#13 Crown point vs #19 Hobart 12/19 region sports coverage

ontherise219

Please dont take this wrong but what is wrong  with shaking hands before the dual at face offs, then you shake hands before the match but if you watch college they  shake hands after the dual is over. This going over to other side after match is not a big deal. It’s competition and after the dual is over you shake hands and say good go!  

By the way I’m all for sportsmanship in every way but you have two great programs here that battled their butts off. Tensions get high... etc. I just personally think we’ve hugged and shake hands enough before the match. Shake opponents hand and go to your corner and shake everyone’s hand afterwards. We shake hands after every match with opponents coach but not offended if they dont

14 minutes ago, Jim calhoun said:

By the way I’m all for sportsmanship in every way but you have two great programs here that battled their butts off. Tensions get high... etc. I just personally think we’ve hugged and shake hands enough before the match. Shake opponents hand and go to your corner and shake everyone’s hand afterwards. We shake hands after every match with opponents coach but not offended if they dont

I was always taught to do it after every match also but i think it should be done before and after every dual unless its in a tournament. It could just make  the whole situation out of control. If a coach or parent thinks an opponent did something kinda dirty during a match or maybe was taunting a kid they felt then the only thing that going to a opponents corner will do is increase the odds of someone saying something and making the situation escalate. But by the time you shake after you finish then most people have probably already calmed down a bit. But im fine either way also.

1 hour ago, Jim calhoun said:

Please dont take this wrong but what is wrong  with shaking hands before the dual at face offs, then you shake hands before the match but if you watch college they  shake hands after the dual is over. This going over to other side after match is not a big deal. It’s competition and after the dual is over you shake hands and say good go!  

Good point Jim, lots of hand shaking already.......too much if you ask me.

Hand shaking is a dirty way to spread un-needed diseases.  Lets end it all together !!!  

#StopHandShaking  (I have been doing this for 47 yrs now)

In college you don’t see them shake hands until after the matches are done...Nobody seems to mind it at that level...not really a respect issue if the whole team does it, and CP is not the only team in the state that does it that way.

16 hours ago, Jimmypock said:

Every other team in the state does that as well^^.  So you're saying the Bulldogs shook hands enough times during the meet that's it's ok for them to ignore the coaches from the home team? While EVERY Brickie, win or lose, shook your hand or another coach's.  It was that way at CP with Vlink in the '90s and it's sad to see it still stinking.

It was a great matchup with a helluva crowd, like it should be every time, proving once again Hobart wrestling belongs back in the Duneland Athletic Conference!

It's different philosophies I stopped shaking hands with coaches after matches my jr year and didn't do it all through college. It's not disrespectful. I would rather a kid i was coaching against did t shake my hand after a loss so I don't have to deal with him punching my hand like a tough guy

2 hours ago, WOC said:

As a coach I never thought it as necessary to shake hands with the coaches, but as a parent I always demanded it from my kid. It was a preference of how I wanted to raise my kid.

This is exactly how i feel. I dont like to see the losing wrestler not even wanna shake the winners hand so sometimes i love it when the coach makes him shake the other coaches hand when he doesn't want to. Its a parent thing like you said lol. Great post.

On 12/21/2017 at 7:06 PM, WOC said:

As a coach I never thought it as necessary to shake hands with the coaches, but as a parent I always demanded it from my kid. It was a preference of how I wanted to raise my kid.

Exactly, because they're kids, and it's our job to teach them to control their emotions and shake the opposing coach's hand, even if they stuck the dude in :11 secs, or lost by 1 in the last second.  Grow up Crown Point. 

8 minutes ago, ontherise219 said:

The 99 Hobart is the best home grown region team I can remember all brickies 

I'm quite certain  it is.   It's sad that you have to say "home grown". You'd think other clubs would want to breed their wrestlers instead of ask for the best ones. 

I mean I was a Hobart guy. And I see why in a dual after the single match is done they don't shake hands. But it's alright. After watching team st ate I can say Hobart and crown point can and would beat a handful of teams there. Placing in the top 6. Neither team this year is good enough/deep enough to beat those top three. And cathedral wasn't there and they are TOUGH!! 

Shaking hands with the opposing coach is a dumb "tradition" that needs to end. It serves no purpose and only gives the kids or coaches an opportunity for something bad to happen. On top of that we shake hands enough especially during cold and flu season. I don't know how many times I've seen a kid wipe his nose before initiating a handshake with me.

4 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Shaking hands with the opposing coach is a dumb "tradition" that needs to end. It serves no purpose and only gives the kids or coaches an opportunity for something bad to happen. On top of that we shake hands enough especially during cold and flu season. I don't know how many times I've seen a kid wipe his nose before initiating a handshake with me.

I hate cold and flu season 

49 minutes ago, Cosgrove said:

I mean I was a Hobart guy. And I see why in a dual after the single match is done they don't shake hands. But it's alright. After watching team st ate I can say Hobart and crown point can and would beat a handful of teams there. Placing in the top 6. Neither team this year is good enough/deep enough to beat those top three. And cathedral wasn't there and they are TOUGH!! 

I don't think CP or Hobart beats the top 4 there . Brownsburg , Perry , Portage or Mater Dei . I think both would give Avon , CE , Castle and Penn a good match . 

27 minutes ago, M109R said:

I don't think CP or Hobart beats the top 4 there . Brownsburg , Perry , Portage or Mater Dei . I think both would give Avon , CE , Castle and Penn a good match . 

Seeing how Penn slipped one out against Mishawaka makes me think otherwise about that dual. Avon would be good. But yeah neither team beats those too 4 and also add cathedral in they. They handled us pretty good and did the same with portage. That team is SOLID 

1 hour ago, Cosgrove said:

Castle beat Hobart at the jasper 6 way 42-20.   Did Hobart wrestle EMD? If so, does anyone know the score?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.