Middle School State (Regionals)???

poppe66

On 1/3/2018 at 8:33 PM, Indiana7 said:

Make guys that don’t have that much competition anyways have to wrestle another weekend. What advantage would breaking this into Two weekends.  They run tournament smoothly in one day 

Look at some of the large brackets and how many matches a kid has to wrestle if he lost in the first round and can wrestle all the way back to true 2nd. 

58 minutes ago, bwoodjc89 said:

Look at some of the large brackets and how many matches a kid has to wrestle if he lost in the first round and can wrestle all the way back to true 2nd. 

This biggest issue is the seeding criteria (or lack of it). A few years back Asa and Alec Viduya met the first round. Alec wrestled 11 times that day to take true 2nd. That’s not good. The people who run it have been using track profile rankings to seed this. That is a severely flawed way of doing it. I have suggested the following seeding criteria for several years: 

1. Returning middle school state champ

2. Returning middle school state placer

3. ISWA folkstyle schoolboy state champ

4. ISWA folkstyle schoolboy top 4 placer

5. ISWA folkstyle novice state champ

6. ISWA folkstyle novice top 4 placer

10 hours ago, Mattyb said:

This biggest issue is the seeding criteria (or lack of it). A few years back Asa and Alec Viduya met the first round. Alec wrestled 11 times that day to take true 2nd. That’s not good. The people who run it have been using track profile rankings to seed this. That is a severely flawed way of doing it. I have suggested the following seeding criteria for several years: 

1. Returning middle school state champ

2. Returning middle school state placer

3. ISWA folkstyle schoolboy state champ

4. ISWA folkstyle schoolboy top 4 placer

5. ISWA folkstyle novice state champ

6. ISWA folkstyle novice top 4 placer

Excellent way to seed it! Once again hoping this does not fall on deaf ears! "Trackwrestling should not be the Seeding for MS State" 

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:33 PM, Indiana7 said:

Make guys that don’t have that much competition anyways have to wrestle another weekend. What advantage would breaking this into Two weekends.  They run tournament smoothly in one day 

The guys who run it do a fantastic job.  But when you have kids sitting around all day to wait till 4:00 to wrestle first match then 6 more matches and you don't leave till near midnight to do a 2 hour drive then have school the next day just seems that we could do smaller regionals and then a 16 man or 8 man state bracket.  You might get more participation from kids in the corners of the state if they wrestle a regional that is closer and qualify for the state.

If you have regionals you can seed based off regional placement much like they do for the high school state series.

There has been talk that New Castle might not be hosting the event in the future. It would be better if the date was after high school state series AND at a venue where all the matches are on full mats. Having regionals would help curb the number of entries to a certain number, which would help with not getting out at midnight or later.

Only considering state competition for seeding is flawed, many of the top middle school wrestlers compete at the national level, not having how they do against the top wrestlers in the nation as part of seeding does no justice for our athletes.  Competing outside of the state against the top the nation has is a true test of the quality wrestler.  Would like to see how many Indian wrestlers did not compete out of state and went on to place at state or even make it to Bankers Life.  In order for our state and athletes to be respected at the National level we must support competing beyond ISWA and Middle School State.  For example ISWA State tourney is the same weekend as USA Dominate in the Dells in Wisconsin, so our top wrestlers are force to make a choice.  There may be reasoning behind all this that I am not aware of. I think overall we do a great job and make many competitions available for our athletes, just think we should use national placings as consideration in order to promote our athletes competing at that level.

I can tell you that the talk of a new location with full size mats to help out with the speed of the tournament and to help accommodate the athletes in a more suitable fashion (I mean come on it is a state tournament and putting kids no matter what weight class on 1/3rd mats is absurd) is likely going to happen after this year. 

The regional discussion is a great one and I am a supporter but it would take much more structure and help from those that want to volunteer to help it be a reality.  If that is you and you feel like you can help then contact the IHWCA and let them know you are willing to help out and solve the MS state issues.  See if you can attend the planning meetings for the '19 MS state season and actively help to make a difference.

I, as the Kids Director for ISWA, obviously have a vested interest in MS state as we get our MS national team for the Heartland Trip from the state placers so I also support the best way possible of seeding the tournament in hopes that the end result is the best kids finishing the day (or night) at the top of the podium.  I would hope that the IHWCA would be willing to listen to people and ideas to possibly improve this process.  With this being said that is who and where you need to direct all of the ideas for this to see if change of any kind can be taken into consideration.

3 minutes ago, AJ said:

Who gets to make the final decision on this?  ISWA  IHSWCA? And has there been any real talks by the group in charge about making any changes?

this has nothing to do with the ISWA, we simply come there and hand out the awards on a volunteer basis so I can meet the parents and make contacts to sign the kids up for the MS National team trip. It is 100% IHWCA and my best advice for contact is JD Minch and if he can't help he will point you in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...

just wanted to point this out to everyone but thee is a section under High School forum at top in the IHWCA section that is talking about MS state and forming a committee to making changes for 2019 and beyond.  Anyone with ideas and wants to have changes made needs to get on this committee and make a difference instead of just complaining on this message board (we enjoy reading about your complaints but would also like to see you happy and making a difference......LOL)

check it out again its under HS Forum at top under IHWCA threads

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.