Tough New Wrestling Schedule

After seeing a few teams dropping out of Indiana Holiday Tournaments and few other teams that's been added to other National tournament. 

I know Avon has dropped out of Mater Dei Classic and Portage is out of Al Smith this year and both signed a long term deal to go Brecksville Invitational Holiday Tournament near Cleveland, Ohio . (50+Teams, 2016-17... 4 National Ranked Teams, 10+ Nationally Ranked individuals 

What other schools have changed their schedule ? 

What schools have filled in for Avon & Portage in their absence at these Holiday Tournaments ? 

With Avon backing out of the Mater Dei Classic & Portage out of the Al Smith does that WEAKEN those 2 tournaments? Is the Ohio tournament on the same weekend or is it a matter of the goofy IHSAA too many duals, matches, or whatever the rule is?

With Avon backing out of the Mater Dei Classic & Portage out of the Al Smith does that WEAKEN those 2 tournaments? Is the Ohio tournament on the same weekend or is it a matter of the goofy IHSAA too many duals, matches, or whatever the rule is?

Depends on who those tournament bring in. Mater Dei over the past few years has seen a decline in teams pulling out . I think 12 team in (2016) 

Unsure for Al Smith . 

Its the same week, during Christmas break right after Team State.  Brecksville is a individual tournament like most holiday tournaments. 

Depends on who those tournament bring in. Mater Dei over the past few years has seen a decline in teams pulling out . I think 12 team in (2016) 

Unsure for Al Smith . 

Its the same week, during Christmas break right after Team State.  Brecksville is a individual tournament like most holiday tournaments. 

Al Smith has been 32 teams for as long as I can remember.  We made a decision as a coaching staff that allowed us to drop an event that we have the ability to see ten teams that we already see during our regular season, for a national event.  

We more than likely have more changes to our schedule, but this is one that is already set in stone and contracts have been signed.

I get that teams want better competition but why pull out of MD when you haven’t won it? I’m scratching my head on this one.

EMD tourney is a great tourney. Anyone that says it's not... is a fool. With that said, we make the trip down there for semi state also. It appears that Avon is just opting for a different tournament, with some fresh opponents. We look forward to seeing our southern Indiana friends at semistate. The Ohio tournament is a great opportunity, and we are exited for the new challenge.

Btw... the Brownsburg schedule is brutal. Their schedule has completely changed within the last couple years. Adding new challenges has helped them. Those boys are battle tested. 

Wrestling as a whole is evolving in our area. We are and will continue to make changes to look for more challenges to continue to improve. This change of schedule may end up being a step backwards. Our kids may get killed by all of the nationally rank guys. Or maybe... one or two may step up and make some noise. Only time will tell. 

Edited by Mattyb

The Al Smith is a tough tournament, but it doesn't do much for National rankings.  If a wrestling team is into setting the bar higher and getting the national ranking, then Brecksville is the way to go.    If the the 300 mile travel rule doesn't conflict, then kudos to teams getting in Brecksville. 

The Al Smith is a tough tournament, but it doesn't do much for National rankings.  If a wrestling team is into setting the bar higher and getting the national ranking, then Brecksville is the way to go.    If the the 300 mile travel rule doesn't conflict, then kudos to teams getting in Brecksville. 

That "rule" (which makes 0 sense) will be the bane of our in season promotion at a national level. Same reason EMD had to leave the cheese head. If Blair, Brandon, Clovis etc decide man we should go to Brecksville then its Game over. Them and Portage are known for going after the competition which I enjoy. Its a reason that Avon and EMD are where they are now.  We picked up the Detroit Central Catholic Invite this year so more teams are spreading there feelers out which is a good thing all around.

Maybe the Ohio coaches will work with the Indiana teams on the 300 rule and limit some teams.  I think Brecksville will be ok anyway, as the big hitters like Blair, Brandon, Clovis, etc go to the Ironman in December.  It would be redundant and not very time and cost effective to travel two times to Northeast Ohio for a tournament that's not as high rated.

I think going to Detroit Central Catholic is good for Brownsburg.   Its good competition and will let the national rankers know how good you guys are.

Maybe the Ohio coaches will work with the Indiana teams on the 300 rule and limit some teams.  I think Brecksville will be ok anyway, as the big hitters like Blair, Brandon, Clovis, etc go to the Ironman in December.  It would be redundant and not very time and cost effective to travel two times to Northeast Ohio for a tournament that's not as high rated.

I think going to Detroit Central Catholic is good for Brownsburg.   Its good competition and will let the national rankers know how good you guys are.

Why do we need the national rankers to tell us how good Brownsburg is ???  

Fabio Jr has already told us how good the burg is and he is the formost leading expert on anything wrestling from elementary state champs ('16) to HS ('16/'17) and beyond (WWE) !!!!

If Fabio Jr says it its true.........In Fabio Jr we trust !!!   #TheCounty

p.s. Snyder and Seymour are OK too !!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.