Darren Elkins this weekend

It's not talked about here often on this discussion board as others, but Darren Elkins has had quite the UFC career.  If you get a chance to watch Darren's last fight, you might be able to understand how tough of a guy Darren really is.  I watched the fight from my sofa with my wife, and to be honest.  I was hoping the ref would stop it because I can't see a situation where Darren would quit and I was worried for his safety........and 5 min later he knocks the guys out to get what some have called one of the best comebacks in the history of UFC.

Darren has his biggest fight of his career this Saturday on Fox if you get a chance to watch a fellow Hoosier as Co-Main event for UFC Fight Night.  

Elkins has represented Indiana well. 12-4 ufc record and was up against the well known and always tough Duane Ludwig in his first UFC fight. 

Id be interested to know how many ufc fighters have came from Indiana who have NOT wrestled. It seems like every fighter indiana has produced wrestled. 

Elkins has surpassed fitch and is closing in on Lyttle on the most accomplished fighter from Indiana  

Fighters who wrestled--

Herman

obrien

lytle 

head

brooks

elkins

fitch

bonner

wineland

fighters who didn't wrestle--

mittrione 

holbrook??

Duffee

torres?

3 minutes ago, MattM said:

Navy80,

Kurt Kinser had a decent run in the lower circuits.   I believe he's moved on to other options though.  

Yeah he did and I always wonder why he didn't go further with his mma career. Was rooting for him

20 hours ago, navy80 said:

Yeah he did and I always wonder why he didn't go further with his mma career. Was rooting for him

Was undefeated until he finally took a split decisions loss a couple years ago.   Then nothing has came up sense then.  Agree he seemed like a decent prospect.   Like many other fighters maybe the financial, time, & travel burdens of training to make the next level cause him to exit the sport to find a stable income source.  

Edited by MattM

18 hours ago, navy80 said:

Elkins has surpassed fitch and is closing in on Lyttle on the most accomplished fighter from Indiana  

I respect your opinion but I would say that Fitch still has the edge. Elkins is a tough dude, I wrestled against him in high school and I have never seen anyone take punches like he did in that last fight. 

That being said, Fitch was undefeated in the UFC and a number 1 contender before losing a 5-round title fight to George St. Pierre by decision (who is arguably one of the greatest fighters of all time). 

I hope Elkins can get to that level and be the main card on a pay-per-view but he hasn't done it yet. Although, I will say Elkins is a much more exciting fighter to watch than Fitch. I will be rooting for him to pick up a big win this weekend. 

1 hour ago, SpartanGrappling said:

I respect your opinion but I would say that Fitch still has the edge. Elkins is a tough dude, I wrestled against him in high school and I have never seen anyone take punches like he did in that last fight. 

That being said, Fitch was undefeated in the UFC and a number 1 contender before losing a 5-round title fight to George St. Pierre by decision (who is arguably one of the greatest fighters of all time). 

I hope Elkins can get to that level and be the main card on a pay-per-view but he hasn't done it yet. Although, I will say Elkins is a much more exciting fighter to watch than Fitch. I will be rooting for him to pick up a big win this weekend. 

I can agree with that, especially after researching it.  Fitch was 15-3-1 in the UFC. His only losses were to GSP and Johnny Hendricks (both former champions), Demian Mia (who is fighting for a title soon), and he tied with all time great and former champ, BJ Penn.  

Since Fitch left the UFC, he has went 6-2.  

I bet Fitch would still be in the top 15 if Dana the Dictator White liked him and kept him...

19 hours ago, MattM said:

Was undefeated until he finally took a split decisions loss a couple years ago.   Then nothing has came up sense then.  Agree he seemed like a decent prospect.   Like many others maybe the financially and time burdens of training to get to the next level cause him to exit the sport to find a stable income.  

Good point...  you never know the persons situation and burdens they face.  

I feel like Miguel Torres has to be in this discussion as well, right?  I mean at the height of his career he was the WEC champion and largely considered a top 10 pound for pound fighter. 

His career fell off FAST and I realize he fought at less "accomplished" weight but he was VERY good in his prime.

Matt jaggers,Anthony lapsley and myself all trained together and fought in shows from Kotc,EliteXc, bellator, Axs.Tv  and the UFC Pretty much training ourselves..brooks and the newer class are doing the smart thing and going else where for better coaching and partners...Indiana is home to some rough necks.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

36 minutes ago, Bash513 said:

I feel like Miguel Torres has to be in this discussion as well, right?  I mean at the height of his career he was the WEC champion and largely considered a top 10 pound for pound fighter. 

His career fell off FAST and I realize he fought at less "accomplished" weight but he was VERY good in his prime.

He is listed at the top of the thread as "fighters who didn't wrestle."   Yes very much a stud at lightweight in the early years of WEC.  Unfortunately, he ended up suffering some tough loses just before the UFC started merging the WEC talent into their fold.  

Elkins win with a split decision.   Decent amount of action both standing and on the ground.   Elkins clear winner of round 1. Second round was debatable but two judges give it to Elkins.  Bermudes gets the 3rd round. 

Elkins should be able to move into the Top 10 Rankings with the win.  

Edited by MattM

On 7/21/2017 at 4:19 PM, MattM said:

Tristan Yunker has a few solid win in MMA, many of which with his "Tarantula" arm bar off a nasty headlock.   

Yep.. Beat UFC vet Halverson with it I was In his corner in Texas... also threw Hector Lombard in a head lock and almost had him in it... subbed clay Guida with a RNC as well..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.