Nick Lee question

BrennanFan

27 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

Well, I all I will say regarding Lee & Red is I believe Lee has the advantage being in the PSU wrestling room.

Also, it was a pleasure watching Micic & Lee last Friday night. Micic looked really good & Lee looked impressive until the 3rd period. It did appear he wore out a little. Was glad to hear about his Tech yesterday against Michigan State.

Sorry to hear about Hughes, hopefully he comes back strong next year. Does anyone have any insight about Tsirtis' season? It would be really nice to see multiple AA's from Indiana. Really good chance this year.

Micic, Lee, Red, Tsirtis, Welch - who are some of the other possibilities?

Lydy is ranked 15 just beat another ranked opponent 

Hudkins is also having another under-the-radar season. He's actually probably wrestling better than he did most of the season last year, but he's dropped just outside the rankings because of a couple of close losses to guys he finished ahead of in conference and national results at the end of last year. He dropped the same types of matches last year early also but roared back for a fantastic conference performance and then came within one close loss of being an All-American. 

Edited by maligned

Here are my thoughts on Red vs Lee II, if it happens....  I'm from Southern IN so I am a huge Nick Lee fan.

Pros for Lee
1.  I don't know who is in Nebraska's room or RTC, but I know Lee has some of the best competition in the country he sees daily.  Don't know how much he works with Retherford, but there can't be anyone better right now to drill with and learn from.  There has to be an infectious confidence when you can perform with that talent and have it all, including world class coaching in your corner.  
2.  Lee has done well at avenging losses.  In fact, I'm not sure I can think of any loss of his that came against someone he already wrestled.  He avenged freestyle losses to both Carter Happel and Mitchell McKee on his way to his Junior Fargo Title.  Both had teched him in their first match.  Other recent losses off the top of my head have been to Jaydin Eierman, Seth Gross, Yianni D, Kaden Gfeller and Brock Zacherl.  The only one of those not ranked in the top 10 currently is Gfeller and that was a wild match that Nick seemed to be taking control of before losing position in a scramble and taking the fall.  I'm not saying Nick would win a rematch against all of those, but I'd put my money on him beating Gfeller and Zacherl.  The only wrestler I can find that Nick lost twice to is Zahid Valencia, which was more than a few years ago.  Nick lost to him twice in the same tournament.  Based on all of that, I think Nick would be ready to go against Chad and there would be no doubts or mind monsters.
3.  Nick is hot right now and technically better than he was two years ago.
4. Schedule - this could go both ways...  With 7 duals remaining, Nick will likely face two ranked opponents, both likely Top 10 ranked in Tommy Thorn and Joey McKenna (not to mention wrestling under the pressure of a possible swing match in a 1 vs 2 dual meet.  He'll also face Purdue's Limmex this Friday who just beat Chad.  Lastly, he could face Carter Happel of Iowa (see #2).  Fortunately for him, both the Ohio State and Iowa matches will be at home with PSU's loud fan base behind him.  This schedule could knock him back to reality a bit or propel him to a path for All-American.  

Pros for Chad
1. Chad won match 1 in a huge match that had his 4 year, undefeated record on the line.  That's performing under pressure!
2. Chad has more college level matches under his belt and has faced better competition - Meredith twice, Alber, Jack, Thorn, Headlee this year, not to mention the experience he got last year wrestling unattached, including the 4th place Midlands finish.  
3. Schedule - this could go both ways....  But Chad has struggled with losses in 2 of his last 3.  With 7 duals remaining for Nebraska, Chad would face only one ranked opponent at this time, #19 Cole Weaver.  I didn't count MSU's Gasca because he'll certainly drop from 20 after the thrashing he took yesterday.  That could give him the opportunity to build his confidence back and get into a groove before the B1G Championships.  It could also hurt him a bit without having top competition going in

All of that said, I hope like hell Nick wins and think it is very possible he will.  But Chad pulled off a major win the first time under a ton of pressure, so if I have to pick, I'd take Chad unless I see something between now and then that changes my mind.  Like the first time, it could truly be a flip of the coin type match up.  Both wrestlers are great representatives of IN wrestling and I hope both do well in the bigger picture.

Yeah I forgot about it’s Sliga! Such a dominant high school and middle school kid and lost his groove in college but I’m glad to see him still at it. 

Hudkins is tough! He’ll make strides for the tournament like he did last year. 

What ever happened to his teammate Neil Molloy?

Micic, Lee and Red all have great potential to AA this year.

The next level:

Lydy is red hot and has some great wins this year. A solid darkhorse at NCAAs

Tsirtsis hasn't officially won a spot in the starting lineup, but seems like a solid possibility to AA if he gets the nod. His 149 rival, Josh Maruca, is very solid

Luke Welch, Streck, Hudkins all have had excellent seasons and are legit buy-low AA candidates 

Zack Davis of Navy and Ben Harvey of Army are having very solid seasons as well. They are more like AA longshots but could pull a big upset or two 

Can't quite see Sliga finishing as an AA, as he has really struggled to beat better competition 

8 hours ago, BClark said:

I would guess being in that PSU room with those studs every day does a lot for confidence. Those guys wrestle with so much "swagger" -- it seems infectious.  

Also, was Lee at full strength that year he wrestled Red in the finals? Didn't he miss most of that season?

Ya know.I truly thought about that and I know that Lee missed some time and even tho I was never a Chad Red fan I know greatness when I see it(I'm a frustrated dolphins fan that has to reluctantly agree that Brady is the best Qb ever?) and I respect him but I couldn't find it in me to discredit Reds top game that much.I believe he was so underrated in the Top position because he never really had many people make him HAVE to ride them.Also another reason I do not think him missing some time hurt him at all he destroyed everyone else he faced and showed no signs of being rusty or out of shape..matter of fact he majored a State Champion in the semis I believe. It was Brendan Black who was really dominant and woulda gave Red his best match if Lee wasn't there.Black was one of the best in the top position also. He turned pretty much everyone he wrestled and Lee didn't show no signs of rust or fatigue. I don't care if Lee wrestled 50 matches that season he was not gonna beat Brendan Black much worse then he did if any. Lee wrestled 17 matches before he got to Red, but I'd bet 8-10 of his matches were against really tough opponents that let him get plenty of mat time in before he got to Red.And who knows how long he had been practicing before he came back.same situation as now his partners are as good as they come.I usually think missing part of a season hurts wrestlers but I don't think it mattered in this spot because of when the match took place. I don't think very many wrestlers in the history would be able to not only escape from Red but not many would even be able to stay off of their back and out of that nasty cradle that he has hit so many nationally ranked guys in it including Lee and I believe he pinned one of the top ranked wrestlers in the nation at the time Luke Pletcher also with the cradle. I probably sound ridiculous saying this and I mean absolutely no disrespect to either guy either and It is kind of weird to me for some reason and maybe it's because I did see them wrestle each other in person at the bank but for some reason this still gives me the feeling of a High School match. Lol I think after this first match between them in college then it will finally start to get the feel of College Wrestling. 

I’m a major Lee fan and I’d say 6th a little high based on his current resume.  Not saying he can’t get there, but he hasn’t proven he’s top 6 yet.  I’d place him around 10th currently with room to improve. I’m sure PSU is banking on a AA finishing for him and hopefully he gets there by the end of the season. 

I’d put a similar ranking for Red based on his recent struggles. Maybe around 8th or 9th, but that could change depending on his next few matches.      

Either way Big10s will be exciting and both will be one match away from AA status. 

24 minutes ago, Wrestlingaddict101 said:

I wish they wouldn't of pulled his redshirt. I know he can make some noise and AA this year but would like to see if he could win a couple titles and I think he has a better chance at that if he redshirts his freshman year like Red did. 

There’s a chance they can redshirt him down the line. They’ve done that with Zain and megaludis. Also helps if he gets injured later

7 hours ago, Thor said:

There’s a chance they can redshirt him down the line. They’ve done that with Zain and megaludis. Also helps if he gets injured later

True...but he essentially takes this year of being an underdog instead of a future year where he'd be a favorite. He can beat anyone already, but the chance he runs the table at NCAAs feels slimmer than it would next year or the year after when he would have taken his redshirt in PSU's original plan.

1 hour ago, maligned said:

True...but he essentially takes this year of being an underdog instead of a future year where he'd be a favorite. He can beat anyone already, but the chance he runs the table at NCAAs feels slimmer than it would next year or the year after when he would have taken his redshirt in PSU's original plan.

I think they may be considering the outcome of the team race by pulling his red shirt; especially with Cortez's recent injury.

8 hours ago, Justin Ratliff said:

I think they may be considering the outcome of the team race by pulling his red shirt; especially with Cortez's recent injury.

Sources have told me that's the only reason they pulled Nick's red shirt this year. If Cortez was healthy they would've let him have the spot even though Nick will probably score more points at the NCAAs. 

Penn State @ Maryland this afternoon.  Match just underway with 125 complete.  133 may be quick as Maryland's wrestler is 2-10.

Lee will wrestle Ryan Diehl who was ranked earlier in the season but has taken some lumps recently and is 8-7 on the season.  Diehl lost by TF to OSU's Joey McKenna and by Fall to Chad Red.  Expect Nick to dominate.

Lee with a MD 22-10.  He got caught with a cement mixer and gave up 2 points but rolled off his back to avoid more.  Also gave up a revers, but the rest of the match it was pretty much take down, ride a bit, release, wash, rinse repeat.  Riding time was in the neighborhood of 2:00.

Next up is Minnesota Friday night against 10th ranked Tommy Thorn and Sunday vs Rutgers and Mike Vasnchenkbrill who is 9-7 on the season.  The following week is Ohio State and Iowa back to back.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.