IHSWCA Business Meeting Minutes- Fall Clinic 2017

ENoblewrestling

Meeting Minutes: Thursday, Oct. 26, 2017 Ben Davis HS

I.                    Call Meeting to Order

II.                  Minutes from Spring Clinic Business Meeting (SAM)

i.      Sam Riesen read the meeting minutes from the Hall of Fame business meeting and the spring clinic.

III.                Financial Update/Status of Association (JD)

i.      JD Minch

ii.      $9,500 in our account

iii.      Explained that we would make a good amount at the clinic

iv.      JD stated that the association was doing “O.K” in terms of finances.

v.      Membership was roughly over 200

vi.      Membership cards would be mailed

IV.                New Business

a.      IHSWCA Team State Duals Update (JD)

i.      36 teams

ii.      Fort Wayne Coliseum will be the location

iii.      2 years ago the event made a lot of $

iv.      Last year was down due to the date

v.      Discussion took place about possible changes to a permanent date

vi.      Discussion took place about possible change to location

vii.      Greg Ratliff mentioned that he sent a questionnaire out to all teams who had participated in the Duals in the past about changing the date

b.      M.S. State

i.      Discussion took place about adding a qualifier

ii.      Discussion took place about a probable change in location for the event next year

c.       Regional Rep update – (Greg)

i.      Logansport Regional needed a representative- Tom Miller Lafayette Jeff Volunteered

ii.      Nick Kraus will replace Sam Riesen as Carroll Regional Representative (took place after the meeting)

iii.      Pendleton Heights regional needed a representative- Courtney Duncan of   Frankton was named as a possible replacement (took place after the meeting)

d.      Committees

i.      Greg Ratliff mentioned the need for volunteers for the IHSWCA Committees 

ii.      Jr. Academic All-State coordinator is needed

V.                  NWCA Update (Dave Cloud)

i.      Discussed NWCA Duals

ii.      Discussed Indiana having a CEO leadership academy

1.      Free NWCA CEO Leadership academy

2.      Looking for 40-50 coaches

3.      Looking for location

4.      Best practices for your program

5.      Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Pennsylvania have had one

6.      Contact Dave Cloud at dcloud@smcsc.com

VI.                Old Business

a.      Membership Update (JD)

1.      Covered during financial business

VII.              Other Business

i.      Dave Cloud asked about the feasibility of doing a Sophomore Academic All-state

ii.      Greg Ratliff said it would be on the next survey

VIII.            Any ideas or “items of concern”?

IX.                Good of the Order and Adjourn

Thanks Sam. Were there any discussions of new locations and dates of course nothing set in stone at this point but were any ideas thrown out?

Also really High on the MS State changes if they happen Driving home from Eville late saturday and the long day that is MS State makes that weekend one of the worst as a coach my body is just broken.

The main date for team state that's been looked at is the first regular competition Saturday in January. Meaning 3 weeks before sectional. This misses all conference tourney weekends and is usually outside of everyone's winter school break. Surprisingly, when given the option, only half of coaches would prefer that option over the current system of using the 22-23 December or 2-4 January, during Christmas break and squeezed in between holiday events. I believe that's the reason no change has been made yet.

On 11/7/2017 at 10:42 AM, Y2CJ41 said:

Middle School state should be combined with the Freshman/Sophomore state the weekend after the state finals.

That would work great as long as the system was set to limit the number of qualifiers to the state competition.  As it stood last year the large number of fresh/soph qualifiers that got invited to state causes for some decent size brackets and a long day too.  Hopefully after year one the qualification process get more streamline so the state brackets are manageable, state feels a little more prestigious, and we can add something like MS state to the same date.  

Edited by MattM

On 11/6/2017 at 1:54 PM, Fabio Jr. said:

Thanks Sam. Were there any discussions of new locations and dates of course nothing set in stone at this point but were any ideas thrown out?

Also really High on the MS State changes if they happen Driving home from Eville late saturday and the long day that is MS State makes that weekend one of the worst as a coach my body is just broken.

The discussion of the date pretty much consisted of either moving the event to the first competition weekend or keeping it at the same time frame as it is now.  The location discussion was mainly over the pro’s and con’s of Fort Wayne vs a more centralized location.  A lot comes down to logistics and the number of teams, number of mats, etc. 

2 hours ago, MattM said:

That would work great as long as the system was set to limit the number of qualifiers to the state competition.  As it stood last these the large number of fresh/soph qualifiers that invited to state  causes for some decent size brackets and a long day too.  Hopefully after year one the qualification process get more streamline so the state brackets are manageable, state feels a little more prestigious, and we can add something like MS state to the same date.  

The brackets ranged from 15-28 participants. That is definitely manageable.

1 hour ago, Y2CJ41 said:

The brackets ranged from 15-28 participants. That is definitely manageable.

Yes, overall the Fresh/Soph Brackets got done within a reasonable time.  For a first year event, those putting it on did well considering they had little clue who would show.  16-24 man brackets are workable, although it still makes for a long day.   

But under your combined plan I’m not sure it would get done at a decent time if the same number of F/S qualifiers showed and then add just as many for each of the 17 MS weights.  I like the combined idea since it helps wrestlers, coaches, parents, fans, etc. get a great display of our young talent. I’m sure it could be built up to feel like a true state finals experience too. But for that to occur and to get people cleared out before its super late they would have lower the number of qualifiers so the brackets are within reason for a 31 weight class event.    

And yes you could double or triple the competitor numbers, find a location where you can spread out between 2 gyms and a large fieldhouse, then run the finals like they are just another match on one of the random mat.  Things get done before midnight but I’m not sure that a state finals worthy format.   I’m talking about a state finals event where at least the semi-finals and finals get a little more “main gym” attention like the competitors deserve and more fan would be willing show see (in person or at least paying online).  Sure it’s not going to be a HS State Final type thing, but I think thing can be organized finish at a decent time and still highlight the best MS and Fresh/Soph wrestling in the state. 

Edited by MattM

" i.      Dave Cloud asked about the feasibility of doing a Sophomore Academic All-state"

As a parent of high school, middle school, and elementary wrestlers, I dont really see the benefit to a soph academic all-state. What I would rather like is a 8th grade academic all state. Same type of criteria only instead of class rank it could be principal/varsity coach recommendation along with particpation in middle school state. Having good grades in 7th would be the ongoing part. Giving middle schoolers an incentive to have good grades to set them up going into high school would be of more benefit in my mind. Kids dont realize how important those frosh/soph grades are until its too late, usually when they hear it from college programs their junior year.                               

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.