Nick Lee question

BrennanFan

4 minutes ago, MattM said:

From what I read he hurt his shoulder in pre-season somehow.  Nothing improve and the doctor said he needed shoulder surgery.

Thanks.  I saw he wrestled in the Michigan State Open early, but not in a recent event, so wasn't sure if it was an injury, short or long term, or just letting someone else step in for a match.  

Next up: Purdue Friday night.  Lee will face Nate Limmex who is 18-9 ish and has some Top 20 wins including beating Chad Red Friday night.  Several IN kids on Purdue so should be fun to watch.

Edited by SWINfan

2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

I was kinda surprised Limmex beat Chad Red the way he did. Chads been scouted for sure and isn’t able to funk out so much when people get in on his legs. 

Not taking away from Limmex he did a great job but Chad has got to minimize the way his opponents are getting in on him.

He needs to attack more like capable of as well...He's awful tough to stop once he gets going

3 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

He needs to attack more like capable of as well...He's awful tough to stop once he gets going

I saw the matched he lost to Carr of Illinois and after the first takedown, Red seemed defensive and on his heels.   Carr was the aggressor and ultimately controlled the match.  My guess is Red beats him if they face each other again, but I'm not sure where he is at.  Losing to Meredith and Jack is understandable, but Carr and Limmex was surprising.  Penn St. doesn't wrestle Nebraska so Lee - Red II will have to wait until the conference tournament, perhaps.

8 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

I saw the matched he lost to Carr of Illinois and after the first takedown, Red seemed defensive and on his heels.   Carr was the aggressor and ultimately controlled the match.  My guess is Red beats him if they face each other again, but I'm not sure where he is at.  Losing to Meredith and Jack is understandable, but Carr and Limmex was surprising.  Penn St. doesn't wrestle Nebraska so Lee - Red II will have to wait until the conference tournament, perhaps.

I’d really love to see Red/Lee II. After watching Lee’s match today it’s hard not to take him in a rematch with Red. Looked incredibly slick on his feet and on top. 

3 hours ago, Caleb Spires said:

I’d really love to see Red/Lee II. After watching Lee’s match today it’s hard not to take him in a rematch with Red. Looked incredibly slick on his feet and on top. 

Looks like Big 10's will be the place we'll have to see it. It's not the strongest weight for the Big 10 in terms of national title contenders. Both guys should be in the top 2-5 seeds if both wrestle reasonably similarly to their season results so far.

23 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Lee versus Red for the B10 championship!

I have been really thinking and wondering about this match, and this could be one of the dumbest posts I have ever done because I may be higher on how important confidence is in wrestling than anyone I know. Just because I have seen so many wrestlers wrestle TOTALLY different matches when they had confidence compared to when they didn't have a whole lot of confidence. It is like a night and day difference sometimes. I just don't know if this still applies as much or not the higher level you get to.

I honestly think Lee has looked better in college so far in limited time and if you didn't follow these guys in indiana and watch their finals match then most would definitely take Lee. But what I'm thinking is when a wrestler wrestles with much more confidence than he normally does it can make you more aggressive and you will open up your offense and attack more. Here is my question and I really shoulda did a poll to see because I'm really curious what people think.but never have done one on here. Does the fact that Chad Red beating Nick Lee just a few years ago in the Finals of state have any effect at all on how this match would go? Surely Red is really confident that he can beat him because he did it not long ago. and you know Red has to also be thinking he has improved more than Lee since then because he has had more College Practices and matches than Lee has.he wasn't so sure he could beat Lee at the time IMO(so don't roast me).  I know when it comes down too it it may not matter at all that he has beaten Lee at his best at the time. but I know when I wrestled someone I knew was one of the best in the state(or nation really) for the first time then I had some doubts in my head and I didn't have all the confidence I usually had when I'd hit a move or wrestle someone period. But the next time I wrestled them after I did beat them the first time then I knew I'd beaten them before and I could do it again but probably by more points because I believed i practiced harder than anyone at the time and I felt no one would improve more than me because that's what motivated me knowing that if someone improved more or practiced harder than me then he would beat me next time, so my confidence was sky high that I could take him down(or hold him down) and beat him worse. But on the other side of the equation what is Nick Lee feeling/thinking when they wrestle? Is he more confident this time and motivated because he wants to avenge the loss and prove to Indiana fans and coaches that he is the better Indiana recruit? Or will he be less confident knowing that as dominant as he was to everyone his Junior year in HS that he couldn't do too much against Chad Red and Red has had to get A lot better since then being in Nebraska's room the past year and a half(don't know exactly how long) and knowing how good of coaches he has including his dad(Red Sr) that also helped coach him when he was younger?

Either way I really hope it happens this year because they are both 100℅ Healthy and are very young and were both awesome recruits and are learning a whole lot and are getting significantly better  every single live College match.It will be exciting no matter when or where it takes place but I'd love for it to really have something on the line during it like in the finals of a tournament or in a really tight team race just to add to the emotions and atmosphere.

Thoughts please. And sorry this is so long and may not even have any effect at all on the outcome when they wrestle next time. But This is a message board and instead of me wondering about this all by my lonesome I have you great "Indianamatters" to ask and hear what y'all think about it.lol. wow I really came up with that name for us. I like it.we need this on a shirt and I'd buy it .

#IndianaMatters

Naturally confidence has a lot to do with your performance in any sport, actually in life in general so there is no debating Red would look better when he believes he will win.

I don't agree with your analysis that "Red has to also be thinking he has improved more than Lee since then because he has had more College Practices and matches" -- Lee has been in the Penn State room drilling with extremely talented wrestlers.  Advantage Lee.

Their high school match was as even as you could get.  Red won, but many had Lee winning the match after watching the replay and the back points awarded.  I have watched Red 4x this year and he is not the same wrestler he was in high school.  I hope he can string together a bunch of wins and make a run at AA; Lee is looking fantastic and is definitely in the mix for the final 8.

Confidence is everything in wrestling, including life! 

Do you ever hook a fish with with a lure you are not confident in? Probably not. 

Lee gets pushed in the room by the best in the nation...Red not so much  

Red was the better high school wrestler 4x versus 1x... 

Red owns a win over Lee and that has to help his confidence. But Lee’s loss has to drive him nuts every day and he likely seeks revenge. 

I hope they both AA this year as both have represented indiana quite well. 

First match in college between the two will probably be like the last match in high school—- close! Red will turn it up for Lee. 

9 minutes ago, Indysportsfan said:

I don't agree with your analysis that "Red has to also be thinking he has improved more than Lee since then because he has had more College Practices and matches" -- Lee has been in the Penn State room drilling with extremely talented wrestlers.  Advantage Lee.

I would guess being in that PSU room with those studs every day does a lot for confidence. Those guys wrestle with so much "swagger" -- it seems infectious.  

Also, was Lee at full strength that year he wrestled Red in the finals? Didn't he miss most of that season?

Call it a mid-season slump of sports.  Took a couple loses, got a little dinged up, not use to the college grind.........

Red’s gotta get in his groove again and he’ll be just fine.  I’d assume the Nebraska coaches will be monitoring the situation and doing what they think is necessary to have CJ physically and mentally ready to go by Conference.  The kids still the same talent he’s always been he just has to believe it, then trust in the coaches to put him in the best position to succeed and the tools he has to win matches.  

Disclaimer- I’m a big fan of Lee because I’m a southerner. I’m a big fan of Red after watching him at the Mater Dei classic over the years. 

I thought Lee would beat Red by 3-4 points in high school but was wrong. I root for both in college. 

21 hours ago, MattM said:

From what I read he hurt his shoulder in pre-season somehow.  Nothing improve and the doctor said he needed shoulder surgery.

sorry, it may have been an injury suffered at a latora leg camp this summer when he was wrestling my 80lb son.  Being down in score he chose down in the 3rd period.  Well the top work is stellar for any Latora grad and the rest is history with Drew needing shoulder work done...............Another Latora graduation success story.......sorry Drew as my son told him he does have some region roots in him.................LOL !!!  

Not an excuse at all, but I don't believe Lee was 100% for that match with Red.  I think him getting ridden like he did in the 3rd period would not have happened if he had had a full seasons worth of matches.  I think it may have been a conditioning issue in the 3rd.  If they wrestled today, I'd have Lee winning.  Spending the last year and a half or so in the NLWC and being around those PSU guys and coaches is better than what Red has at Nebraska.

2 minutes ago, MD92 said:

Not an excuse at all, but I don't believe Lee was 100% for that match with Red.  I think him getting ridden like he did in the 3rd period would not have happened if he had had a full seasons worth of matches.  I think it may have been a conditioning issue in the 3rd.  If they wrestled today, I'd have Lee winning.  Spending the last year and a half or so in the NLWC and being around those PSU guys and coaches is better than what Red has at Nebraska.

I can't believe I am going to say this about MD92, but......................this post is not far off base and actually I agree with it.  Holy cow people down stairs are getting cold drinks.......... LOL (just kidding man)      #TheCounty   #PainTrain

I've thought about this (Red v Lee in college) and wondered a lot of the same things you all are expressing. I wonder, in terms of confidence, if Lee would have some "reservations" in the back of his mind wrestling Red again?? Sometimes, a guy might just have your number?? Not saying this is the case in this scenario...but you all know what I'm talking about. Different styles work better against certain wrestlers etc...

Nick lost 6-5, it's not like he went out there and got teched.  I'm sure he would love to get back on the mat with Red.  Highly doubt there are and "reservations".  If anything, Lee probably feels like he let that one get away.  That match was 2 years ago.  I'm sure a lot has changed for both guys since then.

Edited by MD92

1 hour ago, MD92 said:

Just playing the devil's advocate here, but Lee has followed exactly the same formula as he did versus Red several times this year: out of the chute like a bat out of hell--but can't quite yet maintain that pace for the whole match and gives up points late.

He almost got into danger in his big first non-redshirt match against Michigan--after dominating for a period and a half, he faded some because he was out-of-his-shoes aggressive and gave up some points just from fatigue late. The key difference I see right now between his development and Andrew Howe at this similar point is that Howe had a controlled, paced pressure game that wore down opponents rather than throwing the kitchen sink at everyone in the first minute and struggling late. With that said, Lee's upside feels like it will be OFF THE CHARTS when he learns to reign it in a little.

Edited by maligned

Well, I all I will say regarding Lee & Red is I believe Lee has the advantage being in the PSU wrestling room.

Also, it was a pleasure watching Micic & Lee last Friday night. Micic looked really good & Lee looked impressive until the 3rd period. It did appear he wore out a little. Was glad to hear about his Tech yesterday against Michigan State.

Sorry to hear about Hughes, hopefully he comes back strong next year. Does anyone have any insight about Tsirtis' season? It would be really nice to see multiple AA's from Indiana. Really good chance this year.

Micic, Lee, Red, Tsirtis, Welch - who are some of the other possibilities?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.