Nick Lee question

BrennanFan

Very impressive performance for Nick tonight at home vs. 10th Ranked Tommy Thorn of Minnesota.  

Major Dec 15-3.  Almost had the fall with a cradle late in the 3rd period.  Riding time near 3:00.  His was the featured match and ended the meet. (Minny FF  at 149)

Named CK Most Outstanding Wrestler of the Dual.

24 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Nick Lee is gonna be a problem for anyone for the rest of the season. I’m very impressed with how Cale is bringing him along.

While I enjoy Lee and he'll AA this year, Yianni is the man to beat at that weight as evidenced in their match here not so long ago. 

34 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

While I enjoy Lee and he'll AA this year, Yianni is the man to beat at that weight as evidenced in their match here not so long ago. 

141 is loaded besides Yanni D. Eirman Mizzou just beat two-time defending champ Dean Heil. Bryce Meredith WY and Kevin Jack NC State are ranked 1-2. Nick will do well to AA in that weight class. 

43 minutes ago, backtothemat said:

141 is loaded besides Yanni D. Eirman Mizzou just beat two-time defending champ Dean Heil. Bryce Meredith WY and Kevin Jack NC State are ranked 1-2. Nick will do well to AA in that weight class. 

Yes,there's more than just Yianni. In fact Eirman holds a 9-6 victory over Yianni. And Yianni holds a OT win over Meredith. Can Lee beat either of those, absolutely? Can he beat Yianni, sure. But I think they have faced off a couple times with Yianni holding the lead. Anything can happen, but one thing is for sure, 141 is going to be fun to watch. 

57 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Dean Hiel has looked terrible lately. 3-4 in his last 7 matches. He must be injured or something. 

The new rule that has changed some scramble stalemate into possible back exposure has hurt Hiel some.  He used to be able to defend most attacks from closest competition by working to that leg scramble stalemate.    Now the same defense against those guy would occasionally putting him in a danger of losing multiple points.   So he either doesn’t use that defense which changes his neutral style to a rarely scoring blocking off style.  Or he goes to that scramble defense but it causes him to occasionally bail leading to him giving up a takedown.   It was a pretty open weight class last year when Heil edged out a way to win, but the new rule set has caused some others to by pass him as he adjust to thing. 

5 hours ago, 1prouddad said:

Yes,there's more than just Yianni. In fact Eirman holds a 9-6 victory over Yianni. And Yianni holds a OT win over Meredith. Can Lee beat either of those, absolutely? Can he beat Yianni, sure. But I think they have faced off a couple times with Yianni holding the lead. Anything can happen, but one thing is for sure, 141 is going to be fun to watch. 

To my knowledge, Nick has only faced Yianni once.  The score was 12-7 and wasn't really that close.  That said, Nick has done well in the past avenging losses.  Not saying he will beat him next time, but wouldn't put it past him.  

My guess is Nick fits behind Yianni, Eierman, Meredith, Kevin Jack and Brock Zacherl, which would put him at 6.  He'll have to beat McKenna and if not win the Big Ten, finish 2nd to see that high of a seed I would guess.  Don't see the others losing before nationals.  Heil is the wild card.  As BrennanFan said, he's lost 4 of his last 7, including today to Ian Parker of Iowa St.  Parker moved up from 133 after Kanen Storr decided to transfer all of a sudden last week.  Not sure if he bounces back, where that would put him in the seeding.  Also not sure if he wins the B1G if they would seed him above Zacherl.  Zacherl won head to head, but will have faced nowhere near the level of competition.  

Still has matches against Ohio State, Iowa and Buffalo remaining before conference.  Lots of work to do, but is definitely heading in the right direction.

Edited by SWINfan

The VanBrills are pretty long and pretty tough on top, but Nick needs to be able to get out from underneath a little better to finish in the money. He's as solid as anyone at 141 in neutral, but his par terre will be exposed at Big10s and NCAAs if he doesn't continue to improve on bottom. Great year thus far, though, especially for a true freshman.  The sky is the limit 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Wrestlingaddict101 said:

I missed the Lee match... how did he do?

Won 11-8.  Gave up a late takedown when he had a shot at a major.  The late TD erased riding time keeping it close.  But he was one TD away from a major.  As MattM suggest, he grinded it out.

18 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Does Lee look like a small 141?

i thought lee beat Turk worse than the score showed. He’ll compete for the big ten title 

Penn State guys don’t cut much, if Lee wanted he could probably make 133

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the Lee vs. Red topic...looks like they'll be seeded #2 and #4 at Big 10's, meaning they'll be on opposite sides of the bracket and have a good chance of not meeting. The final is obviously a possibility and there's a small chance of course that they could meet in a 3/4 or wrestle back match. 

I know Nick handled him fairly easily the first time, but Tommy Thorn worries me a little in a rematch.  Assuming Thorn beats Carr, from IL.  Not worried about Weaver beating Nick, and think he would handle Carr.  Would love to see Nick get an opportunity to wrestle McKenna again....  in the final

5 hours ago, SWINfan said:

I know Nick handled him fairly easily the first time, but Tommy Thorn worries me a little in a rematch.  Assuming Thorn beats Carr, from IL.  Not worried about Weaver beating Nick, and think he would handle Carr.  Would love to see Nick get an opportunity to wrestle McKenna again....  in the final

That was my first thought as well. Thorn is a spoiler.. he is an all-american who beat the 3 seed last year and two of his losses were to the 2nd and 3rd place finisher. I think Nick beats him but it's got me worried. I have Nick winning it over Red in the finals!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.