights. 

1 minute ago, BClark said:

At the state finals:

Ayersman, Beck, Campbell, McKinley, Todd, Harvey -- Plus the youngsters Welch & Crume

Frikkn loaded is a  under statement..Chandler Carroll was a animal too

16 hours ago, gsmith58 said:

So for folks that have been around awhile, how does the depth of 126 compare to other weight classes over the years? Just curious.

I have no idea if they can based on the rules and/or team philosophy but here are my thoughts just for fun. 

I believe there are 6-7 wrestlers who have a legit shot to take home the title, and 2-3 more that could make it under the lights. 

Garcia -- Although 126 is a meat grinder at Evansville (see post in State Rankings updated) he is at the top of the food chain and no reason to move.

Rooks -- Very capable of winning at 126 but CE does not have a ranked wrestler at 120 and he is the defending State Champ at that weight. It would shock me but if he could qualify for 120 he would become the favorite.

Viduya -- New Castle SS already has 7 ranked kids at 120, no reason to make it 8.

Egil -- EMD has state ranked kids at 106, 113, 120, 132, 138 so there is no movement in that lineup.

Poynter -- Portage has ranked wrestlers at 113 & 120 so dropping is not likely; 132 has 4 ranked kids at East Chicago so moving up would still present a realistic shot to advance to State.

Smiley -- He has already dropped from 132 and only him and Alec are ranked at 126 in New Castle; no reason to move.

Mills -- Brownsburg is similar to EMD in the fact they are loaded around him, no where to go.

Mejia -- Fort Wayne is weaker at 120 vs 126 (based on rankings) and the team does not have a ranked wrestler at 120 currently.  Has a victory this year over the #1 ranked Watts.

Willis -- See notes on Mejia but substitute Evansville for Fort Wayne.  Has a victory this year over the #3 ranked Fair.

Once again I have no idea if any of these wrestlers can move per the rules or if the team will allow it BUT if it was possible I only see it making sense for a few.

Edited by Indysportsfan
Correction made on SS for Mejia.

2 hours ago, BClark said:

At the state finals:

Yeah that was the one that sticks out to me as well. A ton of guys with very solid careers. At the time it may not have been known how tough all the guys would be, since most were freshman and sophomores, but looking back there were a lot of placements between them all when it was said and done.

2 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Yes that was bananas.. watts has a gas tank on him that's for sure

Yeah he does, no quit in him. Last off season he actually had a win over Mills the exact same way. Was down 4 going into the third, got a mid-period takedown and then another late takedown to take it to overtime and picked up the win. 

6 minutes ago, Caleb Spires said:

Yeah he does, no quit in him. Last off season he actually had a win over Mills the exact same way. Was down 4 going into the third, got a mid-period takedown and then another late takedown to take it to overtime and picked up the win. 

"Clash at the Creek" was a heck of a tournament! Watts is definitely top notch and a phenomenal young man. Excited to see what he accomplishes this season.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.