When a team drops from an event...

Y2CJ41

This weekend we have two varsity events scheduled. Both events have had team drop out at the last minute.

The events have now 7 and 11 teams each, so some teams will have a bye and some will not.  

At both the events the host school is NOT one of the teams that has a bye. Is this customary? I would feel that if we are hosting that the host school should be one of the teams with a bye as it is on them to find the teams for the event.

Discuss.

Interesting situation. Assuming that it is a duals event, I think that the schedule that was initially determined should hold and the schools that were scheduled to compete against the school that dropped will have a bye during that round.  If the schedule was not already pre-determined, then a blind draw should determine which schools will compete in each round and the bye rounds will be set that way.

Replacing the no show with a bye seems to me to be the fairest thing to do.  Redrawing and the 5 worst teams get the bye seems a bit suspicious to me.  If I felt like the host school had a bogus draw, then I would drop that event for next year and schedule a better run event in it's place.

43 minutes ago, Numberz said:

If a valid contract exists for the no show team, a forfeit should be issued.

That doesn't do much good and to me is kinda playing the system. Plus at both I'd much rather have a match than 14 free wins to boost our records.

I agree that just substituting the bye for the dropped team in the schedule is the fairest, but I don't have a problem with the host team not having a bye. They have the most time and expense invested in the event and, in many cases, will have the most fans there since they don't have to travel. Their fans will be working tables and concessions, so I'd see not having a bye as a reward for the effort put into holding the event. If it is a last minute cancellation the host can't be held at fault for not filling it. Most schedules are full at this time of year.

5 hours ago, AC Computer said:

I agree that just substituting the bye for the dropped team in the schedule is the fairest, but I don't have a problem with the host team not having a bye. They have the most time and expense invested in the event and, in many cases, will have the most fans there since they don't have to travel. Their fans will be working tables and concessions, so I'd see not having a bye as a reward for the effort put into holding the event. If it is a last minute cancellation the host can't be held at fault for not filling it. Most schedules are full at this time of year.

At what point is it on the host school to provide a full event? At one event the same team has backed out two years in a row. Last year they put together a JV World All-Star team...and of course the host didn't get the privilege of wrestling them. 

As a host of an event I feel the pressure of providing a full event and if something happens it seems to go on our lap as the one to feel at least a little consequence.

2 hours ago, ehscoach said:

I think a bigger question is why do so many teams drop out of a tournament in season? Not honoring contracts makes it really difficult on everybody.

One event a team stated they have skin condition issues. The other I am not sure, but the same team has backed out two years in a row.

4 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

One event a team stated they have skin condition issues. The other I am not sure, but the same team has backed out two years in a row.

2 years in a row?  It would seem as if it is time for the host team to find a permanent replacement...

Plus screwed two NLC teams, because the team was to have 2 conference match-ups in one of those tournaments.  Which means that will effect other tournaments later this year, because they won't have enough credits (having to make this NLC match up)! They should be considered forfeits. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.