• Announcements

• Y2CJ41

Board Rules and Regulations

If you find TheIndianaMat.com Message Boards helpful or interesting, then you know how important it is to keep the boards clean and accurate. Please only post messages that are genuine questions or attempts to share knowledge.   In order to ensure that the boards are as helpful and enjoyable as possible to as many people as possible, we have established the following rules for the boards. No message may   1. Contain, promote, or link to sexually explicit or violent material. 2. Promote, depict, or link to material that promotes or depicts discrimination based on race, gender, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, or age; 3. Contain unlawful material, including but not limited to materials that may violate another's intellectual property rights, or links to a site that contains such material; 4. Contain information regarding or promoting illegal activity, or linking to a site that provides such information; Contains spam, pyramid schemes, or other unrelated advertising material; or 5. Is considered by us to be obscene, excessively violent, threatening, harassing or otherwise objectionable; or Is deemed by us to be unsuitable for any other reason. 6. If we decide that a post is unacceptable, we will remove the post. Depending on the severity of the post or the past history of the user who made the post, we may rescind that user's membership. 7. Advertising for goods and services will only be allowed by our paid sponsors. 8. Topics and discussions need to be in their proper forum. Repeated failure to follow this could result in permanent restriction on posting on this forum. Since we can't have a rule to cover everything, this is the rule to, well, cover everything. This is a public board, so act like you would if you were in a public place.These issues are left to the discretion of individual moderators, but may include any material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, discussion of alleged felonies and misdemeanors, misleading, spammy, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, sexist, obscene, racist, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, that otherwise violates any law, or that encourages conduct constituting a criminal offense. Asking for or offering any of the material listed above is also out not permitted. Thank you for helping to maintain the quality of our boards.   -- The IndianaMat.com Team
Sign in to follow this  
BrennanFan

Nick Lee question

Freshman at PSU this season after training with the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club for his last year of HS.  Sounds like Joe maybe taking a similar path this season   

The question really is does Nick start immidiately due to being the best option or maybe the only option to make the weight for weight class?  Or can everyone else in the light weights cut to the optimal spot and be competitive so he can red-shirt?  

I know he's itching to contribute and would be competitive this year, but I'd like to see him redshirt due to the career he could put together over the following 4 years.   

I think Sanderson is still mauling that one over.  And he still maybe playing around with light weight lineup options for some of this season.  I wouldn't be suprised if a few people shift around in the lightweight lineup as the season continues nor if Sanderson considers pulling a redshirt in order to optimize his lightweight lineup for NCAA's.    

I remember hearing someone suggest last year he should start the next two years in case he wanted to take an Olympic redshirt year in 2020. Not sure if that’s what he and Penn State would want to do, but I think it would be cool to see him start as soon as possible and still try to make a run at the Olympics. 

Of course, PSU is still likely a top-2 team for the next 4 years whether Nick redshirts this year or not. 

Thanks everyone for the answers. So I'm guessing he'll redshirt this season then start next year. 

I was under the impression that he could use his redshirt whenever he wanted to and he could also use the olympic redshirt in addition. So he could have 2 redshirt years. 

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Thanks everyone for the answers. So I'm guessing he'll redshirt this season then start next year. 

I was under the impression that he could use his redshirt whenever he wanted to and he could also use the olympic redshirt in addition. So he could have 2 redshirt years. 

He can use the "normal" redshirt any year but it is a decision the coaches are involved with.  The Olympic redshirt obviously can only be used during the Olympic year but he must qualify for it.  Olympic redshirts are not common.

That means a wrestler has 5 years to wrestle collegiatley in 4 of those years.  An Olympic redshirt gives you 6 years to wrestle 4 years.

Regarding the OP, to my knowledge this year is his first year collegiatley. 

Edited by Alduflux

It was my understanding that the initial plan (and reason for going up there last year) was to wrestle this year and plan a hopeful Olympic redshirt in 2 years.  As often plans do, they can change.  I have no idea if anything has changed or not, so he could still red shirt this year.  If he competes to wrestle this year, it appears his primary competition would be Jared Cortez, a transfer from Illinois, I believe.  

Note regarding the "initial plan"... that came from a 2nd hand source and one I feel is reliable.  But it did not come directly from anyone in the Lee family.

Type of Redshirts
"Normal" Redshirt- Can be taken any time for any reason. Most are done freshman year, but there are many cases of them being taken later on. Wrestlers cannot participate in duals or on the "team roster" at an individual event during this time.
Injury Redshirt- This will be given if the wrestler has not used the normal redshirt and the wrestler only participated in X% of events. I believe it is something like 25%, but don't hold me to it. You cannot take an injury redshirt and a normal redshirt*.
Olympic Redshirt- The NCAA has cracked down on bogus Olympic redshirts by setting criteria for this. The criteria is basically qualifying for the Olympic Trials or being a past World Medalist. Here is the link to the criteria for 2016 http://content.themat.com/forms/2016-Olympic-Redshirt-Criteria.pdf

*6th Year- Normally wrestlers have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. Wrestlers can get a 6th year if they take a normal or injury redshirt, then get an Olympic redshirt. They can also get a 6th year based on injury if they can prove they missed a significant portion of the season due to injury in two separate years. Lastly, they can get a hardship waiver and redshirt such as Jason Tsirtsis did. That one seems very hard to get and I can't remember it being used ever until Tsirtsis' situation.

Anyone care to explain what happened in the Jess Settles situation?  He was a Iowa basketball player in the nineties who played three full seasons, one partial season (3 games), then sat out a full season, then played another full season.  So he played 4 full seasons and one partial season spread out over six basketball seasons.  I always was confused by that one.

I understand the partial season (injury) but why was he allowed to sit out an additional season?  I guess that "6th year" injury rule applied.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jess-settles-1.html

Edited by Alduflux

A quick google search mentions injuries

Settles, an injury-worn forward who was a star early in his Hawkeye career, was granted a sixth year of eligibility.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/basketball-men/2016/03/12/tom-davis-iowa-basketball-sweet-16-1999-moments-madness/81547880/